I gave away my Tiger Barbs and replaced them with some Cardinals and CRS. Days went slowly by, and everything seemed fine.
11/20-11/21 Saturday to Sunday morning
I flip on the tank light, feed the fish and leave for work. It was just like any other day... or so I thought. I came home and found a puddle of water on the floor. It was leaking from the bottom of the tank due to a bad silicone job (Walmart tank). The tank's water level at that time was at 75%. I got some towels to soak up the water and was planning in my head what my next step should be. I did not have a backup tank to fall back on. Those Cardinals/CRS were expensive and I was not about to let them die.
I left the towels around my tank (the leak was very slow) and decided to drive to Petco to see if they still had the 1 dollar per gallon deal, but it had already ended. It was during that time that I was thinking maybe this would be a good excuse to get a rimless ADA tank, but the problem was I needed it right away. ADG has a store/warehouse in Houston but I didn't know if they were open to public yet or if it was even open at the time. So instead of wasting anymore time I decided to go to Petsmart since their tanks are cheaper than Petco. I decided to go with a 20 gallon long since it would make no sense to get another 10. I also decided since I was there that I might as well get some planting substrate while I was at it and to make sure my new tank does not leak I bought some aquarium silicone. I knew I needed more light so I bought another light fixture (same as my old one) and a shelf to clip them both to.
I hurried on home and found that the tank's water is now at about 30-40%. I was getting a bit worried now, but I kept my calm as I set everything up for the transfer. I siliconed the bottom (outside not inside) of the tank for extra security. I carefully laid out the substrate and smoothed it out with a card. I filled it up slowly to about half way and dropped some prime in. Then I proceeded to gently put all of my plants in a bucket that I had prefilled with water. After that I started to transfer the Cardinals/CRS to the new tank. When that was done I got a cup to transfer some of the old water into the new tank. Finally I hooked up the filter to the new tank and finished filling up the tank. I let the tank settle for a bit, the Cards/CRS survived the whole stressful ordeal.
I replanted the tank but decided to change things up a bit. I left out the Wisteria because I didn't like the bushy look it gave and I didn't want them to block off any light to my ground cover. I centralized the driftwood/rock HC and put some Creeping Charlies behind it. Since I now have planting substrate I decided to break up the Glosso runners so that I can start a carpet. After that I setup the rest of the equipment and cleaned everything up. Total of 10 hours of nonstop work (4pm-2am).
I dropped in some Clarity to let it clear up. After 2 hours it was crystal clear and I stepped back to admire the work. I could not stop smiling. I stared at the tank until 6am, then went to bed.
(I don't have any photos of the disaster, but now that I think about it I wish I did)
I have some more CRS coming in early this week so I will have a new video of the 20G when they settle in.
I will do updates for the Glosso carpet as it starts to grow in. Once it becomes thick, I may think about a new rescape design.
For now I will enjoy this 10 gallon till the end, and learn all I can.
Looks like it ended a lot sooner than expected.
Life gave me lemons, so I made lemonade.
-Eheim Ecco Pro 130 (2232)
-WaterPlant CO2 System
-WaterPlant CO2 Indicator
-(2x) CFL T3 6500K 26w
-CaribSea FloraMax Midnight
-Pfertz Liquid Macro & Micro
-Micromeria brownei (Creeping Charlie)
-Hemianthus callitrichoides (Dwarf Baby Tears)
-Glossostigma elatinoides (Glosso)
-Paracheirodon axelrodi (Cardinal Tetra)
-Caridina cantonensis sp. Crystal Red (Crystal Red Shrimp)