20g long low tech dirted tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
20g long low tech dirted tank

First post! The plan for my tank pretty low tech for lights and ferts but I plan is this I'm takeing a spare 20 long and put in an internal sump, thank you Joey! Just to hide my heater if I need one and the filtration, diy canister again from Joey minus lava rock which is being used to build my scape under the topsoil and gravel on top of the dirt. And some kind of rock in the scape as well. Stocking tbd. Plants planning dwarf sag on on side of the tank and micro sword on small island separated by sand. Maybe some java fern for accents in the rocks but unsure of anything else. Any suggestions gladly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 01:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Sounds interesting and welcome.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Day 2:
Since it been several days since the internal sum was installed an I'm doing a fish less cycle I installed the scape and filled to begin the cycle and remove the dirts that won't settle. After getting the scape in and looking at it I'm not completely happy and will be retuning to my lfs to get more stone. The Sagittarius was in so I have trimmed and planted to get them started the chain sword and annubias will come in the next few days. Pump is still a no go but sponge cannister is ready to go.

Bump: Thanks psalm! I have used this site for a long time for an poor first attempt at a planted tank and have learned a lot stalking the pages to learn what I can but finally decided to make an account and kind of document this tank and get help when and where i can

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Day 3
I have been thinking sticking for fish once the tank has cycled properly adding slower is what I am thinking
Cherry shrimp ( 10 or so added fist to allow breeding and settling into the tank)
Handful of fancy guppies
Celestial pearl danios (galaxy rasboras? About 10)
2 hillstream loaches
5 panda corys
1 powder blue gourami
I figure any guppy breeding or even over population of shrimp would be relatively maintained in the tank if I have any extra I have a betta community about that would love the treat. The tank will be pretty well stocked with plants for the fry not to mention the internal sump they could get into.
flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/shares/501a0F
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

[QUOTE=Linder25;10594530]Day 3
I have been thinking sticking for fish once the tank has cycled properly adding slower is what I am thinking
Cherry shrimp ( 10 or so added fist to allow breeding and settling into the tank)
Handful of fancy guppies
Celestial pearl danios (galaxy rasboras? About 10)
2 hillstream loaches
5 panda corys
1 powder blue gourami
I figure any guppy breeding or even over population of shrimp would be relatively maintained in the tank if I have any extra I have a betta community about that would love the treat. The tank will be pretty well stocked with plants for the fry not to mention the internal sump they could get into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 05:45 AM
Algae Grower

Also in the process of starting up a dirted 20G, gonna follow along with yours!
Linder25 and Linder25 like this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

20g long low tech dirted tank

Day 5
After another trip for rock to the lfs and thankfully a few plants are in so I reworked the tank and I'm much happier will more post pics when the water clears more and the driftwood actually sinks

Last edited by Linder25; 11-16-2017 at 07:53 AM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 04:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
What is the substrate on the right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
20 Gallon jungle tank

RAOK CLUB #0
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raith View Post
What is the substrate on the right?

All my substate is topsoil capped with you normal aquarium pea gravel. Short of the sand of course lol.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 06:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I like the hardscape style. Good luck with it, I look forward to seeing it after it fills out some.

75G Seachem Flourite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedood View Post
I like the hardscape style. Good luck with it, I look forward to seeing it after it fills out some.

Thank you i have high hopes for this little tank!

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 06:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linder25 View Post
Thank you i have high hopes for this little tank!

Good, you should ! Dirt works well. I'm a believer in the kiss method and love love love low tech setups.

75G Seachem Flourite

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Day 6
Another trip to the store to check if he had any ludwigia since I want a little red to the plants and this is low tech. Wisteria still not in he has some problems getting water wisteria in this part of South Georgia. The driftwood still has not sunk thinking of changing the water in the bucket it's in for warm water just to help for little while although it is already weighted down by some rocks in a bag.

As far a cycling goes amonnia is really high as expected by root tabs and a bit of dosing since fishless. Nitrites are building nitrates undetected. Heater and powerhead should be in tomorrow afternoon.
On a personal note I really like how the tank is panning out and find myself watching it even without any fish, which to be honest has me itching to add something but I'm staying strong for now lol.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Day 7
The heater and powerhead came in about 30 minutes ago and are now in the tank temp at 79 just to aid bacteria for now. Now the waiting game really starts having a fully functional tank makes the no fish part even harder.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So another trip to fish store for some harlequin rasboras for the tank above and low and behold two female guppy that in the green/ yellowish color came in for this tank and well we had to grab them then since he gets nothing but assorted and we don't know when more will be in. So the two girls are in our quarantine tank chilling for the next couple of weeks while this tank finishes cycling and we get the last two plants get in on Tuesday conveniently the same time the harlequin rasboras should be good to leave( tank mates battleing a bit of ick) again quarantine tank before the betta community.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode