This is my first attempt at a Cichlid tank. Originally I was going to do high tech planted but changed my mind after having nearly everything purchased. This won't be updated much, if at all since it's basically sand with a pile of rocks and the only thing that will be changing is the fish size as they grow (hopefully).
I know this is plantedtank.net and I have no plants, but the main reason for posting is to show that you shouldn't necessarily believe or rely on everything you read online. I wanted to use my reef ready 125 gallon tank with dual herbie drains and a 75 gallon sump in my basement. Much of what I read suggested that it wouldn't work well the way I wanted to do it: "You should have short drain lines. They should be equal length. They should go straight down into the sump with little to no horizontal runs. Etc."
Well guess what? I'm decided to try it my way. I'm such a rebel.
What I ended up with is a dead silent system that moves a ton of water with awesome flow in every corner of the tank and it purges the air from the lines within 30 to 45 seconds of startup.
Some of the specs:
125 gallon Marineland reef ready tank
75 gallon Aqueon tank converted to sump
Iwaki MD-55RLT return pump
2 - 36" Current Satellite Plus PRO lights (originally purchased for the planted tank setup)
Reefkeeper Elite system
Caribsea Eco-complete Cichlid sand (ivory coast)
10 & 20 PPI Poret foam in sump
24 liters (yes, 24 liters) of Seachem Matrix in sump
Rocks. Lots of rocks.
48" long 1" diameter spray bar produces amazing, even flow to all corners of the tank.
Some of the plumbing under the tank. It's in a perfect location in front of a cold air return so I could run everything through it. No holes to cut through the floor. If I decide to move on to a different hobby I just have to buy a new grille.
Lots of Spaflex to make plumbing easy and eliminate 90 degree elbows.
The nerve center. The dosing pumps from the RKE aren't currently in use. Again, they were purchased when I planned to do a planted tank.
The system was up and running for a couple of months without anything in the display tank for testing. About a month ago I added the substrate and rocks and the cycle completed last week. Fish should be arriving tomorrow or Wednesday.