First "Big" Tank-Second planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
First "Big" Tank-Second planted tank

Hi everybody, this forum is always coming up when I do searches for info on both plants and fish. Figured I'd join up and see if I could get some advice for my first "Big" tank.

Up to now the largest I've had is a 29 gallon.

Scored an amazing deal on an Aqueon 65 gallon and stand from the local big box shop. Some other customer had to have the bundled light for some reason or other and the store had to get rid of the "incomplete" display.

Worked out for me because I was already making plans for a 46 bowfront I was got from an old roommate but needed a stand for(~36" across for each). I already had a Finnex planted 24/7+ that i was going to use. (~36" across for each)

I really want to go with a peacock eel(probably a pair?). I had one early on in my aquarium experiences but a fungal bloom put an end to that. Right now I'm still working through my options on the rest of the fish.

For the Eel I was thinking either a sand or a small grain/pebble sized gravel. But I wanted to try to put at least a couple of plants in.

I know that the Eels have a habit of digging things up but I had a few Ideas I wanted to try out.

-I saw that there are "Rhyzo Mats" available to give roots something to better attach to. Would putting this under the sand/gravel in the planted areas dissuade the Eels? I would also put some root tabs under this as well.

-I have heard of some people not having as big an issue with them digging up plants, if so I was wondering if I could mix some dirt/fertilizer/aquasoil in with the sand/gravel to add nutrients instead?(I'm planning on a darker substrate so dirt would blend in well visually atleast

-a pot for each plant filled with a nutrient filled substrate and then partially covered for appearances.

Plants in question are mainly some jungle Val I got a hold of, an Aponogeton, and an Amazon Sword in the 20 I already have going. If these wont work in the 65, there's a few spots I could see them working in the 20.

Figured I'd see what I can get sorted out for the plants and I could work out the stocking situation while it cycles.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode