KIDD's 10 Gallon Betta tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
KIDD's 10 Gallon Betta tank

It's really my 9yr olds tank but I do everything lol...

This tank we got for Free from a nice elderly lady that my daughter was working for watering her plants why she was in the Hospital. She gave my daughter the tank as a gift for helping her out. sadly due to complications she passed away.

When we got the tank it had green algea all over the glass and substrate. It had some fake plants that were also covered. It was full of fancy Guppies mostly males with 2 female's poor girls were never left alone and we would get babies all the time.. I have given away all the Guppies and got 3 Betta females and a Male, 1 female and the Male did not make it.

It now houses 2 Female Betta's, 2 african Dwarf Frogs, 3 otto's and 1 albino Cory Cat, and 3 ghost shrimp

The plants are from petsmart and not sure what the big leaf one is but the other is Moneywort

Here is a few Pics of it..

The back female is the one that died.

It started with a Free Tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 04:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Gotta watch those female bettas. They normally do best in larger tanks with more females and lots of places to hide. They establish a pecking order, having a larger tank and more girls helps to balance out aggression. That way who ever is the leader doesn't pick on the other one till they die. That may happen with yours, depends on their personalities. Were you going to put a male in with the three females? That is a big no no, don't do that. Not even sure 2 females will work. Tank looks great besides that.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The 2 Females that are left in there now get along good. They don't mess with each other.. So they will be all that is in the tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 04:57 AM
Algae Grower

Your layout gives it a nice cozy feel. I'm always tempted by that dragon ornament when I go to Petsmart... I don't care if it's not natural, who can resist a dragon?!

The large solid colored plant is an amazon sword, excellent for beginners/low tech tanks. I couldn't kill the things if I tried. The stripey plant in the left corner is actually a terrestrial plant. I forget the name of it... But I've got one at home in a pot. It won't do too well underwater for too long. I hate that petsmart and petco sell non-aquatic plants for fish tanks.

Definitely stick with only female bettas. If you have any aggression between the two that you have now, you can try adding more females. I've heard that 6+ girls levels out any aggression. I've wanted to do a betta sorority for awhile, and I gave it a half-hearted attempt earlier this year. But I only had two females and they ended up getting ich. Yuck.

56G - Mixed Mbuna
29G - Blue Gouramis

10G - Empty!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks I have a garage full of Dragons. I love them so when I saw the Dragon at Petsmart well it was a must.. My Daughter saw it first and yelled daddy don't come over here or your going to buy something...

So yea I think Betta's and Dragons just go well together... Yea the plant in the corner is going to die, but it came with the Driftwood for 6 bucks so it was more for the wood lol... My Daughter wanted the Betta's I wanted the Frogs lol...

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 09:14 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieR View Post
Your layout gives it a nice cozy feel. I'm always tempted by that dragon ornament when I go to Petsmart... I don't care if it's not natural, who can resist a dragon?!

The large solid colored plant is an amazon sword, excellent for beginners/low tech tanks. I couldn't kill the things if I tried. The stripey plant in the left corner is actually a terrestrial plant. I forget the name of it... But I've got one at home in a pot. It won't do too well underwater for too long. I hate that petsmart and petco sell non-aquatic plants for fish tanks.

Definitely stick with only female bettas. If you have any aggression between the two that you have now, you can try adding more females. I've heard that 6+ girls levels out any aggression. I've wanted to do a betta sorority for awhile, and I gave it a half-hearted attempt earlier this year. But I only had two females and they ended up getting ich. Yuck.
It's a dracaenea species and it's definitely NOT aquatic...darn you petsmart/petco!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode