first planted 20 gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
first planted 20 gallon

so i started a planted tank for the first time a few months ago and i wanted to keep track of my progress and get some advice as i progress.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1550.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	801618
i started this tank late august, 2017. it was originally meant to be a low tech low maintenance tank that would grow slowly and i could learn from. I had a finnex 24/7 on a siesta 4 on - 4 off - 4 on for a few months. substrate was organic potting mix capped with pool filter sand. i left the tank to cycle and grow for a while.
filter was a aqua clear 70 as that was the only filter i had and i was on a budget
plants include: bacopa australis, ludwigia repens, anubias barteri, crypt wendtii, java fern, java moss, and dwarf sag

fast forward to the beginning of october and my impatience got the best of me and i wanted to see faster growth so i got a aquatek mini co2 regulator that attaches to a paintball tank and i changed my aqua clear for a fluval 206 so i could better control the flow and also not has as much surface agitation so i wouldn’t has off the co2. i also started dosing micros and macros from nilocg 2x/week macro and 2x/week micros + gH booster at every water change. my plants are growing pretty quickly and i’m seeing some reds showing in my ludwigia

Name:	IMG_2202.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	801626

Now the most recent picture of my tank. it has no fish as i can’t make up my mind on what i want to stock.
lighting: finnex 24/7 at 8 hours a day
filter: fluval 206
CO2: 1 bubble every 2 seconds. aquatek mini with 20oz paintball tank
ferts: macro/micro by nilocg 2x/week and gH booster
parameters: pH 7.2-7.6
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 40
WC: 50% once a week

since i started the tank i’ve been fighting with algae and able to remove a lot of the easier algae but i recently started to see some black beard algae and can’t seem to get rid of it. i’ve only tried scrubbing the leaves of my anubias and ludwigia and cutting off the affected leaves of my dwarf sag.
I’ve also been on the fence on what i want to do with this tank in the future. when i first setup the tank and choose my “dwarf” sag i thought it would be very short and more of a carpeting plant but that wasn’t the case. it grows to the water surface and i have to trim it back weekly. i might just use this as a grow out tank for my plants and setup a 75 gallon that i bought at a garage sale.

Name:	IMG_2370.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	801634

So that's about it so far. let me know what you think! is there anything I'm doing wrong? any advice would be very helpful as this is my first planted tank! thank you!

Last edited by nickquinteros; 11-06-2017 at 06:16 PM. Reason: forgot to add something

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode