• 2 Post By Triport
  • 2 Post By Silang
  • 2 Post By Brian_Cali77

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Brian's 12g (Looong) Rimless - Journal

Back at it again with a 12g, this time a "long" (pun intended) time favorite tank size I've always wanted but couldn't justify... That is, until now, the Mr. Aqua 12g long has arrived. In low iron high clarity glass to boot!!

After selling a few things I accumulated in the hobby, I was able to scrape up some funds and acquire this beauty, shipped to my door (and with a help of a small coupon) for a whopping $10, out of pocket. Score!

I was able to justify this acquisition with the misses because we moved to a new place that was more than double the size and there was a perfect spot for it on a pair of Ikea kallax shelf units. I think the planets were in alignment and it was destiny to finally get one of these!

What else justified this build was the fact that I have extra bags of substrate, unused hardscape material, filters, co2 mini regulator, and a light... So the only real investment would be my time, plants and fish.

With that said, here's the run down:

* Tank: Mr. Aqua 12g Long (35.4" x 8.3" x 9.4")
* Light: 24" Ecoxotic E-Series
* Substrate: Brightwell Aquatics FlorinVolcanit + ADA Aquasoil Amazonia
* Ferts: PPS-Pro and Flourish Tabs.
* CO2: Aquatek mini paintball
* Filter: Fluval 106 + CalAqua Labs Lily Pipes + AZOO Skim 250

After a little internal debate and asking opinions in my 60p journal, I decided to go with a frosty clear background (instead of black) coupled with the clean, but also higher maintenance, Lily pipe combo. Nothing screams sexier than a rimless with lily pipes, IMHO. So I measured and cut to size some Con-Tact clear shelf liner, which is more like a semi-opaque self adhesive privacy glass material. It's good stuff because it's easily removable without leaving a sticky residue. What a pain to apply on a large surface tho! Left some bubbles here and there, despite trying my best to squeegee them out. But dang, it still looks clean, especially with the sharp crisp lines of this tank, excellent silicone work, and elegant beveled glass edges.. Wow I'm ecstatic!

[IMG]https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4485/23641854768_fe7eb82177_b.jpg
[/IMG]

So for lighting, my initial thought is that because I have both 24" Ecoxotic E-Series suspended over the ADA 60p, I'd use my "extra" 18" E-Series on this 36" long tank... Wait.. This doesn't sound right! Lol. But maybe if I suspended it high enough and at full-power output, maybe the light spread would be large enough? Wrong! It almost would work if I kept an island center type of scape, but ideally I'd want a 36" long light fixture, but I decided to swap the 18" light with a 24" one from my 60p build. I also decided on doing another conduit pipe light hanger, but this time with a single 90 bend over the 12g long and paint it black to match the dark brown wood furniture. Lastly, a nice guy in my 60p club in TPT agreed to make me a copy of his pair of custom designed and cut acrylic light brackets that hold the E-Series to the conduit pipe with precision. They look fantastic and I finally get to use them after holding on to them for years!!

[IMG]https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4462/23641855678_6f5b5a5199_b.jpg
[/IMG]

[IMG]https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4484/37236235560_86b02580b4_b.jpg
[/IMG]

And finally, swapping the 18" fixture to the 24", which is much much better!! oh and my girlfriend helped with the side decor... Lol

Night mode:

[IMG]https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4443/23642134238_86be4af1c0_c.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks for following and any comments.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
| [
]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 03:42 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I like it the way it is! Fill and add fishs😋👌

Bump: One day i will have another 12g long again
Brian_Cali77 and Brian_Cali77 like this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 04:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What are you thinking of stocking it with? I always think these 12g tanks are so interesting but my house is rather small so I can't justify the space they take. I always want big big big tanks now.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 04:32 AM
Planted Member

Planning my own long tank late this year. Following this one

low cost, low maintenance
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 01:05 PM
dru
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Nice setup. How did you mount the conduit?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofuaqua View Post
I like it the way it is! Fill and add fishs

Bump: One day i will have another 12g long again
Hey Tofu (love the name, btw)... Yeah clean and minimalism, love it too! Haha.. What happen to the old 12g L for you? Maybe one up it this time and for the 22g long bigger brother (not that I'm bad influence)! Anyways, Thanks for the compliment and following.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triport View Post
What are you thinking of stocking it with? I always think these 12g tanks are so interesting but my house is rather small so I can't justify the space they take. I always want big big big tanks now.
Hi Triport ... I'm not sure about stock yet. Any suggestions? I'm thinking small schooling fish, maybe some ground dwellers like pygmy or julii Cory's, something colorful like rams or peacock gudgeon. Would love suggestions!

Yeah I feel you on limited space. When I was living in Cali, because of cost-of-living and my not so well paid salary, I had a 600 sq. ft. apartment... Moving to AZ, housing is significantly less and way bigger! My new place is 4x that, cost about the same.. But if you like the looks of long shallow tanks, and because space is limited, I'd get the ADA 60F or its even smaller sibling, the 45F. Heck, I have Mr. Aqua's 3g bookshelf tank, and it looks like a mini version of this 12g long. IMHO, you can have just as much fun working with aquascaping nano/pico tanks as their larger counterparts if you focus on proportions, golden ratio rules, etc. and make the tank "appear" larger than it is. Anyways, thanks for the comment and follow!

Found this meme... We can only wish! Lol

|
|
|
|
|
| [
]

Last edited by Brian_Cali77; 10-07-2017 at 06:11 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silang View Post
Planning my own long tank late this year. Following this one
Well, given that we're relatively close to the end, I'd say that's a nice Xmas present to get!! Do tell when it gets started, I'll follow your build as well. Thanks for the follow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
Nice setup. How did you mount the conduit?
Thanks... I drilled 3 holes at the bottom of the conduit, about 3" apart. This not only secures it at the base with this bracket, but allows for vertical adjustments in height.. There's one more bracket at the top that stabilizes the stand.

Here's the bracket that is at the base:
dru and dru like this.

|
|
|
|
|
| [
]
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 09:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have some little tetras and pygmy corys that might work (Hyphessobrycon elachys - reed tetra, Corydoras pygmaeus and hastatus). Thinking of getting ember tetras next (Hyphessobrycon amandae). They might work in your 12g. Also have a look at all the little micro rasboras like Boraras brigittae.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 01:33 PM
dru
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thanks for the detailed pics Brian

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode