100 Gallon Corydoras Community (formerly 40 Breeder High Tech) - Page 24 - The Planted Tank Forum
 437Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #346 of 354 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Good news! Since I added the 6 baby S. barbatus to the tank the most I have ever seen out in the open was 4. I knew there was a chance the other two were just hiding but over time I started thinking that really there were only 4 still living. Just was watching the fish eat now and saw 5 all out in the open at once. So there is a chance that all 6 are still alive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #347 of 354 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Cryptocoryne usteriana 'Green' to replace my C. spiralis which never really recovered from the move. The C. usteriana 'Red' in my 46 bowfront is probably my favorite plant so I think this is going to be great in such a prominent spot in the 100 gallon.

Cryptocoryne usteriana 'Green' (in back behind Echinodorus 'Hadi Red Pearl&#x27 by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

post #348 of 354 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 07:07 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triport View Post
Cryptocoryne usteriana 'Green' to replace my C. spiralis which never really recovered from the move. The C. usteriana 'Red' in my 46 bowfront is probably my favorite plant so I think this is going to be great in such a prominent spot in the 100 gallon.

Cryptocoryne usteriana 'Green' (in back behind Echinodorus 'Hadi Red Pearl&#x27 by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

That Crypt looks really nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Triport likes this.

post #349 of 354 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Aerial view of the 100 gallon. The Crypts, swords, and Vallisneria are popping off. Going to hook up a CO2 reactor to this tank next week so it should be fun to see how that helps things.

100 gallon Corydoras aquarium from above by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

Closer look at the left side from above.

100 gallon left side from above by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

Closer look at the right side from above.

100 gallon right side from above by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

post #350 of 354 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I added a GLA CO2 Reactor to the 100 gallon since I have been so happy with the one on my 120. I have been wanting CO2 for this tank ever since I set it up but wasn't sure how I wanted to go about it. In the end I went with adding the reactor with an Eheim Classic 600/2217. My sump isn't really large enough to add extra equipment to it and I also feel like the extra canister may help suck up some of the floating debris that doesn't make it to the top where my skimmer is.

Was a bit of a pain to set this one up. I tried to add an inline heater as well and in the end I realized that just wasn't feasible. Also I tried filling the reactor up with water before setting it up and learned (due to some sort of physics or maths or something that I don't really understand) the reactor must be empty when you set it up or the filter will not be able to prime and get going. So lots of crawling about and cursing and messing with hoses but I finally got it going. We'll see how the CO2 improves the life of the plants (which have been doing fine without but a little boost is never a bad thing).

Also placed an order with The Wet Spot for some more cardinals and green neons for this tank and a few more Corydoras now that I have quarantine tanks to spare.

GLA CO2 Reactor added to my 100 gallon by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr
ipkiss likes this.

post #351 of 354 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 11:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
yea, saw your pic from the other thread and was gonna say, that looks like a pretty big gas pocket in that reactor. was wondering if that pic is in the course of the day or only during startup

surprised, that the pressure lock from that hasnt prevented you from starting the flow if starting and wondering if your dissolution is any good if the pic was taken during the course of operation.

post #352 of 354 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkiss View Post
yea, saw your pic from the other thread and was gonna say, that looks like a pretty big gas pocket in that reactor. was wondering if that pic is in the course of the day or only during startup

surprised, that the pressure lock from that hasnt prevented you from starting the flow if starting and wondering if your dissolution is any good if the pic was taken during the course of operation.
It was when I just started it. Overnight it filled up and is completely silent now with no air bubbles or pocket.

Here is the one on my 120 completely filled with water.

Under the hood of the 120 gallon by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

And here is the 120 when it first started so you can see how loud it is initially. For whatever reason it fills rather slowly but once it fills it is totally silent. Makes sense as that was my experience with the DIY one I used in the past (which actually was worse because instead of a whirlpool noise it made a knocking sound).

ipkiss likes this.

post #353 of 354 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Decided to buy some Amazon swords recently for my 100 gallon because I just wanted something fairly large and simple to fill up space. There are so many different species and cultivars of Echinodorus available and it is surprisingly difficult to find photos or video or any information about many of them.

Video in particular is hard to come by for most Echinodorus. I guess maybe they are considered more of a beginners simple plant and not as refined as stem plants? Or maybe many of them are just too big and coarse and people don't have room for them. I settled on Echiodorus 'Red Rubin' because it seems to be one of the more common ones and I was able to get images and some info about it. I also don't think it is going to get too gigantic and unmanageable.

What I didn't expect was how beautiful it is. The leaves don't even look real to me. They kind of look like printed pieces of fabric gently blowing in the breeze in my tank.

Echinodorus 'Red Rubin' (Amazon sword) by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr
Greggz, Matt69 and ererer like this.

post #354 of 354 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Another feeding time video in the 100 gallon. How many species can you count? Two of the baby Scleromystax barbatus make an appearance alongside their mother. The father pops in at one point as well. Some of the babies are getting quite big now at 3 months old (there are one or two runty ones though).

ererer likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode