180l low tech - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
180l low tech

Hi all,

My tank has been setup for about 4 months, hopefully some of you will find this of interest I certainly found others journals useful when I was planning this out!

This was about three weeks ago, I have added a few updates throughout:

Tank and equipment:
The tank is an aquaoak from maidenhead aquatics, I bought it second hand with a aquamanta EFX300 external filter which is about 1200l/h. I then bought a cheap 42w led light fixture off ebay which seems really good so far. I then bought a hydor external heater to keep the tank as clear of equipment as possible. I then made my own spray bar by drilling holes in a clear pipe.

Hardscape:
For the substrate I used wetlands aquatic soil with rocks in to create two mounds. I then put greenhouse mesh on this to keep it down and topped it with argos play sand. On this I have put a few rocks and bits of wood but I might change this a bit.

Plants:
1 Anabius nana
2 dwarf hairgrass
2 vallisneria
1 amazon sword
1 crypt
1 Staurogyne rubescens
10 dwarf swords
Lots of dwarf lettuce

Plants progress:
The anabius doesnít seem to want to attach to the wood and hasnít grown really at all. I have since sorted this with superglue.
The hairgrass is doing OK, a lot of it has died but it has sent out lots of shoots so seems to be spreading.
The vallisneria is spreading but when the leaves reach the water surface, where I want them to get to, they seem to melt then get replaced by new ones.
The amazon sword is doing great, it just keeps growing.
The crypt is growing nicely.
The Staurogyne rubescens hasnít really grown and get eaten by snails a lot.
The dwarf swords are growing and spreading well.
The dwarf lettuce is just about surviving but only behind the spraybar, I am hoping that once some of the other plants reach the surface it will get going more.

Fish:
12 pentazona barbs
9 harlequins, which I canít seem to keep alive! Have been fine since.
6 leopard danios
3 dwarf gouramis
3 cories, again having trouble with these I started with a much larger group. Could have been them disturbing gases in the sand? I have added 5 more and they are doing great.
1 albino plec who clears the whole tank of algae each night
2 rabbit snails which were creating lots of plant distruction but since feeding them carrot this has stopped
Lots of ramshorn, mts and one pond snail who lives on the spraybar.

Schedule:
I ei dose 20ml of macro and micro just once a week, I guess this is OK as everything seems to be doing well
I do a 25% water change once a week, it was originally twice a week but not sure which is better?

Future plans: (advice and opinions very welcome as I donít really know what I am doing!)
Plants: I want something that will grow on the wood, maybe a moss? I have had java moss before but never really got on with it, found it too messy.
Fish: add more cories, try a different shoalling fish to harlequins that might be a bit hardier, maybe add some kuhli loaches. I have 10 killifish fry so will hopefully add them at some point. I have now done 1 and 2.
Shrimp: I really want a group of shrimp but may need to add some more hiding places to give them a chance to get going.

I think thatís everything, any comments or advice very welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	801354  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode