LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
20g Dutch (Dwarf Puffer) - "Cheese Ball"

__________________________________________________ _______

The "Cheese Ball" 20g Dutch!

__________________________________________________ _______

One of my two 20 gallon shrimp tanks was converted this week into a dutch-like aquascape. This thread is to cover the setup and progress of this new tank with a focus on plants and it being an Indian dwarf puffer tank.

Will give full tank shot AFTER all my plants are in. USPS took 2 weeks to deliver my plants, so I had a lot of death

Equipment:
  • 20 gallon low iron (23.62 x 14.17 x 14.17)
  • Eheim 2215 Canister Filter
  • Eheim 50W Heater
  • Finnex Ray2 LED
  • Seachem Flourite / Seachem Black Sand

CO2 Setup:
  • Premium AQUATEK CO2 Regulator with Integrated Solenoid
  • GLA Inline Diffuser
  • Rhinox Drop Checker
  • 5 pound CO2 canister

Fertilizer:
  • GLA PPS-Pro Fertilizers
  • Seachem Flourish Tabs

Plants:
  • Alternanthera Reineckii 'Rosaefolia'
  • Pogostemon Helferi 'Downoi'
  • Dwarf Baby Tears (HC Cuba)
  • Dwarf Tiger Lily
  • Ludwigia Palustris
  • Ludwigia Gargantua
  • Cabomba Aquatica
  • Cabomba Purple
  • Crinum Calamistratum

Update #1: 10/19/2017

Tank setup!

https://youtu.be/T7xyoYu7kpU

I've been having an extremely rough week at work pulling 13 hours days, so the opportunity to setup my tank last night was both stressful and cathartic at the same time. The setup went over very well, but the issue with the dead plants on arrival is still there. A HUGE section of the tank is bare because of the loss of 3 plants, but I've already placed an order for new plants so hopefully those will arrive next week. I'm really happy with the results so far, but i'll update as I go:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Shrimp, Fish, Life.

Last edited by Byronyk; 11-08-2017 at 11:39 PM. Reason: adding
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update 10/23/2017

Finally got in the replacement plants from the bad USPS shipment. This included Cabomba purple, alternanthera reineckii 'rosaefolia', ludwigia gargantua, and a dwarf lily plant.

https://youtu.be/Mfep_92y8O0

thedood and thedood like this.

Last edited by Byronyk; 10-25-2017 at 01:30 AM. Reason: change
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update 11/8/2017

The dwarf puffers are in! So far, no aggression at all towards each other, or the shrimp. Plants are doing well, though I seem to have diatoms in the tank? KH/GH is 7/17, TDS 350~, lighting 8 hours per day with c02 (2-3 bbp).

https://youtu.be/7Vjil1kmqoQ
thedood and thedood like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Shrimp, Fish, Life.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 10:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Pics of the puffers? I had to drastically change my light schedule even with C02. 2 fixtures that probably put me at medium light for 6 hours followed by 3 hours of low "viewing" light. C02 is on for 9 hours starting at 1 hour before lights on. Some diatoms in a new tank are pretty standard.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
Pics of the puffers?
Sure!

- Shrimp, Fish, Life.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update 12/19/2017 - Algae problems!

I've been battling and winning against the green hair and green spot algae. What seems to have come in its wake is black hair/black beard algae. I'm looking for advice on fixing it, so any would be helpful!
  • Photoperiod: 8 hours
  • Lights: Finnex Ray 2
  • Co2: 8 hours -- 3bps

https://youtu.be/ALXGa2_J4YA

- Shrimp, Fish, Life.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update 12/31/2017 - Cleaning the Ehaim Canister Filter + Finding Lost Shrimp!

To end the year, I figured I'd START the new year with a clean canister filter! Got that work done, and found some shrimp in my filter media! I keep mesh over my intake pipe, so I have no idea how they got there. Regardless, they are back in the main display

https://youtu.be/uZbFnA2barA

- Shrimp, Fish, Life.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 09:31 PM
Planted Member

Great looking Puffers! Are they male/female?
I also find baby shrimp in my canister even though I use a prefilter, so there is
always a nice surprise when I clean it.
Byronyk and Byronyk like this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustabefast View Post
Great looking Puffers! Are they male/female?
I also find baby shrimp in my canister even though I use a prefilter, so there is
always a nice surprise when I clean it.
Yes! One 1:4 male/female. I don't really have intentions on breeding them, but if it happens neat!

- Shrimp, Fish, Life.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 12:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

Have your puffers started picking on the shrimp yet? I've been considering getting some to take care of a snail problem but I don't want them eating the shrimp.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
Have your puffers started picking on the shrimp yet? I've been considering getting some to take care of a snail problem but I don't want them eating the shrimp.
In my previous experience (and current) with Indian Dwarf Puffers, I've never had issues with them picking on dwarf shrimp/ammano shrimp/bamboo shrimp/etc. Personalities may vary, so I wouldn't blanket every poof with my experiences. If you do want to go that route, just watch them carefully.

- Shrimp, Fish, Life.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 01:39 AM
Algae Grower

Where did you get these dwarf puffers? They are beautiful! And so is your tank! I love cabomba but don't have any - does it shed the little needle leaves?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 12:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

Thanks Byronyk

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic Neurotic View Post
Where did you get these dwarf puffers? They are beautiful! And so is your tank! I love cabomba but don't have any - does it shed the little needle leaves?
I got them locally (Houston, Texas).

- Shrimp, Fish, Life.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update 1/7/2018 - Plant Unboxing!

I picked up some Rotala Indica 'Bonsai' to replace the original ones that were DOA from the original USPS shipment. I love this plant, and hopefully will grow well in my tank.

https://youtu.be/zPzTNmW3-xY

- Shrimp, Fish, Life.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode