2.5 gal Nano Nightstand Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
2.5 gal Nano Nightstand Tank

After hurricane Irma hit, my tanks weren't doing to hot (no power for 9 days). I decided to break down my 10 and 20 gal tanks, but I replaced them with a new 2.5 gallon tank for my nightstand. I saw a thread a little while ago where the person used sponge as a substrate to make a moss carpet, I will link it if I can find it later. I thought this was a pretty cool idea so I tried it for myself.

The Setup

Tank: 2.5 gallon Aqueon

Light: Finnex Stingray 12" (super cute)

Filter: AZOO Mignon Filter 60

CO2: I have a mini Fluval Pressurized CO2 kit but I'm not sure if I will use it yet

Substrate: Some coarse black sponge for the moss
Black Nat Geo sand with a root tab for the planted section

Flora: Flame moss carpet
Cryptocoryne beckettii
More rooted plants in the future but haven't decided what yet (suggestions welcome)

Fauna: I was thinking some CPD's and some kind of neos

Now on to the photos

I used some cheap black sponge that I cut to the size of the tank. It is a tight fit so I wont have to worry about it floating up.

I cut out a small square in the back of the sponge so I would be able to put some of the sand in for the crypt. I used braided fishing line and a needle to hold the moss down. I essentially made long rows of the fishing line, about .5" apart, along the whole length of the sponge.

Getting the crypts ready. Only $6 at Petco.

Crypts planted, you can really see the fishing line in this picture.

And now some shots after flooding

Ruler for scale

I like tanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 04:35 AM
Banned

Pretty interesting approach. Maybe cleaning the moss would be a little more difficult. However I wonder how this approach would work to breed egg scatters...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

On hiatus till later this year
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 12:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Cool idea! In that size tank the Becketti might get too big. I do get sizes mixed up in some of them though. Are you wanting them to reach the surface? Lucens stays smaller and bushier in my tanks. It's deceiving when they are in their emersed form like that. They look nothing like that once they transition. I've got some that are maybe 4-5" tall and tightly planted in one tank and others that have 7-8" leaves and only like 4 leaves in another tank. Both high tech. I much prefer Lutea and Lucens for the dense tight cohesive look.

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 02:02 PM
Planted Member

Interesting idea! Definitely think it looks great to start!

Just an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukydaf View Post
Pretty interesting approach. Maybe cleaning the moss would be a little more difficult. However I wonder how this approach would work to breed egg scatters...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
I don't see how the cleaning the moss will be more difficult, it's just attached to sponge without any substrate. A gravel vac should clean it just fine. And I like your point about egg scatters, there are plenty of small areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
Cool idea! In that size tank the Becketti might get too big. I do get sizes mixed up in some of them though. Are you wanting them to reach the surface? Lucens stays smaller and bushier in my tanks. It's deceiving when they are in their emersed form like that. They look nothing like that once they transition. I've got some that are maybe 4-5" tall and tightly planted in one tank and others that have 7-8" leaves and only like 4 leaves in another tank. Both high tech. I much prefer Lutea and Lucens for the dense tight cohesive look.
Yeah, I knew the Beckettii would be large but I plan on keeping it trimmed. I could always move it to a different tank it I need too. I might add some AR mini next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geektom View Post
Interesting idea! Definitely think it looks great to start!
Thanks! It was fun to set up!

I like tanks.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Added some CPD's, I'm hoping they'll enjoy breeding as they grow up along with the moss carpet.
https://gfycat.com/HandsomeAncientIslandcanary

I like tanks.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quick update.

The moss is growing in nicely and I added two little AR mini trimmings. Dealing with a hair algae outbreak at the moment. Excel dosing hasn't helped, lowered the photo period hopefully that does the trick.

Also I found the thread that I stole the idea from https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...rcs-haven.html

I like tanks.

Last edited by caseym; 10-13-2017 at 08:17 PM. Reason: .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode