Finals' 29g High Tech (Pics) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (24/100%)
Finals' 29g High Tech (Pics)

Alright so this tank has been in the works for quite awhile now. I literally started this tank as the noob of all noobs and have found myself becoming rather cocky recently. Before I start I'd like to thank Timwag2001, Lauralee, MsNikkiStar, Mordalphus, the artist formerly known as Onefang, and everybody who I've purchased from. They've answered my seemingly endless amount of questions thoroughly and have given me quite a bit of knowledge in a relatively small amount of time. This tank started with aspirations of being a High Tech Planted tank that would house some kind of High Grade shrimp. I quickly learned that I needed to slow down and take things one step at a time or I could be out a lot of $$$ very quickly. Lists to follow.

Equipment:
Coralife 30" T5HO x2 (10k/6.7k)
GLA's Ultimate C02 setup w/ Ph monitor
Hydor 300w inline Heater
Coralife inline 18w Twist Turbo UV sterilizer
ADA inline C02 diffuser
Eheim 2213
Marineland 350
Custom Lily pipes (Onefang)

Substrate is ADA Aqua soil I

Flora:
Glosso
Starougyne Repens
C. lucens
C. wendtii 'green'
Limnophila repens 'Mini'
Ludwigia senegalensis
Ludwigia repens
Blyxa Japonica
Erio japan shiga
Erio aquaticum
aciotis sp.

Fauna:
10 Yellow shrimp (2 berried)
10 Blue Bees
Red/Blue Ramshorns

Ferts:
Rootmedic Liquid ferts (6 pumps Mon-Fri) and Root tabs (every 3-4 inches once every 8 weeks or so)

This tank gave me hell for the 1st month. I had to deal with what I refer to as the "HGH" strain of green algae. I just couldn't get it to go away. Finally I caved and completely stripped the tank and started over. At first my intentions were to do a crazy aqua scape with moss trees and a nice glosso carpet. It looked wicked easy to do and I was all about it. Yeah .. not so easy apparently. So I decided to go with a more traditional scape. I actually stole the idea for my scape from one of Tom Barr's tanks that I saw in a sales thread he posted. It's still in the process of growing in so bare with me. Staurogyne Repens will be the foreground up front w. a few erios here and there. Blyxa Japonica will make up the mid-ground with all of my tall stem plants in the back. Let me know what you think. I'm always open to suggestions. Without them I would never have gotten this far. Thanks for reading this !

FTS:

Left Side:

Middle:

Right Side:

A lot of this was recently planted as you can tell. I just received a ton of new plants from Tom Barr and Looking4roselines so I had to do this brand new scape. I'll update the photos as the tank starts to grow in. Hope you all like it !

P.S. ADA Mini M Mist Type "R' is going to be next (around New Years !!!)

I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I apologize if I didn't thank somebody. There's just so many of you that have been amazingly helpful it's hard to keep track of lol.

I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 09:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (64/100%)
I'm interested in how this works out. I have the same tank and fixture but am currently using just 1 bulb at the moment.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah I'm sure they're quite a few people with similar tanks on this forum. It doesn't seem that uncommon. Kind of why I selected this to be my first attempt at a successful planted tank. I've tried others with my amazon fish that have failed miserably (ie no timers on lights no ferts etc.). People on this forum said that this would be the best way to learn and I have definitely learned a lot to the point that if somebody were to ask me to do a high tech set up with hard to grow plants I would be comfortable doing it. I almost feel that I could grow anything at this point. I'm wrong of course as I am definitely no Tom Barr. At the same time I think I could I could ask the right questions and work it out. You could ask all the questions in the world and still not have all the answers. Equipment is not everything. I'm a Medically retired Marine w/ a limited budget yet things still seems to grow for me. Research and knowledge seems to be everything in this hobby. That's the best advice I can give to anybody at this point. The right questions will get you a long ways. The wrong questions can set you back months. Something as simple as green water is a huge milestone for somebody like me. Conquering growing a Ludwigia repens "mini" is like climbing Everest in a sense. It now grows like a weed for me. One small step at a time is in fact a huge step in the long run. It brings new meaning to slow and steady wins the race. At first it makes no sense but in the long run it's what keeps you going. This website has been more the inspirational for me. It has been what keeps this hobby a reality for me and I am extremely thankful for it. Without people like Timwag2001 I would have given up a long time ago. Whenever I feel my confidence waivering I just pm him and my confidence is restored. It really is as simple as that. I wish there was some greater power keeping me going but that really is it. Experienced knowledge trumps all in my opinion. Sweet and to the point. Doesn't get any better then that really. I can only hope that other new hobbyists learn that as quickly as I have.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Whew format that wall of text next time. I read it all but now my eyes hurt ;x

It's good to see your tank coming together and you having confidence in it. I have no confidence in my tank I just hope I don't screw it up!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah I apologize lol. I'm horrible with formatting text. I also may or may not have been extremely inebriated when I wrote that. Took quite a bit of time. Keys kept moving on me.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode