20 long Dwarf Puffer - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Harbinger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
20 long Dwarf Puffer

After my failed 20g DIY all-in-one I pulled the dwarf puffer I had left and set up a new 20 long for him and some new friends. This is the current FTS shot.

Tank: Aqueon 20 long I got during Petco's $/gallon sale
Light: Finnex Planted+ 24/7 30"
Filter: Eheim 2211
Heater: Aqueon 150w Preset
Substrate: Turface Pro, washed

Stock: 3x dwarf puffer, 5x neon tetra
Food: Mosquito larvae, Black Worms, Grindal Worms, Daphnia
Plants: HC cuba carpet, Staurogyne repens, Bucephalandra sp. 'Green', Java Fern, Cryptocorne, Anubias nana, Christmas Moss, Red Lotus?

While the fish ran through quarantine I did a dry start for about a month before flooding. The Aubias and Java Fern are from the plastic tubes sold in Petco, my local store is actually pretty good. The Buce 'Green' and S. repens are from those little tissue culture bags from Petco. The HC cuba and Xmas Moss are from a member. Most of the original growth on the cuba died but new growth is an inch long and starting to spread. Everything is doing well under the Planted+ on the 24/7 setting.

I had one dwarf puffer from the previous 20g so I moved him to a 10 gallon quarantine tank while I set up the 20 long. I picked up three new puffers and seven neon tetras at the LFS so I could quarantine all the fish in one go. At the LFS all the puffers were very active and healthy looking but after a few days in the QT one of the dwarf puffers, which was only about 1/4", passed away after not eating and sitting at the bottom of the tank for two weeks. One neon also wasted away so only six made it into the 20g. After running treatments of PraziPro and Paraguard I moved them into the 20g on October 1st. I lost another neon who went carpet surging the 2nd day so now I'm down to 5 Everyone else is doing great now though. The puffers don't bother the neons at all, but the neons are a lot more aggressive feeders so I make sure each puffer gets something during feeding time. Sometimes the puffers will pick at each other during feeding time but I haven't noticed any damage. I believe the survivor of the first 20g is a male, he's just under an inch long at the moment. The new 2 puffers are smaller and might be females, which would be awesome! Sometimes all three will hang out in a group but while they're hunting around they go off on their own. Now I wait for plants to grow in and try to make enough food for my fish...

The survivor "Frankie"

One of his girlies

A neon

cuba
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode