1.5 Gallon *Killie Fry Maker* - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
1.5 Gallon *Killie Fry Maker*

Alright so after setting up my 10 Gallon HERE I decided to pull the killies out and put them into a 1.5 Gallon tank I had laying around. I know some of you may be worried about the size of the tank but rest assured they will be moving into a 5 gallon (divided 10) very shortly. Hopefully in a couple weeks actually.

Here are some pics from when they were in the 10 gallon

Here's the female

Here is their new setup (for now)

Sorry for the flash, but I kept it because you can see the male trying really hard to get her to drop.

Here is a good one with no flash

The mating dance...

After I took the previous picture they disappeared into this cave... hmmm...

Let me know what you think! There is some anacharis in the cave area to hopefully inspire a drop.

Right now the equipment is a tetra filter for <5 gallons, a fluorescent desk lamp (just for the anacharis, or I would use the built in LEDs), and that's it. I put the heater from my nearby 10 in there every once and a while, but the water pretty well maintains a solid temp and the flow from the filter gives me plenty of oxygen.

Also, if someone could, I accidentally threw away the label and was hoping for an ID on the killies. A specific one. I know they are Gardneri but I am not sure about what else. I would like to find a lot more info about their breeding habits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 08:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Those are Fundulopanchax gardneri "aquarium strain". They are bottom spawners. You can read about their breeding habits and other information on the American Killifish Association website.

I breed killies in addition to maintaining planted tanks. For best success I suggest putting a clump of java moss in the tank. This will give the fish somewhere to spawn and also provide cover for the female. Feed them well with frozen bloodworms and you should get 10 or so eggs per day from the pair. The best information, however, can be read from the AKA website. Best of luck with the gardneri.

Eheim Pimp #181

29g High-tech jungle
5.5g Low-tech jungle
2.5g x 2 Low-tech shrimp and moss

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks! As for right now, I can't get a hold on any java moss so I put in a small chunk of java fern from my 10 gallon. The female is definitely taking the opportunity to hide from him.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Okay so I have a question, hopefully someone can help me out

I am planning the upgrade to the divided ten gallon soon. Do you guys think that two of THESE filters would be overkill? I like the idea of a compact filter. I was planning sponge filters for the fry but looking at this, it doesn't appear to be much of a threat. This is how the tank would be set up if I went this route:

I might also like THIS one. And if I went this route:

If I went with sponges it would look similar to the first diagram, minus the spray bars obviously. There would be one in each of the back opposing corners and the heater next to the divider.

Let me know which you think is best!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 11:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
would you ever sell the killifish? i cant get them anywhere so just thought i would ask...
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The fry? Or my main pair? I will definitely be selling pairs once I start the breeding process. It may be pricey but check out live aquaria, they have some. Or wait a few months until I have some nice specimens and I'll be happy to do business.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Another question, about how much of the Miracle Gro Organic soil would I need for this project? you think two 8 qt bags of THIS would be enough? (one for each side)

I plan to top with a black pool sand of some sort.

Let me know if that soil isn't the right kind as well, thanks.

P.S. I plan to go rimless on this 10G, just thought it would interest you all
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

anyway I can the title on this thread changed to " *UPGRADED* 10G "Killie Fry Maker" " please =]

also, I am picking up the 10 today and hopefully the miracle gro tomorrow if someone ever answers lol
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quick update: I went to an auction earlier this evening and picked up another pair of killies. This time they are mouth spawning, thought it might be an interesting addition to my split 10 gallon.

I do have a quick question, is there any harm in keeping the two together? Being of two different spawning types, would keeping them undivided cause hybridisation or no? I wouldn't mind leaving the entire tank open if I could and letting them live together. The only downside would be that the mop spawning killies may not spawn on the mop (could pick a plant intead), thus losing the eggs. If I keep them seperate the mop spawning killies won't have plants, where the mouth spawning killies will have a fully decorated half.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 05:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i can wait ha. just let me know when!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregpxc View Post
The fry? Or my main pair? I will definitely be selling pairs once I start the breeding process. It may be pricey but check out live aquaria, they have some. Or wait a few months until I have some nice specimens and I'll be happy to do business.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Lol will do and make sure you keep checking in! I will probably have some of the mouth spawning ones first as they require less fuss. Would you be interested them or mop spawners?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 06:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

either as long as there colorful and breed.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Haha alright, the ones I just got are pretty, although my immediate experience with killis is they get flushed when stressed so hopefully he gets even prettier, the female actually started putting out some color after they got acclimated. Very neat.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Is there a secret to changing my thread title? I want to change it to a 10 gallon instead of 1.5 since I am starting the build soon. I bought the divider yesterday as well as miracle gro organic and blasting sand. I already cleaned a 5 gallon bucket full of sand so I will probably start the hardscaping soon. My breeding method will be long term for both. When I see fry I will pull them and put them in either the 1.5 or a 5 gallon I have depending on which pair they come from.

I am trying to get some small piece of driftwood for both sides and one medium piece for a 20 gallon I have. If someone has any I would like to buy some. I am trying to get a quote on the manzanati (sp?) wood but I am not getting a response =/
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Alright so here's what I have for you today. I did a mini rescape in the 1.5 to make their cave bigger and more appealing (pics below) and I started their divided 10 gallon (pics also below). So here they are:

Pics of the newly scaped & very temporary 1.5

P.S. can you tell the difference in the tank itself? I think it's a nice change... (It's rimless and baseless now)

The inhabitants (Male only, female is a little skittish still)

And here is the pair for the other half of the divided ten (currently in my guppy 10)

Male:

Female:

The divided ten as it sits:

I will complete the left half first and put in the pair that is in the 10 gallon guppy tank, then I will do the other half. Let me know what you think. I plan on doing low tech on the killie divided tank so hopefully mosses and some low level ground cover on both sides. I plan to scape the halves differently though, mainly just for my pleasure.

On the new killie tank I have:

Standard 10 Gallon hood with fluorescent bulb (anyway to get a little more light out of this without a ton of work?)
Black Beauty Blasting Sand w/ Miracle Gro Organic Potting Soil bottom layer.
Sponge Filter (I ordered two smaller ones rather than running one big one)
Divider

Need:

Heater
Plants (would DHG grow in this setup?)
Another piece of similarly sized driftwood

Any suggestions, comments, questions are welcome.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode