New member here... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
New member here...

Well, this is my 1st planted tank... And actually my 1st aquarium... I guess you can say i'm an experienced horticulturist so i know a lot about the 14 main plant nutrients, organic and salt based... cation balance... ph.... so i think this planted tank should be do-able...
So i got a killer deal on a 36 gallon bowfront tank a few weeks ago. Came with stand, lid, pump for 40-70gallon tank, 200 watt heater and crappy 24" 18 watt T8 light... Its only 6 months old and i paid $100 for it all...
I ordered a dual bulb 30" T5 NO fixture last week and cant wait to get it. If i find this doesnt cut it i have a 4 bulb T5 HO 48" with 6500k bulbs. I'm hoping i dont need to use it, but if need be...
So 2 mistakes i already made... 1 not realizing that people layer the media before setting up tanks. 2 buying blue gravel...
I mixed the multi color blue gravel, with a half bag of natural color gravel, and added 1 bad of eco-complete. Being that i didnt origanally set this up for live plants and didnt layer my media right, i just mixed it all together and hope it works ok...
I added 1 piece of driftwood, have a small variety of plants, and some fish.
Like i said, dont bust my balls about the blue gravel. I didnt realize this its not cool anymore to have colored gravel, and i'm not gonna redo the whole thing over it.

my camera with the flash off could not get the greatest pictures, and with the flash on it looked like the light was off...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 10:25 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
One more from NJ welcome !
You have got an awesome deal on ur setup ...
Bout the blue gravel, i say its ur tank , do whatever you like to do, and enjoy it

Here is my betta in his nano with white gravel ...

I love the driftwood, you might wanna add some rocks .

Eheim Pimp Club #441

From Singapore to Jersey !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 10:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
You can just put some root tabs in the gravel for any root feeding plants. I keep a few root feeding plants in pool filter sand and pea gravel just fine. I use Seachem tabs but there are others to choose from. Inert substrate isnt a big deal unless you wanted to keep certain plants. I also have a 36 bow tank as my main show tank and absolutely love it. Great dimensions...

Just keep reading the forum and you'll learn a ridiculous amount.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
thanks for the reply's.
I want to add some large rocks, but i need to look at some other peoples pics to inspire me, before i go out any by rocks, without knowing how i'm going to place them...
I got the driftwood off ebay, mounted on a piece of slate. Its tough to tell but is hollow and the fish seem to love it.
I havent really thought much about adding additional nutes. Does anyone use organic nutes? i really dont like the fact of adding salt based nutrients to live fish...
I have a worm bin and plenty castings. Can i dissolve this and put it in? or is the nitrogen content going to be too high for the fish?
The only thing i dont like about the bowfront, is when you have your arm in it to rearrange stuff your perspecive is way off what your really doing. You have to take your arm out and look and go back in to re adjust...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode