The 40 gallon tank "Triple Low" - The Planted Tank Forum
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
The 40 gallon tank "Triple Low"

So I've been working on this one for a while getting it set up. It's still in the process, but I wanted to start a thread here to show it off and to expose my flaws for the world to see.

So to start with, I had an old old 55 gallon tank that hadn't held water in 10 years sitting in a shed. Decided I could use the stand, the sump filter, and some of the hardware at least even if the tank was scratched up beyond saving and the caulk was all shot. So I started sorting through what I had and what was still usable.

And low and behold, just in time for my birthday there was the petschmo aquarium sale.

...and a 40 gallon breeder tank just so happened to fit on the old stand.

Next I got to learn how to drill holes in glass.

And dog help is always the best help.

(I did have to spring for a bigger pump, the 500 gph one that was with the old tank just didn't seem to be doing the job anymore)

I then proceeded to spend the majority of October up in the mountains for work, which made for slow progress but at least I was able to look for some cool rocks while I was there.

And then, between my other tanks and a very kind RAOK I was able to find quite a bit of Anubias

Oh, and then a bit more

Not to mention some other plants that I ordered, like some Bucephalandra, some bigger Anubias, and a bit of Java Fern

Then for kicks and giggles I threw together a couple of planters on top to try some houseplants

(not sure if the sensitive plant will work this way or not, but someone on the internet said it would, but I'm fairly confident the arrowhead plant and pothos are good to go, anyway)

So that's what's happened so far. After it gets settled in a little bit more, I'd like to see if it could just be a massive RCS colony--right now there's only pond snails and red ramshorn snails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 08:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nice start! Your dogs look like great help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StrungOut and StrungOut like this.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbkemp View Post
Nice start! Your dogs look like great help!

HA! It's very enthusiastic help, if nothing else!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TacitBlues; 11-03-2017 at 04:27 PM. Reason: ? =/= '

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here's a pic from this morning:

And just for kicks and giggles here's the whole wall, complete with the 45 gallon and some houseplants:

And I decided that I wanted more flow still, so I picked up some 3/4" tubing to replace the 1/2" and got a cinderblock to raise the sump up another 8" (to reduce the headloss). We'll see how much those things affect it.
mbkemp and mbkemp like this.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 12:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
That looks great. Have you decided on fauna yet?

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 12:29 AM
Planted Member

If you can afford a few more plants, I would recommend a iwagumi nature aquarium, with a carpeting plant in the middle front. You could get a shoal of 20 cardinal/ember/neon/rummynose tetras and about 10 RCS. For iwagumis the go-to fish is usually a shoal of one specie. (the RCS will breed if conditions are good and form a huge colony. the tetras will leave them alone, but will eat dead shrimp.)
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
That looks great. Have you decided on fauna yet?
My plan is to just have a massive cherry shrimp colony, and then maybe eventually some endlers.

post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bungulo View Post
If you can afford a few more plants, I would recommend a iwagumi nature aquarium, with a carpeting plant in the middle front. You could get a shoal of 20 cardinal/ember/neon/rummynose tetras and about 10 RCS. For iwagumis the go-to fish is usually a shoal of one specie. (the RCS will breed if conditions are good and form a huge colony. the tetras will leave them alone, but will eat dead shrimp.)
I was thinking about it, but I kinda actually really like the bare black sand for now.

post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 05:43 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think it looks very good as is. I think Cardinals would look out of place, but embers or Harlequin rasporas would look great with the rcs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 03:41 PM
Planted Member

wait, did you say you found the rocks in the mountain? did you get them tested? they could have contaminants and mess with your PH. boil them for a few hours, and if you did, test them for anything.
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 03:56 PM
Planted Member

Looks great, I like the dark substrate and dark rocks.

Live to plant!
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 06:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think Endlers and shrimp would be s great mix. A 40 will hold a ton of Endlers. Which color form are you looking at?

post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bungulo View Post
wait, did you say you found the rocks in the mountain? did you get them tested? they could have contaminants and mess with your PH. boil them for a few hours, and if you did, test them for anything.
They?re lava rocks, pretty much inert. No change in pH as of yet, anyway The mountains I?m referring to are literally the very top of the drainage basin, there is no agriculture there, but yes, I did soak them in bleach water for a couple days, and then rinsed and rinsed and scrubbed and soaked in heavily primed water.
Phil Edwards and Phil Edwards like this.

post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbkemp View Post
I think Endlers and shrimp would be s great mix. A 40 will hold a ton of Endlers. Which color form are you looking at?

I?m not sure yet, but that?s probably a year away

post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, I increased the return line diameter to 3/4" and raised up the sump by 8" so the flow has increased by quite a bit, which I'm happy about. Stuff was settling in the corners. Still getting nitrite readings, so I stole some more filter media from the other tank. The anubias all look pretty happy anyway, got lots of new leaves coming in, and the snail pioneers are definitely increasing in number

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode