100 Gallon Corydoras Community (formerly 40 Breeder High Tech) - Page 25 - The Planted Tank Forum
 485Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #361 of 371 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 05:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ererer View Post
Triport, what are the parameters you keep this tank at?

I have a heavily planted low tech 55g community tank with RCS, three lined corys, and cardinal tetras. Plants are thriving (except the java moss, which is doing okay but has hair algae). The tetras seem to be doing fine, the RCS are breeding like crazy, but the corys seem to be doing okay but not thriving, and I've lost a few over the last few months. I have hard water (7 dkh) with a ph of 7.4. I'm wondering if the water is too hard and the ph too high for these guys? They are tank bred, but I'm not sure what the parameters they were raised in were.

I have the false juliies or 3 line corys and my water parameters are 4KH, 6GH (using remineralizer to bring it up from 1GH) and degassed 8PH. Ive gone from 6 to 9 cories without buying any more and have noticed 3 babies of various sizes in the last couple of weeks. Just my experience.

@Triport I want a bigger tank so I can get more cories. Awesome little fish.
Triport and ererer like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 371 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 01:57 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triport View Post
When I remineralize it I try to set it at 6.5. I am not sure how much it changes over the course of the day. I don't think I have any really accurate pH test kits. I have one of those battery operated ones but I haven't calibrated it in a while.
Thanks! So do you use RO water then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
I have the false juliies or 3 line corys and my water parameters are 4KH, 6GH (using remineralizer to bring it up from 1GH) and degassed 8PH. Ive gone from 6 to 9 cories without buying any more and have noticed 3 babies of various sizes in the last couple of weeks. Just my experience.
Baby corys, now that would be exciting! Is there a difference between degassed ph and ph? Or am I reading your post correctly that your ph is 8?

5.5g RCS tank, 10g Betta tank

Build threads:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #363 of 371 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 02:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Baby corys, now that would be exciting! Is there a difference between degassed ph and ph? Or am I reading your post correctly that your ph is 8?
Out of the faucet the well water I have reads about 6ph, once the water has a chance to gas off (sit for a couple of days) the ph reads about 8. We have some odd water up here in the Western WA area. It works ok though and is pretty easy to remineralize. I know the PH is at the upper specs for alot of things but chasing PH is a losing game IMHO, or should I say a real pain.

Bump:
Quote:
Out of the faucet the well water I have reads about 6ph, once the water has a chance to gas off (sit for a couple of days) the ph reads about 8. We have some odd water up here in the Western WA area. It works ok though and is pretty easy to remineralize. I know the PH is at the upper specs for alot of things but chasing PH is a losing game IMHO, or should I say a real pain.
ererer likes this.

post #364 of 371 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I use RO water for my tanks because my well water has 23 ppm nitrates. The RO lowers it to about 7 ppm nitrate. Not ideal and eventually I wanted to get RODI and get a better storage tank system but I don't have the money at the moment to deal with that.

It seems like my nitrates are kind of high in this tank. I ordered a new API nitrate test kit as the old one I have doesn't seem to be working. Lost a female S. barbatus to red blotch disease which I believe comes from water quality issues. The rest of the fish look OK but she was fine and then one day she wasn't so I did a 40 gallon water change the other day and will do another one maybe today or tomorrow. Also lost a Farlowella but I am assuming it was one that got stuck in the screening of my overflow for the sump. Farlwellas are really the dumbest fish in the world. Don't have them in any tank with a sump or power heads they will kill themselves. I am down to 3 now it seems.
ererer likes this.

post #365 of 371 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I've been wanting to get video of this tank with the Vallisneria flowing just so. Finally got some as the lights were dimming last night.

Greggz, doug105!, evil8 and 1 others like this.

post #366 of 371 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

New fish for the 100 gallon have been in quarantine for about 6 weeks so it was finally time to move them to the main display tank.

30 Paracheirodon axelrodi (cardinal tetra)
20 Paracheirodon simulans (green neon)
6 Corydoras elegans
5 Corydoras trilineatus
3 Corydoras sterbai
3 Corydoras CW010 gold laser

C. elegans and C. trilineatus are new to this tank. C. sterbai and C. CW010 were added to increase existing numbers. There also were about 5 existing cardinal tetras and 2 existing green neons all about 4+ years old. You can see how much bigger they are than the new young fish. Right now the cardinals and green neons are so small it is difficult to tell them apart but at a few points of the video you can see a slight difference. It will be more distinct as they reach adulthood. The red band on cardinals goes all the way to their head and is wider and brighter and the blue band of the green neons is wider and at certain angles reflects green instead of blue.

Definitely recommend quarantining all fish but it is especially important for cardinal tetras. Over the many years I have kept fish I have had a number of incidents were new cardinal tetras brought a plague that wiped out half my tank. Fortunately this purchase was a success and as far as I can tell (I didn't count all 50 new tetras) I don't think I lost any.

DBridges, doug105! and evil8 like this.

post #367 of 371 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Just a pic of the 100 gallon now. It has been a while since I have posted an update.

100 gallon planted aquarium by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

post #368 of 371 (permalink) Old 08-07-2020, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I'm very happy with the 100 gallon these days. I've moved my office computer next to it and get to enjoy the tetras and Corydoras and the Vallisneria "blowing" in the wake of the power head.

100 Gallon Aquarium by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

Speaking of Vallisneria I did a water change yesterday and decided to measure how long the leaves of the Vallisneria spiralis 'Leopard' can get. One of the was 5'10" tall. Almost as tall as me. Definitely recommend keeping these in as tall and long an aquarium as possible. I also have to remove extra runners of the Vallisneria and some of the Crypts every time I do a water change or they will take over the tank.

5'10" leaf of Vallisneria spiralis 'Leopard' by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

5'10" leaf of Vallisneria spiralis 'Leopard' by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

And finally a short video of this tank at night when the blue lights come on.

post #369 of 371 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

My 100 gallon aquarium with the cabinet doors open so you can see the hardware below.

post #370 of 371 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 08:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
I really like the look of your tank. That Leopard Val is spectacular. Well done!
Triport likes this.

[
post #371 of 371 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 01:13 PM
Planted Member

That Val really is beautiful, flowing in the current like that. Love how the Cardinals/Neons add a pop of color.
Triport likes this.

75 gallon planted in progress Radion XR15FW x 2 w/Reeflink Oase Biomaster 600

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode