ADA 45p - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By FJK_12

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
ADA 45p

Setting up a new ADA 45P. Had some success with a Mini S recently and decided it was time to go bigger and better..and high tech.

Details of equipment to come, for nowI have some rough hardscape's I've been working with that I can't decide between.

Firstly, a more traditional triangular layout using Seiryu stones and Redmoor root wood
Click image for larger version

Name:	File_000.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	798962

And secondly a more unusual layout with the use of negative space - thinking of covering the bridge of wood that connects both sides with some weeping moss, and below that having a sand path extending through to the front of the tank. I will put some seiryu stones in at the bases of the wood tool.
Click image for larger version

Name:	File_000-3.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	798978Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 18.30.29.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	799002

Any feedback on what layout I should work with is much appreciated - I am torn between both. On the one hand the 2nd scape is more ambitious and challenging, however the first would be much easier to execute, and easier on the eye... but I find it a bit boring in comparison..
Let me know what you think!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 06:09 PM
Algae Grower

Dear FJK_12,

I personally would go with the second one. The second one uses complex perspective lines while the first one fits in a very basic category. But you could start with the first one and save the second for a future rescape of this tank. The first one would be better and easier in terms of flow and plant health.

I think the second one would look lovely with a concave trimmed, asian stem planted background.

And for the first one, I think you can use the triangularity of the layout both in section and in plan views to make a basic geometrical layout turn in to a more complex one. Meaning in section, you can have a convex-like triangular trimmed, stem plants on the background starting tall from the right hand side, shorter on the left hand. And in plan, you can cover the frontal right hand side of the layout with medium height plants such as Staurogyne Repens, Pogostemon Helferi, Alternanthera Reineckii Mini, Rotala Indica Bonsai... and from there form a triangular line leading to the back left hand corner. The medium plants should stop at the right hand side golden section in my opinion. Leaving space for a small leaved carpet.

I am very excited to follow this layout progress over time

Happy Scaping
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 06:31 PM
Planted Member

Both options look great- I personally prefer the 1st, but I am pretty boring. Beautiful wood pieces!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 11:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

They are both pretty cool. The second one is rather unusual. If you go with the first you got to cock that front piece of wood up a little it looks perfectly horiztonal which looks too unnatural to me.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 01:06 PM

Guys can anyone tell me me if I can put a soil substrate layer over a base of river sand.

Sent from my F103 Pro using Tapatalk
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 02:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Absolutely not, I don't know what your intentions are for your scape but I use substrate only for the planted areas, the rest is sand for cosmetic reasons. Of course it depends what you like and want in the future. Cheers and good luck...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 03:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Personally I would go with just one piece of wood. Once you add substrate the piece can be raised up and moved more off center, plus some rocks around it that will be plenty. Both pieces look good don't get me wrong, but it looks like it could be slightly crowded and it will be more difficult to maintenance especially if the wood is touching or practically touching the glass.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerclown View Post
Absolutely not, I don't know what your intentions are for your scape but I use substrate only for the planted areas, the rest is sand for cosmetic reasons. Of course it depends what you like and want in the future. Cheers and good luck...
Thanks buddy for attending to my query. I am setting up a 29 gallon planted tank. So during researching I found opinions that only sand as a substrate causes tender aquatic to suffocate and finally rot. So my aqua scape does not need the entire aquarium base to be laid with soil. Because some portions are going to be planted only. Rest will be decoration. Thus I was enquiring if I can lay the aquarium base with sand(whichever is suitable ) and if I can put soil on selected areas above it for plantation. Let me know your views. Thanks!!!

Sent from my F103 Pro using Tapatalk
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I prefer the first one quite a bit more just because I believe you could end up making it much better. The two peices of wood look ďdividedĒ you want them to look like one nature scene. I would add in lots of buce Anubis nana petite, dwarf hairgrass Belem, some hydro tripartia and maybe a little bit of color (more than just the buce) like A.R mini. I would plant it like a jungle right below the wood. Some needle leaf java fern would look nice on the wood in the background. Look up a tank journal called ďTangled RootsĒ it reminds me of your scape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode