100 Gallon Corydoras Community (formerly 40 Breeder High Tech) - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 486Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 372 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 01:33 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipfinger View Post
I have Skim350's on all my tanks (3) and I've never had a issue with them.
The only issue I have with the 350 is the suction cups. Eventually like all suction cups they lose their ability to stick but Eheim does not sell replacement cups so I had to jimmy rig another suction cup to make it work. Otherwise it works great but is another thing in your tank.
@Triport
Did you try to get it going in a bucket of water, maybe take the sponge filter out to just get it going. Perhaps an air lock or something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 372 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yeah I took it all apart. Impeller does this sort of flipping around and jiggling thing and makes a grinding noise. Going back via Amazon tomorrow. I think I will try to just have them send me a replacement and if the next one doesn't work either I'll ask for a refund.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #33 of 372 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Harumph. This is annoying. The other items that weren't working I was able to have UPS just pick the return packages up at my front door. For this Eheim skim350 they are making me bring it to a UPS store to return. I guess because of the vendor it came from. As a result of this inconvenience I think I will not order another one from them and will just figure something else out.

post #34 of 372 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 01:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triport View Post
Harumph. This is annoying. The other items that weren't working I was able to have UPS just pick the return packages up at my front door. For this Eheim skim350 they are making me bring it to a UPS store to return. I guess because of the vendor it came from. As a result of this inconvenience I think I will not order another one from them and will just figure something else out.
Is the magnet loose from the impeller? The last one I got, I had that issue right out of the box. I superglued the magnet to the impeller and all is well and been operating fine for months.

Just a noob

post #35 of 372 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I dunno. The box is all packed up and going to the UPS store tomorrow.

post #36 of 372 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ordered a stainless steel lily pipe set with a skimmer built in. Going to set it up with a spare Eheim Ecco filter I had lying around. I think it will look nicer than the Ehim skimmer or any of the other brands. Hopefully it will work!

Overall really happy with the state of growth on my tissue cultured plants. Growth seems good so far and particularly in stem plants they just seem a lot more natural looking and are adapting a lot better than the usual emersed growth stems I have purchased in the past.

That said the P. helferi did melt but there is new growth coming up so I am hopeful. One Ranunculus inundatus also fell apart and melted but the rest look OK so far. Fingers crossed it was just a fluke. No algae so far but I am always on the look out. From experience it always sort of just explodes one day.

Aerial views 10 days after my initial photos show how much fuller and greener the plants look. I am especially happy with how great Staurogyne repens and Hygrophila pinnatifida look since these are plants I have never had luck with in the past when I bought them as individual stems. They are two of my favorite aquatic plants and it would be nice to be able to grow them. The Cryptocoryne 'Flamingo' has some beautiful new pale pink leaves coming in.

Aerial view of left side by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

Aerial view of right side by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr
dru, dru, lisals and 1 others like this.

post #37 of 372 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Did 50% water change today with my RO water mix. Last night I dropped in an algae wafer because I was a bit worried that the Otos wouldn't have enough to eat. This morning I found the remains of it in one of the clumps of Staurogyne repens and the plant was half melted. Oops. Won't be doing that again. Those Otos are on their own.

post #38 of 372 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 11:24 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triport View Post
Did 50% water change today with my RO water mix. Last night I dropped in an algae wafer because I was a bit worried that the Otos wouldn't have enough to eat. This morning I found the remains of it in one of the clumps of Staurogyne repens and the plant was half melted. Oops. Won't be doing that again. Those Otos are on their own.

Use a thin slice of zucchini held to the substrate with a wooden skewer or plastic fork instead- great way to catch any snails, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...
post #39 of 372 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Fortunately no snails because the plants were all TC. But that reminds me that I have some dried kelp for my bushy nose pleco (and strangely enough my Corydoras love it too).

post #40 of 372 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Got my Jardli Stainless Steel Lily Pipe with Surface Skimmer today. Was worried that they were more for a rimless tank and wouldn't work but it worked out fine. The plastic pipe holders fit perfectly onto the rim of my tank and rest on the ledge. I hooked it up to a spare Eheim Ecco because I didn't want to mess with my Eheim Pro's tubing if it turned out it wasn't going to work. And a little extra filtration never hurt anyone.

It isn't perfectly silent. There is a bit of a suction noise that can be dealt with by modifying the amount of water that comes in through the in tank strainer vs. the surface skimmer. You can tweak it so it is mostly quiet but there does seem to be a bit of suction noise from time to time. I don't mind because the tank is in my fish room and not a bedroom or other room in the house.

Within 3 minutes the surface was beautifully clear. The stainless steel hardware is attractive. It does stick out more into the tank than a regular pipe but it doesn't bother me and should be concealed by plants soon enough.

Before and after pics.

Surface Scum Removal by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr
ipkiss, ipkiss, benshrimp and 3 others like this.

post #41 of 372 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

View of the JARDLI surface skimmer from the top.

JARDLI stainless steel surface skimmer from above by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

post #42 of 372 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 06:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Thanks for the review on the stainless hardware! You got me into thinking of getting a set of them. I'm real annoyed that the outflow is not adjustable though. Got me thinking that I'll need to cut/saw it.

Oh, and great job on the crypt flamingo you have. Congrats on the pink leaves. I dunno what it is that I've got even though it was sold to me as crypt flamingo. Whilst its got its own charm, it sure hasn't gotten bright pink like yours yet!

Triport and Triport like this.

post #43 of 372 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yeah if you are not seeing pink leaves I don't think it is Flamingo. I wouldn't even say it is a matter of light or other conditions because I had a few extra bits that I planted in my low tech quarantine tank and another in one of my little Betta tanks and they are just starting to get the pink leaves as well.

New pink growth on Cryptocoryne 'Flamingo' by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr
ipkiss and ipkiss like this.

post #44 of 372 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 08:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Jealous! Congrats! Who was your supplier if you don't mind me asking.

post #45 of 372 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

This one I got tissue culture from Buceplant. Aquarium Plants Factory and ADA Aqua Forest Aquarium in SF were my other suppliers of tc plants.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode