Spec V 2.0 - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have finally decided to go forward with a complete rescape of my Fluval Spec V.
Tank: Fluval Spec V (Original)
Light: Finnex Planted+ 24/7
Substrate: Fluval Stratum
Hardscape: Dragon Stone
Heater: 50W Aqueon Pro
CO2: Excel Daily
Fertilizer: PPS Pro or Easy Green
Inhabitants: To Be Determined
Plants: Eleocharis Acicularis 'Mini', Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo', Bucephalandra Sp. ‘Green’, Crурtосоrуnе flamingo, Bacopa caroliniana ‘Bacopa’, Ludwigia peruensis

-DAN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DanPlanted; 02-20-2018 at 01:16 PM. Reason: added plants
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 07:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I love the spec series, but my favorite is by far the V. Subscribed, keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Right now i'm trying to figure out what substrate to use, or just keep the on I have. I'm thinking Fluval Stratum.

-DAN

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 10:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Fluval is fine but ADA Amazonia is better, and Fluval Stratum is a lot more expensive per lbs.

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I ended up picking up some Stratum for cheaper than ADA or any other soil. Hopefully I can get the hardscape done this weekend so I could order plants.

-DAN

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Just got the last fish out and started emptying the tank, hopefully later today or tomorrow I can get the hardcape done. first i got to go out to Petco to picky up a 29 for $20 with a coupon.

-DAN

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Going a little slower than I had hoped.... Trying to get hard water stains off now. Those are just a pain. Next, I have to put together the hardscape and find someplace to order plants. One of my LFSs is getting a plant order next week so I might check that out and maybe a few Petsmart or Petco tissue cultures. I'll probably have to end up ordering from someplace online. On a side note, does anyone know if you can take off the stock LED holder/clip easily and without it looking terrible? It would be nice to have it off, but I'm afraid it won't match the frosted glass.

-DAN

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Working on hardscape now......

-DAN

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 04:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
How do you like the soil, looks interesting, may have to get some.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalm18.2 View Post
How do you like the soil, looks interesting, may have to get some.
Well, I only put it into the tank an hour ago, so it's far too early to tell, i'll have to wait until I plant the tank to see how well it works. So far I have no problems though, it was finer than I was expecting, which I guess is good.

-DAN

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 05:26 PM
Algae Grower

It will be interesting to see what you think of the Fluval stratum. I'm considering it myself for a nano cube I'm starting, the local Petco has started carrying it. I've used Seachem's Aquasolum before which I believe is similar to the Fluval.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yeah, Petco has the Stratum now. I also considered CaribSea Samurai Soil but ended up with this. My LFS also has the Seachem Aquasolum, how do you like it? From the little that I've researched most of these soil type substrates are pretty much the same, I think a lot f them are exactly the same product just packaged for different companies. Fluval and Caribsea tend to be the cheapest of all the options, that's why I went with Stratum.

-DAN

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 07:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Well that Fluval substrate looked good so I bought some too. Should be here Monday.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 08:08 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPlanted View Post
Yeah, Petco has the Stratum now. I also considered CaribSea Samurai Soil but ended up with this. My LFS also has the Seachem Aquasolum, how do you like it? From the little that I've researched most of these soil type substrates are pretty much the same, I think a lot f them are exactly the same product just packaged for different companies. Fluval and Caribsea tend to be the cheapest of all the options, that's why I went with Stratum.
The Aquasolum is fine, was my 1st foray into anything other than regular old natural gravel. I've used it in a jarrarium for raising shrimp and now I have it in a Fluval Flex capped w/Flourite. Plants like it but can be difficult to plant in until roots take hold.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 02:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Weird I havenít been able to see any of your photos. ):

Tags
fluval, nano, planted, spec, spec v

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode