• 2 Post By Greggz
  • 2 Post By ProndFarms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
55 Gallon Planted Rainbow Tank

Hello all,
I've been in the process of working on a 55 gallon planted tank. I've been a saltwater reef tank guy since roughly 2009 and thought I'd try a rainbow planted tank to switch things up (I forgot I was a member here in 2012 ha). I had a spare 55 gallon sitting around, so why not.

55 gallon display tank
Equipment:
  • Beamswork DHL LED
  • Fluval 405 Canister Filter
  • Aquafuge 2 HOB Refugium (was used on a previous saltwater tank, but decided to use it as extra filtration and movement)
  • Aquatop 200w Submersible Heater
Planned Stocklist:
  • 3x millenium rainbow (1 male and 2 female on order)
  • 4x turquoise rainbow (currently have 2 males, will get 2 females in the future)
  • 8x praecox rainbow (currently have 4 males, will get 4 females in the future)
  • Misc. Plants (have some dwarf sag and Jungle Val on order to fill out the left side)

Pics soon, and any help is appreciated (any recommendation for bottom dwellers?)
Greggz and Greggz like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Heres a pic of the 55

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 11:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Only the males have the real good color. Check out Greggz journal on here. He stocks only males and they are stunning. No point in having females unless you want to try to breed them as they contribute nothing but Bio load. I have 2 Millenium, 2 Bosemani, and 2 Goyder River Rainbows in my 75 along with some other stock. All males. If you end up with a female it isn't the end of the world, but I would definately aim for all males. Check out the SNS section here. You.can get a tremendous selection and stock of plants for a fraction of what it would cost otherwise. It's always best to plant as heavy as possible from the start.
Do you plan to inject C02? If your on the fence about it I can tell you it's worth it's weight in gold if you want a lush successful planted tank. All of my tanks run C02 and lights are on timers. I dose my ferts and that's it other that occasionally pulling some to sell. I don't do the high maintenance stems so my tanks pretty much take care of themselves.
Wicked piece of driftwood. Is that all one piece?

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 02:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Always good to see another Rainbow tank on the board.

Looking forward to seeing where you go with it, and will follow along.
grandplanted and grandplanted like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---
---
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 02:35 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Rainbows in a planted tank....can't expect a better view. Have had my set up for a few months and enjoy every moment of it.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!!
grandplanted and grandplanted like this.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
Only the males have the real good color. Check out Greggz journal on here. He stocks only males and they are stunning. No point in having females unless you want to try to breed them as they contribute nothing but Bio load. I have 2 Millenium, 2 Bosemani, and 2 Goyder River Rainbows in my 75 along with some other stock. All males. If you end up with a female it isn't the end of the world, but I would definately aim for all males. Check out the SNS section here. You.can get a tremendous selection and stock of plants for a fraction of what it would cost otherwise. It's always best to plant as heavy as possible from the start.
Do you plan to inject C02? If your on the fence about it I can tell you it's worth it's weight in gold if you want a lush successful planted tank. All of my tanks run C02 and lights are on timers. I dose my ferts and that's it other that occasionally pulling some to sell. I don't do the high maintenance stems so my tanks pretty much take care of themselves.
I've been doing a lot of research and have found that the males are more vibrant. However, I've also read that if there are females present, the males have even better coloration. I don't plan to run c02 at this time, but maybe in the future. I should have some jungle val and drawf sag in tomorrow or the next day that should fill the left side pretty nicely. Yes, that is one big piece of driftwood!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 05:33 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
That is true just liek any other fish when there is females present they'll color up. Rainbows especially if you have females the males will color up and be very vibrantly colored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandplanted View Post
Quote:
I've been doing a lot of research and have found that the males are more vibrant. However, I've also read that if there are females present, the males have even better coloration. I don't plan to run c02 at this time, but maybe in the future. I should have some jungle val and drawf sag in tomorrow or the next day that should fill the left side pretty nicely. Yes, that is one big piece of driftwood!

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 11:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandplanted View Post
I've been doing a lot of research and have found that the males are more vibrant. However, I've also read that if there are females present, the males have even better coloration.
I can only comment on my personal experience from keeping Rainbows for decades.

I've kept mixed sex and all male tanks over the years. I've never noticed any difference in color. Right now I am keeping only males in my tank. Take a look at my journal to see lots of pictures of them.

IMO much more important is breeding. Good quality Bows will grow up into beautiful colorful adults. Over bred fish farm Bows often have much weaker colors when mature.

And I am not necessarily advocating all male tanks. I'm just saying it's what I like. I only have so much room available, and want to maximize the color display in the tank.

---
---
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 12:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Was observing my own 80 gal with six turquoise rainbows along with celebs rainbows and swordtails just yesterday.
The male turquoise nose and top of head area was bright orange/yellow as he was posing/posturing for one of but two females.
They are only bout three inches long at present, but is first time I noted the color change since purchasing them a few month's ago.
Most times,,they are all decidedly blue in color.
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 04:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
Was observing my own 80 gal with six turquoise rainbows along with celebs rainbows and swordtails just yesterday.
The male turquoise nose and top of head area was bright orange/yellow as he was posing/posturing for one of but two females.
They are only bout three inches long at present, but is first time I noted the color change since purchasing them a few month's ago.
Most times,,they are all decidedly blue in color.
It's really cool when they do that. I had turquoise males in another tank years ago that would do it each morning. My Millenium Rainbows do it each morning now... and there are no females of any rainbow species in the tank.. they show off to each other. Bright red bodies and then the yellow stripe down the nose looks spectacular. I think my Bosemani and Goyder River are still too immature. The Goyder Rivers have colored up considerably over the last few days though.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 05:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
It's really cool when they do that. I had turquoise males in another tank years ago that would do it each morning. My Millenium Rainbows do it each morning now... and there are no females of any rainbow species in the tank.. they show off to each other.
Yes no question that males will spar and flash with each other regardless if there are any females. Mine do it on a daily basis. Some species seem to spend the better part of the day displaying, and it looks like it must get exhausting. For most, it's more prevalent mornings and early evenings.

Interesting thing is that in most cases, they will only display to others of the same species. The Goyders spar with other Goyders, the Lacustris display to other Lacustris, etc. It really can be a site to behold when the really "turn on" all the colors, especially the bright stripe coming down the nose.
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

---
---
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 04:17 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Woot! Another Rainbow tank! Planning my own as we speak, will be following along on this one as well!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode