A Room Divided: 29G Low Tech Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
A Room Divided: 29G Low Tech Planted Tank

Current photo (10/22/17):

Current Equipment, Flora, & Fauna (10/22/17):

29 Gallon Aqueon Aquarium (30 x 12 x 18)
Marineland Penguin 350 HOB (REMOVED)
Sunsun 303b Canister
Sunsun 200W inline heater (PENDING)
Sunsun 530gph powerhead (REMOVED)
Chihros 3M Clear vinyl hose
JARDLI Lily Pipe outflow & Surface skimmer inflow
Finnex Planted+ 24/7 (Running in 24/7 mode, 6a-10p; suspended 22" above substrate)

EcoComplete substrate
Pool Filter Sand
Driftwood from local bogs/creeks
Malaysian Driftwood
Rocks from the Tennessee foothills

Ludwigia Repens
Bacopa Carolinia
Java Fern "Narrow Leaf"
Java Fern "Windelov"
Christmas Moss
Aponogoten Sp.
Red Dwarf Water Lily

Dosing 2/3 EI twice a week
Seachem root tablets
x2 Flourish Excel daily

16 Neon Tetras
4 Otocinclus (Previously six)
4 Panda Corydoras
10+ Snail Sp. (Ramshorn, local horned snails, 1 massive mystery snail)

pH - 7.2
dGH - 6
dKH - 2

Greetings. Just got married and bought my first house, so an aquarium was necessary to make it feel like home.

I've lurked on these forums for ages, but I've finally started up a tank in earnest and this will provide a bit of accountability and insight for me.

So without further ado, here is how it started...

Initially, we were unsure where to place the aquarium. We have an open kitchen/dining space/living room, so no area immediately popped out to place the tank. Then my wife suggested we set it up as a divider.

Genius, but this presented the challenge of it being viewable from three sides.

So I started out with just the wood and a tentative design.

Next the plants. Narrow leaf and Windelov Java Fern were added in addition to Aponogoten bulbs, a dwarf lily bulb, and a crypt I've had for a year growing in an empty aquarium. They grew emersed for a few days before I flooded the tank.

I then added an old Marineland Penguin 350 HOB and a powerhead to get some circulation going to prevent algae and get a bacteria culture started. The first inhabitants were some Ramshorn I'd been keeping in a jar and some snails from local streams (I used to keep entirely native fish/invertebrate species at one point). I used them to help me know how my cycling was going. Once it was cycled I added six Ottos, but nearly all of the LFS here—as in many places—have horrible conditions, so I promptly lost two despite 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and barely 5ppm nitrates. Ottos are also typically wild caught, so what can you do?

I had been wavering on keeping a Corydoras of some kind, and when I made the final decision to add Pandas (4) I went ahead and added sand!
the

After looking at all of the horrid cords and the HOB blocking the view from one side, I realized I needed to bite the bullet and get a canister filter. After much deliberating I finally purchased a SunSun 303b, lily pipes, and the other accoutrements to make the tank appear "cleaner". I added the Bacopa Carolinia and Ludwigia Repens not long after.

The next step was to hang the light and get a bit more height since the substrate was so high at the peak of the slope.

Lastly, I added sixteen neon tetras at the behest of my wife and due to fish availability/price.

So here we are. I plan to add four more Panda Corys, two Ottos, and ten Celestial Pearl Danios once the plants have really filled in and the dwarf lily has sprouted some lily pads. Will keep updating weekly, but would appreciate any feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Channing.Miskel; 10-23-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 01:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
There are several of these “divider tanks” and I feel they are hard to accomplish due to three sides of view-ability. Anyone who can create a divide tank that looks nice has a natural talent. I believe you have that talent, and of course as time passes it will only look nicer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode