43G -First Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
43G -First Planted Tank

Hi,

To make a long story short; we put together a tank that was not planted and well it didnt look real at all. Also we asked for a tank that was planted at one of the LFS and they quoted a price that was unreal about 7 times the price of the tank that we put together.

Here are some pictures. It is a first attempt and the tank has been running for 100 days now. I have some algae problems and a ramshorn problem but learning to cope with these issues.

Thanks,
Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 05:45 PM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
The rotala is beautiful in your tank. What are you dosing? By the way, I can't see the algae.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
The rotala is beautiful in your tank. What are you dosing? By the way, I can't see the algae.
Hi Sewingalot,

I am dosing KNO3,K2SO4 AND KH2PO4 alternating with Seachem Flourish and Oceanfree Iron suplement.

The algae is there Had a very difficult time with it earlier. Will post some pics of the tank when it was filled with Algae. It got so bad that I had to take the carpet of dwarf hair grass and plant it again.

Sam
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Smile

So when I took out the covering from the back of the tank and took a good look at the scape, I found that the banana plant had gotten so large that you could not see the sword that was growing behind it. Frankly, I mistook the Banana for the sword smiply because I hadnot seen a fully grown sword or banana plant before.
I moved the banana plant out the aquarium into the quarantine tank and did some rescaping. I also think, I figured out how to control GDA using the MCI method. I get GSA at 15ppm and therefore am maintaining it there. I have not seen GDA advance on the glass for the past two days and a good week of monitoring will help. There is some GDA on the glass which was a light burst from the first day. The BBA (rodophyta) has also decrease but it is still there and that is something I am still working on. I have left the CO2 at about 1 bPs and now there is no fluctutation of CO2 but I see the indicator showing high all the time. Trying to get a drop checker rather than the monitor that I have.
Here are some pictures. I think the revised scape does look a lot better. I have taken off the excess of Rotalla growing around though I like the natural jungle look. Trimmed the ones I left, brought the sword forward and planted corymbosa around it.

And this is a short video, good amount of photosynthesis happening. The fishes are out of the tank. We introduced two more rainbows into the tank. Unfortunately they brought ich along with them and that affected most of the fished and all of them are in quarantine. The ones in the tank especially the rummynose are too hard to catch and therefore we left them in the tank and raised the temprature. Dont think I can add ich medicine to the tank without harming the plants.

http://s892.photobucket.com/albums/a...1161539231.mp4

Thanks,
sam
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 02:01 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sorry about your ich!

The tank is really getting lush, though. Great work!

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
15 harlequin rasboras, 4 roseline sharks, 1 neon blue dwarf gourami, 3 clown loach, 1 coolie loach, 12 neon tetras, 1 bristlenose pleco, 3 amano shrimp, 8 ghost shrimp, 2 pearl gouramis, 3 siamnesis
[
]
2 green terror cichlids, 1 electric blue jack dempsy
[
]
N+1 red cherry shrimp
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Smile update

Thanks Klivian,

I was doing some fooling around with 1 of the photos of the tank must say it is turning out well. There are som more plants that I want to put in there. The bunch of plants that I got first had some that came in real bad condition and I am waiting from the plant guy to come back from his vacation.

Picture below.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 03:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
You have a beautiful tank!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 05:22 PM
I ♥ BBA!

I love that picture you took on the 18th! Thanks for posting specifications, by the way. How is your algae doing? Looks like it is getting better from the last picture. I agree with Licfish, you have a beautiful tank!

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update 24/12 (Pics & Video)

Been quite sometime since I posted. I moved things around so that I could have some color in the tank but ended up changing the topology all together. I have a new scape. The tank is now stocked with all the fishes that I intented to put in there.

This is the current layout of the tank

Added two Angels in the tank last month. Will be adding cardinals when I get ones big enough to stand upto the angels.

I added the following plants for color - Alteranthera; Wallichi, Perennis and arcuata.

The added color gives the tank a different look now. Below are some pics (I defenitely have to improve on my photography skills). I have added a short video also.

Enjoy. Wishyou a Merry Christmas and Happy New year!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnEzNbY-Z4Q

Thanks,
Sam

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 04:25 PM
Banned

PTrader: (43/100%)
Merry christmas and happy new year as well! And your tank looks great! Following along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra View Post
I sell plants but not green thumbs, sorry.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Talking Updated Video Location

Hi,

LICFish, Sewingalot & Problemman - Thank you. Glad you like the tank.

Moved the video. Below is the new location

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH-d-rSKfOY

Thanks,
Sam

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 07:14 AM
Banned

PTrader: (43/100%)
nice video the tank looks great!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra View Post
I sell plants but not green thumbs, sorry.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

New Video Update(30/12)

Hi,

Updating with new video and pics put together in the video.

what do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrQZ8fQxRSY

Thanks,
Sam

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 08:55 AM
I ♥ BBA!

Very pleasing. I love the new angels. Your riccia seems incredibly happy.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode