10 Gal Emersed Growout Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
10 Gal Emersed Growout Tank

so...after a combination of a few things and after another failure (my 2nd) with RCS shrimp...

(dont kno what happened...I had a whole colony of about 200 a year ago...heater malfunctioned and boiled them all in the middle of summer...and now they just wont survive in my tanks anymore - but thats another story)

I decided to get around to trying another DIY substrate (i have a 20 with MTS - I dont like it as much as I thought i would - battling tannins and whatnot) and also as a means to play around with a new toy (a timelapse camera)

I bleach-bombed the tank, equip and filters...threw out my drift wood...threw out my old substrate....cleaned and cleaned and cleaned...decided to try a different approach went to walmart and bought a red bag (<$3) of special kitty and then to lowes for some osmocote and finally vitamin shoppe for some gel caps (all same shopping center )

...filled up about 10 00-gel caps...put a 1/2" layer of dry litter...placed the caps...another 1.5" layer of litter and slowly filled to the substrate level

seeded it with some glosso (my favorite ground cover...I may do some HC next year as Ive given up on DHG)

my plan is to grow this out emersed until it covers the tank footprint or the new year (whichever is first)...then redo my 20gal or get a 40-50gal with the glosso as the ground cover and try my hand at an Iwagumi setup..may even wait as Ill probably be moving in May

finally...when all is said and done...post a time lapse video of the whole thing

Specs
Tank: Std. 10gal
Ferts: Osmocote
Substrate: Special Kitty Litter
Lighting: 3-17w 8000k Allglass T8 bulbs with painted white DIY hood @9hrs daily
CO2: pressurized paintball tank
I cut and placed a sheet of maybe 1/16" or 1/32" thick acrylic across the top and drilled a hole to feed CO2 in and preserve humidity

Deliverables:

1) weekly photos of growth
2) time lapse video of growth (not sure how to post it just yet but I have time) I chose a shot every 1 hr...depending on time, I may or may not remove the night shots as they wont be too interesting

Sunday Nov. 7 2010

Nov 14th 2010

Nov 21st 2010

cant see it too well, but there are about 5 places seeded witha little bit of glosso
...the cool thing is that I can already see some growth in 1 day

doubt there are any questions as glosso isnt too exotic but...til next week!

it is IMPOSSIBLE to find 1 person who regrets going pressurized

if you do it right, you can spend a lot of money in this hobby...of course, if you do it wrong - you'll spend A LOT more
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MrMoneybags; 11-22-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

UPDATE a week in and not much to report think Im gonna start fertilizing the tank...may fill so it will be easier to manipulate or add some fish...tanks kinda boring (yes I get that its a grow out tank)

at least you can see some green starting to peak thru

if you do it right, you can spend a lot of money in this hobby...of course, if you do it wrong - you'll spend A LOT more
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MrMoneybags; 11-22-2010 at 01:21 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

bad news...looks like Im gonna have to change the title soon...it was supposed to be an emersed grow out tank...but the temps have started taking a dip (it is the end of fall/winter months)

...checked my tank this morning and it was ~58F inside...cant be good for my "tropical" plants so...will probably fill er up later this week...

Ill keep the time lapse going tho according to plan

...man the hardest part of all of this is STILL the waiting

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

UPDATE

so...I added some HC that I was growing outside in a planter just for the hell of it...justa few plugs here and there, and had a MAJOR die off (the brown on the right in the pics)

but now its starting to come back with a vengeance

oh well...will probably fill it later this week because still having the same problem...but Im getting excellent growth with kitty litter...lets see if we can keep it going!

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

ARGH! utter failure!!

got kinda curious about status of the timelapse...and just realized I didnt set the focus correctly

I have 2wks of blur

sooo....time to redo the tank again and I think Im gonna plan the tank on paper first

[Profane!] !!!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 03:55 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoneybags View Post
ARGH! utter failure!!

got kinda curious about status of the timelapse...and just realized I didnt set the focus correctly

I have 2wks of blur

sooo....time to redo the tank again and I think Im gonna plan the tank on paper first

[Profane!] !!!
Uhh why let it go for 2 weeks without checking the video even once?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Time.
Lapse.

now get out plz
kthxbye

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 04:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I had kitty litter under the substrate and it made a mess when I moved plants. Thus thought it couldn't be used as sole substrate. From vitamin shoppe you got dolomite capsules? I wonder if you fill the tank up if it would create a mess?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

it doesnt if you fill it up slow

I had a 20gal with the same stuff

I eventually broke it down because the litter wasnt heavy enough...after I cycled then added fish...when the fish played in it...it would create a dust storm that coated everything in the tank

so I switched it out for some heavier gravel...may do a journal on it

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 10:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoneybags View Post
It doesnt if you fill it up slow. I had a 20gal with the same stuff. I eventually broke it down because the litter wasnt heavy enough...after I cycled then added fish...when the fish played in it...it would create a dust storm that coated everything in the tank. so I switched it out for some heavier gravel...may do a journal on it
Interesting. I wish you would start a thread on it. Someone has asked about using just the kitty litter and I told her my problems with it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode