• 2 Post By Coyne
  • 4 Post By Coyne

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Coyne's 45gallon

Hello...
4-5 months ago I bombarded various sections of this forum with questions as I was slowly setting up a new tank. Its been up for a couple months now (not counting the first month when the cycle was stalled) and I'd thought Id submit some photos of the process and final result. Im open to any comments and critiques, but keep in mind Im unlikely to change much at this stage.

The tank itself is 45 gallons and its dimensions are 38"L x 12"W x 24"H. Im using two Colbalt EXT canister filters for filtration. CO2 injected and am currently dosing PPS Pro 2-3 days a week. I was getting excessive algae when I was dosing daily. Controsoil substrate.

The first is a photo of just the hardscape. I made a few changes with some of the rock work after taking this photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	one.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	801098  

mbkemp and mbkemp like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

These next photos are just after planting and again a couple weeks after.

The front-left is a carpet of Hydrocotyle tripartita "Japan"
The front-corner is a small section of Staurogyne repens
Just right of the center is a section of Altermanthera reineckii, "mini" towards the front with some "purple" behind it.
Along the back are some Vallisneria asiatica and Sagittaria playphylla with a couple varieties of Swords behind the large piece of driftwood on the left (melon & ocelot)
Some broad leaf Aunbias attached to the larger driftwood and some Christmas Moss "mini" attached to both pieces of driftwood.
Finally, you cant see it now, but there is a Red Tiger Lotus bulb behind the smaller driftwood on the left.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	two.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	801106  

Name:	three.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	801114  

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here is a photo from a couple weeks ago after I finally added some fish.
30 Ember Tetras
10 Pygmy Cory
10 Otos
and, as of yesterday, 13 Green Jade Neocardinia that I picked up at the Aquatic Experience Expo in Schaumburg, IL

I ended up removing one of the Ocelot Swords. It was just a bit too crowded behind that driftwood.
Also, I had hoped that the reineckii "purple" would grow taller than the reineckii "mini". You cant really see it back there, but overall Im pleased with how it looks.
The Vallisneria melted back quite a bit and didnt really start to grow back until very recently. Hopefully that will grow up to cover the back part of the tank.
I also ended up removing the moss when it became overgrown with a hair algae. Imagine my surprise when a couple small pieces survived and reattached themselves. Theres the piece on the Anubias roots and another on the smaller driftwood on the left (doesnt show up well in the photo).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	45Gal.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	801130  

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 01:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Very nice looking tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode