80L corner tank - (first planted tank) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
80L corner tank - (first planted tank)

Hi all, thought I would start a journal here as I have been lurking for a while trying to soak in as much information as I can

I recently started out with the hobby and bought an 80L Corner tank on impulse and not really doing any research into planted tanks prior. The tank is an all in one type, with the lighting and filter housed in the hood. The tank came with only 22w of lighting and after doing some reseach that I should have done sooner realised this just wasn't enough. I had to make a few cuts and modifications inside the hood to get single 55w power compact tube (duel 6500 & 10000k) and ballast fitted which seems to be ok.

I also decided to use a canister filter (Eheim 2213) and not use the filter housed in the hood as the powerhead and intake tube took up too much space and looked a little intrusive. So I made some modifications in that area to fit in some moon lights, and there is some room for additional lighting if required.
I also gave the back / sides of the tank a coat with some black spray paint for the background.

I decided to go with DIY C02 (yeast etc) and ADA aquasoil for the substrate. I went hiking in my local area and found some nice driftwood and suitable rocks which I treated / soaked for a month. Below is my initial hardscape setup prior to filling with water.

When I was happy with the setup I got planting! I put in (from memory) HC, Dwarf Hair Grass, Lilaeopsis, Ludwigia, Anubias nana petite, Anubias bateri, Amazon Swords, java moss, java ferns and some other fern type plant I dont know the name of. Below are some pics of the tank just after filling after planting.

After the initial setup the tank was going ok, I was monitoring the water and hoping the cycle wouldn't take too long. I was getting pretty big ammonia spikes and after doing a little reading worked out the soil will leech for a while and this is normal. I kept up with water changes but was having some issues. The ludwigia pretty much melted away, and there was not much sign of plant growth and some snails that hitchhiked on some plants had a population explosion, I'm assuming due to plenty of rotting plant matter for food.
The HC then started to melt and there seemed to be a lot of particles in the water that the filter just couldnt keep up with.
The filter is graded for an 80 to 250L aquarium but it just wasn't cutting it so I decided to spend a little more money and upgraded to the Eheim 2215. I also decided to keep the 2213 going as well for some extra flow.. maybe an overkill im not sure, but it seems hard to get a good flow in a corner tank, not that I would know as it's the only tank I have :P

At this stage I ripped out the plants that weren't doing that great - ludwigia, amazon swords, anubias bateri and the java moss and replaced them with some rotala green, wisteria, fissidens and some xmas moss.
I also spent a little more and upgraded to pressurized c02 which seems to be making a good difference. The parts of HC that survived have started to carpet along with the dwarf hair grass. The java ferns has been having some good growth and I have managed to propigate a few new little ones.
I had some initial problems with some brown algae that the snails seemed to control. I don't mind the snails, but there are just too many so I plan to get a few Dwarf Loach (Sidthimunki) to help with population control. I am also getting a little green spotty algae on the glass, hopefully some oto's will fix that also. I am dosing a little bit with excel and flourish.
The tank hasn't quite cycled yet, the ammonia has dropped right down and the nitrites have spiked.. so hopefully it's doing the right thing..

Below are some pics of the tank currently.. sorry about the crappy photo's..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 04:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
I'm impressed! This is your first planted tank? Very nice placement of the rocks and wood. It looks great! What kind of fish are you planning to keep in it?
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 04:41 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Wow man, lurk less! Great arrangement and equipment, any pictures of previous tanks?

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWaters View Post
I'm impressed! This is your first planted tank? Very nice placement of the rocks and wood. It looks great! What kind of fish are you planning to keep in it?
Yup its my first planted tank.. well, first tank of any kind really..
When I was 8 years old or so I saved my pocket money for what seemed years and tried a tropical fish tank, of course all the fish died within a week.. I was devastated haha.. as an 8 year old my income (and understanding) just wasn't enough. So fast forward 22 years and I decided to give it another go

For livestock I'm thinking 3 x Dwarf Loach (Sidthimunki), 3 x oto's, a few red cherry shrimp and some small tetras, not sure on which type yet, any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10gallonsoffury View Post
Wow man, lurk less! Great arrangement and equipment, any pictures of previous tanks?
No previous tanks, only this one
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 05:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (114/100%)
I have to echo the other comments for this being your first tank. The stone and wood placement is great. Some folks just have that knack.
Now its just a matter of learning to grow the plants around the nice hard scape. Well done and great start!

Are you dosing any NPK? If not you should look into it for the near future. As the aquasoil settles in you'll probably want to at least start adding in some nitrates and potassium. That wisteria is going to do a good job of stripping nitrates out of the water column so be sure it doesn't bottom out too much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cheers for the comments guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJG View Post
Now its just a matter of learning to grow the plants around the nice hard scape. Well done and great start!

Are you dosing any NPK?
Yeah I guess thats the hardest part! At the moment im just dosing with some seachem flourish, currently reading into EI Dosing.. is a little confusing, and I need to work out where I can grab some dry ferts in Australia...

Quick question about my cycle.. I initially had a pretty high spike of ammonia which lasted for almost 2 weeks, this has dropped down to about 0.0 or 0.25, can be hard to read the colour sometimes, I guess its settled somewhere inbetween, and the aquasoil may be still leeching a little maybe?
When the ammonia dropped my nitrites spiked and has been reading 5.0 ppm for over 2 weeks now, and im guessing its probably above 5.0 ppm.. and it's yet to drop, should I be concerned with this? Can I do anything to help with the nitrite eating bacteria? I initially used seachem stability in the beginning and followed it's directions, and now only use a little with a water change.

ok, 1 more question.. :P

The new growth on the wisteria, rotala and anubias seems to be of a paler green colour, is this normal or is this be due to a lack of nutriants? Just took a reading of the nitrates which is sitting at 10ppm...

Cheers all
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (114/100%)
The bright green new growth is going to be normal on those plants. New growth on the ferns will be transparent tips.

As far as the cycle goes... that seems odd. Maybe the bacteria colony just hasn't quite established itself totally yet. You have 10ppm of nitrates which means something is happening. Are you still doing the multiple large weekly water changes for the aquasoil? Now that the ammonia has calmed down a bit you could maybe cut those out and let the cycle finish.

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ahh so normal growth thats cool..

re: cycle..

Was just thinking about it and I assume when I added the new filter it may have slowed things down a bit maybe? ..even though I did use the exhisting media?
I will slow down with water changes now and hopefully that helps. Will I need to add any ammonia source to keep things going along at all.. is snail waste enough or do I not worry about it?

cheers
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Algae Grower

That is a beautiful aquarium. Excellent job!
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just a quick update..

The tank finally finished cycling about a week ago and I finally added some livestock

Ended up going with some good ol neon tetras to start with, and will have some oto's and red cherry shrimp in the next few days..
The wisteria has been growing really fast and have had to trim a few times already, the rotala sp green is going well also. The HC has continued to spread, but the hair grass looks like it will take it over.. oh well! This week I have started with dry ferts (NPK) and will be trying out EI..

Anyways.. some update pics below..

..and my lil friends :P

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Looking really great. Excited to see where this one goes in the next month or so.

[
]
15 harlequin rasboras, 4 roseline sharks, 1 neon blue dwarf gourami, 3 clown loach, 1 coolie loach, 12 neon tetras, 1 bristlenose pleco, 3 amano shrimp, 8 ghost shrimp, 2 pearl gouramis, 3 siamnesis
[
]
2 green terror cichlids, 1 electric blue jack dempsy
[
]
N+1 red cherry shrimp
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Man that's amazing!

I love the Tv look of that tank!

subscribed!
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Time for an update

I now have all the livestock in..

8 x nean tetras
3 x dwarf chain loaches
4 x ottos
2 x blue rams
5 x red cherry shrimp
15 x darwin algae shrimp

Just put in the 2 blue rams last night, they have been having a great time exploring their new home

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Really beautiful. Great job!

My 120 Gallon Shrimp Tank Rebuild finally started!!

New Journal:

Old Journal:

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #461
Two 2217s and 2215.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 07:11 PM
Pri
Planted Member

Beautiful tank. Great changes between the first posts and the last one. Keep it up...

My planted tank https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myTanks/2076-Pri.html
My Cichlid tank https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myTanks/2075-Pri.html
My DIY project Journal https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...y-project.html
My Betta Pico https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...nted-pico.html

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode