100 Gallon Corydoras Community (formerly 40 Breeder High Tech) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 486Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 372 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks! Of course I only show it from the nice angles. It is definitely a work in progress!

Fish seem to be doing well. Now that they have been in the tank for 24 hours they are swimming around more and not letting the flow push them to one corner. So I think I may leave it alone for now.

This afternoon I lowered the photoperiod by about an hour and a half and lowered the intensity of the Current LED lights by 50% across all the spectrums. Does anyone know how I should go about raising it? Wait for the plants to fill in more? Raise it by 10% weekly or something? So far no algae growth of note but I figured I would get in front of it and try to keep it to a minimum.
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 372 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 12:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A couple of questions...

1. How do you like the Nilo Rex Grigg? I hate diy so I was thinking of buying one.

2. What do you think of your Plus Pro's? I have an 18x18x18 tank with two of them, which is in effect similar to you, and I am finding that I am raising the intensity weekly. I started at 60% on all channels for both and my stems along the back are struggling. I am up to 70% with the back strip and they aren't doing that much better.

Nice tank btw. I dig the sand.
post #18 of 372 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I love the NilocG Rex Grigg. I was looking into making one myself and there were so many broken links and unclear directions on how to make them. I thought for sure there must be one I could buy somewhere and finally I found his site. I was a little confused about some aspects but he always responded to my emails and questions quickly. It was suuuuuper noisy the first day or two and I was like "Oh no what have I done? This is worse than fizzy bubbles!" but he said it was just air trapped inside and it would go away and sure enough it did. There is a small knocking noise sometimes when the Co2 is running that I probably could get rid of if I turned the unit upside down or jiggled it a bit but I have it bolted in my cabinet so not worth the trouble. It isn't bad and in fact I don't remember hearing it today so it might be gone. Definitely thinking of getting them for all my high tech tanks. Just not having to clean/replace the diffusers regularly makes it amazing and I can't think why this isn't something that big companies are making.

The Plus Pro's were super expensive but so far I like them. But really it is way too soon for me to be sure I am happy with them. Love the controller (even though a bit confusing setting the timer and light intensity) and love the look. I need a few months before I know if I am happy with the plant growth. So far no algae problems yet so that is good. Love that they can be dimmed and definitely love the look compared to my old BML lights.

post #19 of 372 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 12:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triport View Post
Thanks! Of course I only show it from the nice angles. It is definitely a work in progress!

Fish seem to be doing well. Now that they have been in the tank for 24 hours they are swimming around more and not letting the flow push them to one corner. So I think I may leave it alone for now.

This afternoon I lowered the photoperiod by about an hour and a half and lowered the intensity of the Current LED lights by 50% across all the spectrums. Does anyone know how I should go about raising it? Wait for the plants to fill in more? Raise it by 10% weekly or something? So far no algae growth of note but I figured I would get in front of it and try to keep it to a minimum.
Until you get plant mass where you want it, it will be a guessing game. If you give it too much light it will take a week to see the algae.. and even then it's dependant on C02 and fertilizer dosing. As long as plants aren't reaching I would stay more on the low end. I wouldn't increase lighting without a commensurate increase in plant mass. Maybe every couple weeks go up 10%? I have C02 coming on at 7am - 5pm and lights from 830 to 5pm. I had to cut it back this week.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #20 of 372 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yeah I was kind of figuring I would wait a week and see what the growth looks like. They are growing I can see that much but obviously just a little bit. And of course the Pogostemon helferi is melting. Because of course it is. But everything else looks great so far.
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

post #21 of 372 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 12:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Downoi, for me, was very temperamental. I could only grow it in shrimp tanks and it was a set it and forget it plant. After a couple months it started growing like crazy and splitting off crowns everywhere. I'm not sure if that one can be grown emersed, but I would make sure the plants you purchase are fully submerged growth. I've even had Buce that was emersed fail to transition to submerged after months of being in the tank.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #22 of 372 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

All the plants were tissue cultured. I am just going to leave it alone and hope it will be like Cryptocoryne and regrow. There do seem to be some living bits amongst all the melted leaves.

post #23 of 372 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 03:14 AM
Planted Member

My Fissidens Fontanus is so dark and I don't know what is up. I may be cutting it to much and taking away the new - lighter - growth. I told myself I wont cut it for a month...
post #24 of 372 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I am not even going to try it until I am certain I have any early algae problems under control. But it is my favorite moss. I definitely want some on the wood eventually.

post #25 of 372 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Video

Here is a video taken the other day of the new fish.

So far everything is going well with this tank.No algae, plants are pushing up growth, fish are doing well. May turn up the lights by 10%.

Bump: I can sort of see the appeal now of just a focus on plants with just a simple stocking of one or two types of fish that is so common on videos of scapes. It is very unlikely I will stick with it myself but it is nice for now. Already considering a school of ember tetras and pencilfish.

Last edited by Triport; 12-18-2017 at 11:18 AM. Reason: fixing Youtube link
post #26 of 372 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 05:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)
Nice start and nice video! What kinda of paint/film did you use for your background? It might be due to the lighting, but I really like the look of it contrasted with the sand. It's like a very dark, dark blue almost.
post #27 of 372 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

It is just black acrylic paint bought from an art supply store. Takes about 3 or 4 coats but dries pretty fast. I have used spray paint in the past but I hate masking the tank off so I just use acrylic paint now. Do all my big tanks with it.
CobraGuppy and CobraGuppy like this.

post #28 of 372 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Close up video of the fish eating a sinking wafer I dropped in.

Raised the light level 10% up to 60% today. A lot of the stem plants are putting on growth so I think it was the right move but I'll keep an eye out for any algae growth.

I can't get over how good all the plants look. My first attempts at high tech planted tanks I already had algae explosions and rotting plants at this point. So I feel like I am least learning from past mistakes. And I am thrilled with tissue culture plants.

Last edited by Triport; 12-18-2017 at 11:16 AM. Reason: trying to fix youtube link
post #29 of 372 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Surface scum is pretty bad so I bought an Eheim Skim350. But of course there is something wrong with the motor or impeller and it doesn't work. Getting fed up with mechanical purchases not working. I am at the point where I automatically save all of my Amazon boxes assuming that I am going to have to send something back.

Any other brands to recommend or should I just get a replacement and hope for better luck?

post #30 of 372 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 12:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triport View Post
Surface scum is pretty bad so I bought an Eheim Skim350. But of course there is something wrong with the motor or impeller and it doesn't work. Getting fed up with mechanical purchases not working. I am at the point where I automatically save all of my Amazon boxes assuming that I am going to have to send something back.

Any other brands to recommend or should I just get a replacement and hope for better luck?
I have Skim350's on all my tanks (3) and I've never had a issue with them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode