• 4 Post By voyetra8
  • 2 Post By hivemindhermit
  • 2 Post By voyetra8

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
60P Iwagumi - Day 1 / tank journal

Inadvertently posted this to wrong section of site, so moving it here!

Hey guys,

Back into the hobby after a small hiatus. Just moved to Pacific NorthWest and set up a new 60P.

___

Hardware:
60P (knockoff made in same factory as ADA tanks).
Amazonia II
Hydor 250
Hydor inline heater
VIV lily pipes (Do! Aqua knockoffs made in same factory, lol?)
Airgas homebuilt regulator
Inline atomic atomizer

Flora:
HC for now, might add some Blyxa behind stone.

Stocking:
Planning on adding 15-20 microdevario kubotai...

___

MOST RECENT TANK PIC:

Just flooded the tank after a 1 month dry-start. I had a *ton* of HC that I had been growing emersed, so I covered the entire tank with it. The dark patches are where plants lifted when I got impatient and tried to fill it 2 weeks ago. I've been building scapes using this same stone for about 5 years now. I'l probably continue working with it.

Trying to keep the aesthetic as clean as possible. The stand is a Besta.

The stone has a channel down through the middle... I filled it with Aquasoil and added some flowing HC. I bought this stone specifically to do this with UG, but after continual issues growing it, I decided to fall back to HC for now. The rock on the right is Seiryu, but it doesn't match the main stone. (It looks closer in person.) I'm still waiting to find the proper replacement... it seems Seiryu is increasingly hard to find.

Built the regulator myself with parts from Ebay and DIYco2regulator.... Tanks is "safetied" with the velcro band wrapped around it. Currently blasting the CO2 to help with transition to immersed. Going to hold off on adding fish until tank is established and stable.

HC has been pearling like mad and seem happy. I've got lights running for 5 hours, with CO2 coming on 2 hours before, and shutting off an hour before end of cycle. Hopefully the remaining gaps will fill in soon.

Last edited by voyetra8; 11-17-2017 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Updated pic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Week 2 update...

Week 2 update...

- Added 15 green neons and 5 amano shrimp
- Swapped the seiryu on right with a piece that better matches the main stone
- Stuffed a small piece of Fissidens Fontanus into a fissure on the main stone
- Gave a hard trim last weekend... going to do another trim in a few days

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 02:48 PM
Algae Grower

Nice Paracheirodon Simulans!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 03:41 PM
Algae Grower

Pretty scape! I'm curious - how are the tetras doing? Are they comfortable without cover?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
voyetra8 and voyetra8 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- ~30G low everything, open top, dirted community aquascape ... thingy
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 06:48 PM
Algae Grower

beautiful tank.

how are you dealing with water changes once the tank is established?
treating water before filling or using RO water?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
So who makes the tank? Or the brand of the tank you are using? Do they make knock off ADA substrate too?...lol...I'm waiting on my new tank to arrive and want to use ADA substrate but I can't get it locally and hate to pay as much for shipping as the substrate costs. And I'm not crazy about the idea of having to replace the substrate over time...so I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemindhermit View Post
Pretty scape! I'm curious - how are the tetras doing? Are they comfortable without cover?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Honestly, they seem way more comfortable than ANY neons or galaxy rasboras I've kept in moderately planted tanks in the past.

When I had a tank with moderate cover, they always seemed to be stressed and trying to hide, and get very darty and skittish. To the point that I stopped keeping them, because it didn't seem fair to them.

With *this* tank because the hardscape pushes them to the edges, they school up when there is movement in the room, but seem to be more relaxed when there isn't... if that makes sense. I think because there are 15 of them, it also gives them a feeing of security.

It's almost as if because there is *no* cover, they just school up if nervous - but somehow I can approach the tank and they will start getting excited for food and get really playful.

They've colored up beautifully, so if they are stressed, they don't seem to show it. It also might help that my water is 6.8 and soft as a baby's behind.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by changaroo View Post
beautiful tank.

how are you dealing with water changes once the tank is established?
treating water before filling or using RO water?

I do water 50% changes every Saturday. I'm just using dechlorinated tap water - which is, for the first time in my life, PERFECT. I live in the PNW, so the water here is soft and slightly acidic.

Coming from LA where the water was essentially liquid rock with astronomical TDS, this feels like heaven. I want to try a proper dutch tank now. (Rotala macranda, I'm looking at you.)

In LA I fought diatoms for a month straight... here? Not even a hint of diatoms so far. Fingers crossed!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 10:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
I love it, looks so nice. I love the stones too!

20 Gallon jungle tank

RAOK CLUB #0
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
So who makes the tank? Or the brand of the tank you are using? Do they make knock off ADA substrate too?...lol...I'm waiting on my new tank to arrive and want to use ADA substrate but I can't get it locally and hate to pay as much for shipping as the substrate costs. And I'm not crazy about the idea of having to replace the substrate over time...so I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to use.
The tank is made by YiDing: ???????? Aquarium manufacture YiDing ?? ????

I will say that If you are on a budget, I think rather than investing in an aquasoil, you should put your money into a good CO2 system.

I was given the same advice when I first started, but thought I could outsmart conventional wisdom... so I started with DIY (sucked). Then went to paintball with a needle valve (sucked.) Then went to paintball with a semi-decent regulator (better.) Now I have a dual stage with solenoid on a wi-fi smart switch, and it's like night and day...

I'm now convinced that the biggest hurdle/issue for most people in the hobby is CO2.

With proper CO2 and ferts, I think the soil becomes less important, overall.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 10:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Beautiful!
Have you thought about the tall hairgrass or cyperus helfiri for a background plant?
I used to really dislike that in iwagumi but lately it's grown on me so much it would look amazing in this tank!

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlorophile View Post
Beautiful!
Have you thought about the tall hairgrass or cyperus helfiri for a background plant?
I used to really dislike that in iwagumi but lately it's grown on me so much it would look amazing in this tank!
Thanks, it actually looks *much* better today, amazing what a few weeks of EI and trims will do!:

The fish are all on the right side, picking at some black worms I had just tossed in.

Thanks for the suggestions on additional plants - I have been feeling it needs something else... and I had been considering dwarf Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides, and Downoi.

(I actually already purchased both of these emersed, and am converting them in my 45P.)

I was thinking of using them sparsely. Like 3 Downois plants around the edge of the stones, and then a small patch of Hydrocotyle. But I'm worried that the Hydrocotyle will go bananas and I'll never be able to get rid of it.

I've also been thinking about pairing sparse AR mini with the downoi.

Any thoughts?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode