Cypress Sparkle---Attempt on Semi-Self Sustain Biotope - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thumbs up Cypress Sparkle---Attempt on Semi-Self Sustain Biotope

Hey guys! I am a new member in plantedtank forum!

So I had this awesome idea of doing a semi-self sustain biotope base on Big Cypress National Preserve in South Florida. It will most likely be in a 50 gallon aquarium. We will be basically creating a mini ecosystem inside the aquarium, with only top offs if needed.

This mini ecosystem will include three stages, first plants, then small insects/faunas like daphnia, then fish. Since most swamps in the preserve has lots of cypress knees/aerial roots, I thought it would be cool to use Knees as the main hardscape.

Current stockings:

Faunas: American Flagfish
Pygmy Sunfish
Least Killifish

Daphnia
Numerous little interesting critters to form a base food chain

Plants: Algae
TBD

As you can see I am still on my research stage, if you guys can provide some sources or links for me to continue on researching especially on plants that will be great! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 05:05 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captin_Billy View Post
Hey guys! I am a new member in plantedtank forum!

So I had this awesome idea of doing a semi-self sustain biotope base on Big Cypress National Preserve in South Florida. It will most likely be in a 50 gallon aquarium. We will be basically creating a mini ecosystem inside the aquarium, with only top offs if needed.

This mini ecosystem will include three stages, first plants, then small insects/faunas like daphnia, then fish. Since most swamps in the preserve has lots of cypress knees/aerial roots, I thought it would be cool to use Knees as the main hardscape.

Current stockings:

Faunas: American Flagfish
Pygmy Sunfish
Least Killifish

Daphnia
Numerous little interesting critters to form a base food chain

Plants: Algae
TBD

As you can see I am still on my research stage, if you guys can provide some sources or links for me to continue on researching especially on plants that will be great! Thanks!
Sounds like you have your work cut out for you! I can't help with a self sustaining eco system...sorry. Would love to see the progress.

Good luck!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 02:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I recommend you take a look at the nanfa (North American Native Fish Association) website. Tons of information. I am doing a similar tank myself. Great people over there and helpful.

75G Seachem Flourite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

Last edited by thedood; 11-10-2017 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Grammar

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 02:46 PM
Algae Grower

Ooooh Pictures please? and a diary of the set up...

Can't give you advice because I am new at this hobby, but I hope you are successful.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 02:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Thanks. Its going to be next spring before that tank gets going. To many irons in the fire as it is. Cant wait to see yours. Good luck!

75G Seachem Flourite

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 03:21 PM
Algae Grower

Love this kind of set up, hope it goes well for you and keep us posted on your progress!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

- ~30G low everything, open top, dirted community aquascape ... thingy
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 07:06 PM
Planted Member

just to keep in mind a 50 gallon tank is very small for a population of more than one fish if you are planning on it being self sustaining. plan on needing to add food or having starving fish. even given time to have microorganisms start out their wont be enough to last a fish population for more than a few days. if you go forward with this definitely keep us posted on results.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 07:26 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I would agree with @skanderson, you will be extremely limited in stocking (think 1 very small fish max). Otherwise it will just be a slow starvation game. Personally, I have never seen someone actually pull off a self-sustaining ecosystem with any large organisms, you might be able to have a self sustaining shrimp population, but I doubt it will be very successful with fish.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 07:59 PM
Algae Grower

I had knees in a tank many years ago. Takes quite a while to saturate those suckers. I ended up having to drill holes in flat rocks and screwing the knees to the rocks as anchors. Sounds like a great project, though.

<"\\\><
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Wow, just got back from school and thanks guys for all the great comments!

@thedood thanks for the website I will check it out in 5 minutes, and good luck on your aquarium too! @skanderson and @Vohlk after some more researches I decided probably I would go with a 55-60 gallon aquarium now considering it will be much safer.

Here is one of the greatest journey thread I've came across some month ago, I'll post the link here for anyone who is interested, it is called Tom's Bucket O'Mud, the tank size is 63 gallons.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...-aquarium.html

here is one more inspiration,
Biotope in my study, a low-tech natural aquarium tuncalik.com ? Natural Aquariums and Sustainable Life

@aquazone oh really? I haven't thought about that yet...I guess I still need to look more onto those cypress knees, but since this biotope is around Big Cypress National Reserve, I thought it would make sense to use some cypress knees. Once again, thanks guys It is currently snowing outside and nearby ponds are all frozen, but I guess I'll go check it out (maybe there are still critters swimming around under the frozen surface) later in the day. As to pictures, as being said before, would you guys be interested to see some of the critters I caught 2 weeks ago? Because I am still at my research stage, and most likely I will be building my own aquarium (if I can get the permission from my dad ...

Just going to toss in a question here, would I be better off buying an aquarium or build my own? (cheaper the better, well duh and what material are the best? Plastic or Glass?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 09:54 AM
Algae Grower

Tom's Bucket is one of my big inspirations too!

As for building your own, I'm guessing it's different from country to country but in Sweden it's far more expensive to build your own than to buy one, at least if you want a glass tank. If you go with acrylic, you run the risk of getting a very scratched up tank, but if you're not too bothered by that, acrylic does have its benefits (but also other drawbacks...).

Personally, unless I wanted very specific measurements I wouldn't make one myself. If you're short on money, get a used tank. If it's sprung a leak you can reseal it yourself; silicone is usually cheap.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 09:55 AM
Algae Grower

Do you have a place for it; rough measurements of how big it's allowed to be?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode