10G Guppy Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
10G Guppy Tank

Hey everyone, I'm fairly new to the forums (I have made a couple posts) but I thought I would start journaling my new 10G build.

It's a low budget, standard 10G build. I will have pictures in an hour or so but I will give some info now.

Things I have:

- The tank is a standard 10G tank with an iron stand ($5 on craigslist)
- The substrate is ActivFlora ($1 at PetSmart.. the bag was on clearance for months)
- Filtration will be a sponge filter (I plan on fry, and arrangements are made at two LFS)(<$3 on eBay)
- Flat Sandstone pieces (will have pictures)(Free at a landscaping place)
- Guppies (fry from my fiancee's tank, about 15. I will pick about 5 and send the rest of to the LFS)

Things I need:
- Heater
- Lighting - will be two work lights with 26W 6500k CFL bulbs, probably just clamped to a DIY brace of some sort ($15-$20)
- Plants
- HC
- Christmas Tree moss OR Flame moss
- Anubias nana (maybe petite if funds allow)

Pictures to come!

And Here they are (sorry for the poor quality... my camera got stolen so I am using an older one)

Before the magic:

After the magic (well kinda.. I think I want more of that stone on the right to make it even)

Full:

Left:

Right:

Do you guys think I should add more on the right or no?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregpxc View Post
Do you guys think I should add more on the right or no?
Maybe one more tier, but I think it looks good. I like its asymmetrical look. Can't wait to see what it looks like once it matures a bit more.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

That's the general conclusion over at aquariumforum so I think I'll try and get another tier in there. I have a couple pieces left so maybe I can do so without going back and begging for more =P

Do my plants seem like they will work out okay? I am also open to some plant suggestions. I may want to get a couple more variations but I want the rock and the fish to be the main focus.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I reworked the right side and that center rock just a little bit. I'll take pics as soon as the water clears up. This is easily my best hardscape, I surprised myself haha. I am going to an auction on sunday so hopefully I can pick up some of my plants. Guppies will go in when I get my filter... Shouldn't have ordered it from Taiwan... Hmm o well, should be next week sometime, if I get impatient I'm sure the filter from the 1.5 will hold me over.

Thanks for suggestions and checking out my tank so far
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Alright so I borrowed my coralife light from my 20 to take some pics that are better colored (not yellow). Again don't mind the plants on top =P and I think the rocks will stay after this. Anyway here you go:

Front:

Angle:

Left:

Right:

What do you think?
I am going to see if I have worklights today and hopefully get something going with those so I can move forward on this a bit more.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Okay big update (pics later)

I went and picked up that free 20 gallon, it came with a lot which I will list below:
- 20 G Standard tank
- wrought (sp?) iron stand (for two tanks, cuz I need an excuse to get ANOTHER tank...)
- two heaters (one brand new)
- air stone
- air pump
- aquaclear (I think) filter
- siphon
- net
- Fish (Tiger Barb; in my 30 gal. semi-agressive - 4 Guppies; obviously in this tank now - 3 Emerald Corys; in the 10 for now as well)
- Plants - 3 big Java Ferns (she said they were 20 years old)
- Fish food, algae wafers and tropical flake

Then, I went to the auction and picked up:
- 8 Day Glow Victoria Lake Cichlids for $2 (I then brought them to my LFS and donated them because I didn't feel I could properly raise them)
- 1 mated pair of Killies (I can give you more info later on those, I'm not sure on specifics) They are currently in this 10 gallon as well

Which brings me to the next part.

Today I:
- Added a heater
- Added an HOB filter (no more sponge filter for me =])
- Added all three clumps of java moss (I know it wasn't in the plan but when I post pics I will ask for opinions. My killie already LOVES it.
- Added all the guppy fry (20 or so) Plus a new male from PetSmart, plus the four (3 males, one female) from that lady with the free tank
- Added 3 Emerald corys (from the lady with the free tank)
- Added the mated pair of killies (They scared me.. They found several ways to get behind the stones but after the addition of the fern they are out in the plants now =]

I will post pics in a bit, I hope you are itching to see them =P

I will check this before I take pics so let me know if you have any requests for specific pics.

I will try to cover everything but It may be hard to do so make your requests known and I will shoot it.

I will make more specific comments about things when I take pics so hold off on suggestions til then.

Thanks for looking!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Alright here are the updated pics, there are plants!

FTS - I don't know if I am keeping the java fern in there, I just didn't want to put it in my other tank and this one had room. If you guys like it, I will bury the roots and keep it. If I bury the roots, it will be a bit shorter so it doesn't seem so huge.

Angle

Left

Right

Mom and Dad guppy - free from that lady

Dollar guppy from petsmart

Bottoms up

3 Emerald Corys - Free from that lady

Woman Killie - she was hard to photograph

Man Killie - He is amazing

Let me know what you guys think I should do with the plants, I am not sure quite yet what I want to do. I do know, however, that the killies love it and I even stuffed some anacharis down in there to hopefully persuade them to breed, which I don't expect from them until I have them alone.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The killies have been moved out of the 10 and into THIS TANK.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Everything is going fine. I did lose one fry, maybe a result of a cycle? who knows, but everyone else seems happy. One guppy appears to be ready to drop soon. Her spine is crazy bent though... I am not sure why, maybe just a birth defect? I know they get them frequently in guppies.

I went to an auction today and got another pair of killies, I will post pics over in my killie thread though later. I also picked up some grass, I will post pics and a name when I get back to my tanks later on.

Give me some suggestions!

As many of you know, I am over on S&S trying to get some plants to fill this thing in (kind of bland right now) so hopefully I can get on ordering some of those tomorrow when I get paid.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode