33 Long Crypts and Corydoras - The Planted Tank Forum
 107Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
33 Long Crypts and Corydoras

My 40 Breeder was supposed to be a Corydoras tank but I decided to go plant heavy instead so plans have changed. Was kind of looking forward to having a Cory tank though so I got a 20 long out of the garage and decided to set it up.

I am going to run Co2 on the tank (need to pick up a new canister tomorrow) but it will be low light plants. Anubias and Cryptocorynes.
  • 20 gallon long (30x12x12) (changed in December 2017 to a 33 long (48 x 13 x 12)
  • IKEA Expedit Bookshelf Stand
  • Current USA 24" Satellite LED+ with Ramp Timer x 2
  • Classic Eheim 2213 Canister Filter x 2
  • About 25 pounds caribSea Super Naturals Sunset Gold Sand (70 lbs for 33 gallon)
  • ISTA 150w 1/2" External Inline Heater
  • ADA Hornwood
  • Ohko Stone (switched to petrified wood)

I forget what brand my spare Co2 regulator is. Will have to double check when I set it up tomorrow.

Plants -

Cryptocoryne spirals
Cryptocoryne hudoroi
Cryptocoryne crispatula var. tonkinensis
Crytocoryne usteriana 'Red'
Cryptocoryne 'Flamingo'
Anubias nana 'Petite'
Anubias barteri var. nana 'Golden'

Inhabitants for now are 5 Corydoras eques that I had in my quarantine tank.

Planted 20 Gallon Aquarium by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

Last edited by Triport; 12-06-2017 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Changed from 20 to 33 long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 02:51 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Very nice. Like your scape. Your Cory’s should love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 03:53 PM
Planted Member

What types of Cory cats are you going to keep?

Lo, they do call to me.
They bid me take my place among them
In the halls of Valhalla
Where the brave may live forever.

post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 05:12 PM
Planted Member

Very nice set up and I like how you label your photos...cool.

Have you grown C. Spiralis before? I love that plant and prefer the look of that instead of using something like a Val.

I've subscribed and looking forward to seeing things grow in.
post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 06:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
That looks great. How long ago did you place the plants in there? It seems to take a couple days for plants to orient themselves and group appropriately for me when I move them around. It certainly never looks like this!

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
That looks great. How long ago did you place the plants in there? It seems to take a couple days for plants to orient themselves and group appropriately for me when I move them around. It certainly never looks like this!
Set it up on the 28th and moved the fish in. Added two of the plants (C. hudoroi and C. usteriana) right before I took the photo.

I already have C. eques in the tank (they are hiding in the back right corner. You can see their reflection). but I know the Wet Spot has some cw028 Super Schwartzi that I want for sure and maybe a few Scleromystax barbatus. Maybe some green lasers. Not 100% sure. I may just be patient and see when unusual ones come up for sale. It will probably be rarer ones though for the most part.

I have C. retrospiralis in my 36 g but it is slow growing. Tried both C. retrospiralis and C. spiralis in a low tech tank and didn't have much luck with them so I wanted to try both again with Co2. I have found that even though you can grow Crypts in low tech they grow much faster and stockier with Co2 and some ferts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ugh. What a frustrating day. Spare Co2 regulator is an Archaea and you have to adjust the pressure with a tiny little hex key. One came with it but in the few years since I used the thing I seem to have lost it. I tore apart every cabinet and toolbox and drawer in my house and found every hex key from every piece of furniture that I have ever purchased but not that one. Have a set of small hex keys that came with a PC tool kit but the one I need is the size between the smallest and next size up. Went to the hardware store and bought new hex key kits and did manage to get the right size but I still can't get the working psi right. It is at over 100 psi and won't go any lower. While fiddling with it the entire thing fell apart.

Got fed up and ordered a new regulator from GLA.

:sigh

So absurd because really I don't even need Co2 for this tank but the plants will grow so much better with it.
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Shipment of fish came in today so added the new ones to this tank.

5 x Corydoras cf. semiaquilas
5 x Corydoras weitzmani
3 x Hypoptopoma sp.Peru (orange Otocinclus)
10 X Hyphessobrycon amandae

Sadly 5 x Corydoras CW028 'Super Schwartzi' were DOA so I got a credit for them. Kind of a bummer because they were the main fish I wanted and everything else was justs addons.

New Co2 regulator has not arrived yet. Cryptocoryne hudoroi in the center is melting pretty bad. Hopefully it will bounce back once I start injecting Co2. Everything else looks OK so far. New Corydoras are very active.

New fish for 20gallon long by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

Corydoras cf. semiaquilas

Corydoras cf. semiaquilis by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

Corydoras weitzmani

Corydoras weitzmani by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

Hypoptopoma sp. Peru (orange Otocinclus). Kind of worried these will be as sensitive as regular Otos as they cost more than 6 x as much as a regular Oto. But they are pretty cool so I had to give them a shot.

Hypoptopoma sp. Peru (orange Otocinclus) by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr
finfan, finfan, The Dude1 and 6 others like this.

post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 12:59 PM
Algae Grower

Congrats on your new cories & sorry about the DOA's. I'm also expecting a shipment of cories today; I hope they're all ok especially since in the end she was only able to ship me 4 individuals of each of the 2 species.

In your FTS in the front right, are those your C. eques? I really like how they look and I almost ordered them, but didn't. Too late now I guess as there are only so many days I can take off from work just to receive fish.

I've never heard of orange oto's before, they're really cute. Good luck with your new fish!
Triport and Triport like this.

Last edited by beckyhiker; 11-09-2017 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Added last paragraph
post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The C. eques are on the right but toward the back of the tank. Similar in coloration to bronze corys but they should eventually be darker with a distinct reddish brown band at the back of their head and down their back. They are currently the most expensive fish I own so I hope mine darken up and reach their full potential. I don't have any good shots of them because they kept moving around but I will try to post some soon.

So right now just 3 types of Cory in this tank. I really wanted at least 4. I have to decide if I want to use my credit to try and get Super Schwartzi again or if I should hold off for now in case anything was wrong with them and wait for a new shipment or something different.

post #11 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 09:19 PM
Planted Member

Absolutely love the semiaquilis! Beautiful tank, my condolences on the DOA's. That sucks. I'll keep posted to see what other gens you find.

Lo, they do call to me.
They bid me take my place among them
In the halls of Valhalla
Where the brave may live forever.
post #12 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 02:11 AM
Algae Grower

Are Super Schwartzi different from regular C. schwartzi? One of the 2 types of cories the LFS by work has is C. schwartzi; they have a large group in the tank next to the C. melanistius of which I already have 8. I had thought of buying some of them, but ended up ordering cories instead.
post #13 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

They have a similar striped pattern but the first ray of their dorsal fin is yellow and their dorsal gets really extended and flag like. I love big sail like dorsal fins on Corydoras. The C. loretoensis and C. concolor I bought for my 40g both have that too.

Bump:

Bump: Since my new Co2 regulator won't arrive until the end of this week I set up the Archaea regulator even though I can't get the PSI lower than 55.

Really love this tank and am still debating getting a 55 in place of this 20 long so I can get more Corys. Since the C. Super Schwartzi were DOA considering putting my Scleromystax barbatus from my quarantine tank into this tank. In the meantime here is a video of the existing fish.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC8cor1Tvt8
beckyhiker and beckyhiker like this.

Last edited by Triport; 11-15-2017 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Video Thumbnail issues
post #14 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Did a 5 gallon water change today. Went to Petco and came very close to buying a 55g on their half price sale but I decided to check first how much it would be to get all the rest of the equipment I would need to upgrade. The sale is until Nov. 18 so I have a few more days to decide.

post #15 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 04:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Gosh I love your corys.

20 Gallon jungle tank

RAOK CLUB #0

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode