55g Low Budget Low Tech - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 4 Post By Mastyxs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
55g Low Budget Low Tech

Everything about this tank is dedicated to scrounging cheap materials or just having to make due with materials that are less than ideal. I'm in Honolulu, HI so prices are already a lot higher on everything and I have very little budget to use on making a good aquarium, not that I'm even allowed to have one in this apartment complex anyways...

Lighting: 2 30W, 1 50W LED Flood lights 6700K I think. They are a cheap Chinese product that I've seen demonstrated to grow plants well.

Filter: 2 sponge filters that came free from my job, along with the tank itself.

Substrate: Black cinders (lava rock) and some other grey large gravel. Home depot special. Both atrocious for my purpose here, but I wont pay $80 a bag for aquasoil.

Scape: Basalt? rocks taken from the beaches on the island.

Flora:
Ammania gracilis
Cabomba caroliniana
Cabomba piauhyensis
Cryptocoryne parva
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Glossostigma elatinoides
Nymphaea tiger lotus
Rotala macrandra
Rotala wallichii
Staurogyne repens
Vallisneria sp.

Fauna:
1 Bristlenose pleco (caught in Manoa stream)
8 Harlequin rasbora
5 Pencilfish sp.
3 Otocinclus

Bump: This is all the very first day of setup. Tank had been a poorly executed aquaponics system beforehand, hence the algae growth already. Will update with more pictures fairly soon. I will also try to get whatever else I can from the streams here. Certainly some shrimp (Neocardinia but just the off-brown form) and mosses are here in the streams. Supposed to be cory cats too, as well as some plants like Bacopa.

Will be adding some basic CO2 soon and developing some sort of dosing regimen in the next week. Water is free so I will probably do weekly large changes, however a python is $110 for absolutely no reason so I'll find a way to subvert that cost somehow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	796954  

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	796962  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	796970  

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	796978  

Name:	12.jpg
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	796986  

Name:	13.jpg
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	796994  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 01:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Are you kidding that you have all those species local?? I expected the substrate and rocks to look nice.... I mean it Hawaii... but the fish and shrimp we all spend a fortune on are in a local stream free for the taking? That's really cool. I would pack that thing with whatever you can get locally... Corys, Neo shrimp, pencilfish... like 20 of each... maybe 50-100 shrimp. If I lived in Hawaii I would drag my wife out daily to gather livestock and stones and driftwood. You are off to a great start. I hope you keep up with this I'm interested in what you can gather.

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode