After hurricane Irma hit, my tanks weren't doing to hot (no power for 9 days). I decided to break down my 10 and 20 gal tanks, but I replaced them with a new 2.5 gallon tank for my nightstand. I saw a thread a little while ago where the person used sponge as a substrate to make a moss carpet, I will link it if I can find it later. I thought this was a pretty cool idea so I tried it for myself.
Tank: 2.5 gallon Aqueon
Light: Finnex Stingray 12" (super cute)
Filter: AZOO Mignon Filter 60
CO2: I have a mini Fluval Pressurized CO2 kit but I'm not sure if I will use it yet
Substrate: Some coarse black sponge for the moss
Black Nat Geo sand with a root tab for the planted section
Flora: Flame moss carpet
More rooted plants in the future but haven't decided what yet (suggestions welcome)
Fauna: I was thinking some CPD's and some kind of neos
Now on to the photos
I used some cheap black sponge that I cut to the size of the tank. It is a tight fit so I wont have to worry about it floating up.
I cut out a small square in the back of the sponge so I would be able to put some of the sand in for the crypt. I used braided fishing line and a needle to hold the moss down. I essentially made long rows of the fishing line, about .5" apart, along the whole length of the sponge.
Getting the crypts ready. Only $6 at Petco.
Crypts planted, you can really see the fishing line in this picture.
And now some shots after flooding
Ruler for scale