40 Breeder High Tech Planted turned Corydoras Community - The Planted Tank Forum
 324Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 273 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
40 Breeder High Tech Planted turned Corydoras Community

I am a long time lurker with some other planted tanks but with my latest build I thought it would be fun to do one of these journals.

Got a 40breeder at the Petco $1/gallon sale and my initial thought was to just do a simple low tech tank stocked with a bunch of different Corydoras species. I have always wanted to do that. But the dimensions of a 40breeder are so perfect that I couldn't resist doing a high tech planted tank. Initially thought I would do a full Dutch tank with no other decor but then I saw some nice setups using ADA hornwood and since I live a few hours away from SF I took a day trip to pick up some hardscape.

Anyway this is the gear:
  • 40 Breeder (36x18x17)
  • Black Laguna Pine Stand (originally bought a metal stand but hated the look and splurged)
  • Current USA 36" Satellite Plus PRO LED x 2
  • Hydor Pro 350 Canister Filter **Leaked during setup! ARRRRGGH! I will never stray from Eheim again**
  • Eheim Pro 4+ 350 Canister Filter as the replacement filter
  • NilocG Aquatics Glass Co2 Drop Checker
  • NilocG Aquatics Rex Grigg Co2 Reactor
  • 70 lbs. CaribSea Super Naturals Sunset Gold Sand
  • ISTA 150w 5/8" External Inline Heater

ETA: Eventually added an Eheim Classic 2215/350 with Purigen to act as a water polisher and extra filtration. The reactor and inline heater reduced the flow on the Eheim Pro enough that it became a necessity.

Gathering equipment for the 40g Breeder Planted Aquarium by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

Under the "hood"

Equipment for 40 gallon Planted Aquarium by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

Hardscape materials are ADA Hornwood and Manten Stone (I have used ADA Ohko and Yamaya in other tanks and Manten is by far my favorite).

Plants I decided to go all tissue culture. I had never used them before and with stem plants it seems like they often send you plants with emersed foliage for ease of shipping so it doesn't always transition well to submersed. Thought I would give this a shot. Fun experience and the new tank looks like a bunch of little plugs.

Aqua Forest TC plants (I got to pick out in person while I was there)
  • Cyperus helferi
  • Ludwigia repens 'Super Red'
  • Pogostemon helferi
  • Nesaea pedicellata
  • Hygrophila pinnatifida x 2

Buce Plant TC plants
  • Staurogyne repens
  • Lagenandra meeboldii 'Red'
  • Proserpinaca palustris
  • Ranunculus inundatus
  • Cryptocoryne 'Flamingo'
  • Rotala wallichii (stem plant)

Aquarium Plants Factory TC plants
  • Pogostemon erectus

All of these companies are in California which I like because that means they do not have to travel far to get to me. In the past Ihad been ordering from Florida.

Pretty happy with the way things turned out. I am a garden designer so you would think I would have more confidence in my scaping abilities but designing with underwater plants is a whole different experience than designing with terrestrial plants.

New 40gallon breeder planted aquarium by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

Just for reference here is a before and after shot of the part of my yard:

Before and after 2009-2017 by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

Bump: Just a few days after set up I made my first changes. I misunderstood the growth habit of Lagenandra meeboldii 'Red'. I thought it was like Anubias or Buce and would creep along stems but apparently it is more like a Cryptocoryne. So I moved it forward in front of the driftwood and moved some Ranunculus and Hygrophila to accommodate it.

Moved some Lagenandra meeboldii 'Red' to a more prominent position in front of the hornwood by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

Here is an aerial view of the left side of the tank.

Aerial view of left side by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

and the right side of the tank.

Aerial view of right side by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

Last edited by Triport; 08-20-2018 at 11:12 PM. Reason: added note
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 273 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Incidentally for this tank I am buying in RO water from a nearby shop that sells it (having my own RO unit is out of the question in my drought stricken California coastal town. Too much waste water). I am using Seachem Equilibrium, Alkaline Buffer, and Acid Buffer.

Water parameters

GH 80 ppm
KH 40 ppm
pH 6.5

My fish are ordered and arriving on Wednesday! As I said, I had initially thought to do a huge grouping of different species of Corydoras, but now that this is so thoroughly planted I am not sure that is the best idea. So my initial stocking will be:

20 x Hyphessobrycon elachys (reed tetra)
6 x Hyphessobrycon megalopterus (black phantom tetra)

Also ordering Otocinclus, and 5 x Corydoras eques, who will wait in my quarantine tank until the 40g is ready for them. I'll see how the Corys do before I decide if I want to get any more of them.

Not 100% committed to how I will stock the rest of the tank. Some thoughts are a school of Hyphessobrycon amandae (ember tetras) or Hemigrammus bleheri (firehead or rummynose tetra), a few Dicrossus filamentosus or other dwarf cichlid, a school of Corydoras hastatus (to swim around with the reed tetras), and a few Farlowella vittata to help the Otos with algae control.

Nothing set in stone however and I am very tempted to just add a bunch of cardinal tetras even though I have another tank with them. But I love them so much. Have to stay strong and get something different!
Hitaiwan666 and Hitaiwan666 like this.

Last edited by Triport; 10-03-2017 at 07:01 AM. Reason: puncutation
post #3 of 273 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 11:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looks great. I had a hard time finding checkerboard cichlids. Apisto's are pretty awesome though and you could do a pair or trio in there.

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 273 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

There are no decent LFS anywhere near me so I end up mail ordering all my fish trough The Wet Spot. They usually have them and a wide range of Apistos too.Was really nervous having fish delivered via post the first time I did it but now I am pretty comfortable with it and have been happy with the results so far. Checking their availability list as it is updated each Friday is about as exciting as visiting a well stocked LFS and checking out all the tanks.
post #5 of 273 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 02:30 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triport View Post
There are no decent LFS anywhere near me so I end up mail ordering all my fish trough The Wet Spot. They usually have them and a wide range of Apistos too.Was really nervous having fish delivered via post the first time I did it but now I am pretty comfortable with it and have been happy with the results so far. Checking their availability list as it is updated each Friday is about as exciting as visiting a well stocked LFS and checking out all the tanks.

I always use a LFS when I can, but if you have to order, Wet Spot is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 273 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah I spent most of my life living in or near large cities (NYC, LA) so always had lots of choices for great LFS. But the past 11 years I have lived on the central coast of California about 4 hours away from both SF and LA so there sadly is not much here. The few times I did buy from one of the stores ended badly so now I just do most of my ordering online. Order is coming tomorrow. Can't wait!

post #7 of 273 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 09:14 PM
dru
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nice start, will be following along
Triport and Triport like this.
post #8 of 273 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 01:58 AM
Planted Member

OOOOoooOOOOooOOOOOOOooooooh looks a little like what I have now. Horn wood is so fantastic and I had no problem sinking it. I can't wait to see how yours ends up.
post #9 of 273 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah actually I had some old manzanita from another tank that I had removed and was originally going to use that. But getting it water logged again was taking forever. After like 5 weeks in water it was still floating. So I decided to get the hornwood. I like the look a bit better anyway and it all sank right away. And of course as soon as I got the hornwood all the manzanita got waterlogged. Oh well. I'll use it for my next tank maybe.

Bump:

Bump: short preview video of this tank
viwwo and viwwo like this.

post #10 of 273 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 03:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Some moss would look good on that wood :]------
post #11 of 273 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would really like to get Fissidens fontanus eventually but I decided to wait until the tank is more established and has gone through its possible early algae bloom. When I tried that moss in the past it was really susceptible to getting smothered in algae. I also kind of want to see if the Hygrophila pinnatifida that I have planted all through the center of the pieces of wood works out. I'll decide where to put moss based on how the Hygrophila fills in.

post #12 of 273 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 02:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hygro Pinnetifida was a pain for me. It did well in my shrimp tank with DIY C02, but then rotted away quickly in my 75 gallon high tech. Its really nice when it cooperates.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #13 of 273 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
Hygro Pinnetifida was a pain for me. It did well in my shrimp tank with DIY C02, but then rotted away quickly in my 75 gallon high tech. Its really nice when it cooperates.
Yes I have had awful luck with it myself. I think part of the problem was I always bought it from places that sent stems with emersed foliage and it never made the transition to being submerged. Would rot away and die before it even got its underwater leaves. This time I am trying TC plants that already have roots and underwater foliage. I am not using tap water either on this tank. Don't know if that will make a difference but it may for some plants. So far so good but it has only been a week.

I love the look of it so I really hope I can get it to work. Frustrating to see so many videos online of it looking beautiful. Even one in a low tech tank the other day.

post #14 of 273 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Fish arrived today.

20 x Hyphessobrycon elachys (reed tetra)
6 x Hyphessobrycon megalopterus (black phantom tetra)
8 x Otocinclus macrospilus

A bit concerned that the flow (277 gph) might be too much for them. I'll give it some time to see if they get more settled in but may want to switch from the spraybar to a just a regular pipe output that maybe can be directed a different direction.

New Fish for the 40g by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr
Greggz, Greggz, Williak and 3 others like this.

post #15 of 273 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 01:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wow that tank is looking great man. The angles of the wood are perfect.

By the way your front yard is the tits. I'd love to have mine landscaped like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mbkemp and mbkemp like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode