Nicoleah's 29 gallon planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By nicoleah

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nicoleah's 29 gallon planted tank

Hiya! I've been keeping fish (more on than off) since I was a kid but the last decade had been devoted solely to saltwater/reef tanks. This past June I downgraded from a 120 gallon SW set-up to a 60 gallon cube tank when I moved and found myself with a lot of extra equipment. I decided to set up my old 29 gallon tank as FW planted and it's been very rewarding. I love having the contrast between my 60 gallon cube reef and the little planted tank in the same room.

I was running two Radion XR30 Gen 3 Pros, plus two Vortech pumps in the 120, so the 29 has one of those LED lights (FW setting) and an MP10 (cranked WAY down.) Being a reef nerd, I also added a 10 gallon sump with Lifereef overflow box. Because I can and it was fun. haha I used flexible tubing and the return pump is a humble Cobalt MJ1200 with a gate valve. I love the simplicity of sumps to store unsightly filter socks/media, heaters, etc, plus I feel it makes WC less disturbing to the tank inhabitants. I was running an Aquaclear 50 before adding the sump and decided to place that onto the sump as well, to continue running carbon mainly. It makes a handy little filter media box. I'm considering adding a DIY wet/dry (more or less a couple of air stones and bio balls) if I feel it needs it but the tank is heavily planted.

I guess my tank would be considered "medium tech" due to the EcoTech equipment and overflow/sump but I am not running Co2. This may be a future upgrade but the plants (including my favorites, ludwigia repens and rotala indica) are growing like crazy with just some Flourish dosing.

Current inhabitants include a pair of Moscow Blue guppies (no babies yet), neon tetras, oto cats, scuds/amphipods (these greatly appeal to the reef keeper in me, microfauna is an essential part of SW tanks and I love how that line of thinking is extending into FW tanks as well ), and a variety of snails.

I'll post some old and current pics but it's kind of a jungle right now. I need to trim the stem plants badly. Yesterday (after a long period of procrastination) I unpotted the anubias "petite" and tied them to the driftwood. Anyone local (St. Louis) want some? I'm too lazy to mail things but I hate to throw them out.

- Nikki
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________
29 gallon planted started 06/25/17 - Radion XR30 Gen3 Pro - VorTech MP10 - 10 gallon sump with LifeReef overflow

I downgraded from a 120 gallon saltwater reef to a 60 gallon cube (nicoleah on RC) so I set up the 29 using
the extra LED light and pump (both are dialed WAY back!)

IG: nicoleah218
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Initial set up, June 2017

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Nikki
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________
29 gallon planted started 06/25/17 - Radion XR30 Gen3 Pro - VorTech MP10 - 10 gallon sump with LifeReef overflow

I downgraded from a 120 gallon saltwater reef to a 60 gallon cube (nicoleah on RC) so I set up the 29 using

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

07/08/17

- Nikki

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My cat Lyric helping me pick out driftwood.

- Nikki

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

- Nikki

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

- Nikki

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Bump:

Bump: https://youtu.be/kRP-M-aQX4Y

- Nikki

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

https://youtu.be/kRP-M-aQX4Y
livingf1t and livingf1t like this.

- Nikki

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 06:09 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Been a while since this was bumped, but I found it via Google search, so thought I would ask....how has the MP10 done for you? With it turned all the way down, does it seem to be OK in a 29?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolba View Post
Been a while since this was bumped, but I found it via Google search, so thought I would ask....how has the MP10 done for you? With it turned all the way down, does it seem to be OK in a 29?
I don't know why I'm just now seeing this, my apologies, and I imagine it's irrelevant at this point, but I love the MP10 on this tank! I have it on the lagoon setting at 25% with the foam guard over it. Over the two years it has grown a layer of java moss over it, so the neocaridina shrimp are always climbing all over it. It has a gentle enough flow my betta used to sit on top of it, too.

- Nikki

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My, how time flies! Not a great pic but Iím amazed at how much this tank has changed. Iíll be replacing this tank with a 72 bow front I got super cheap (yay!) after I reseal it (boo!) just to be safe, so itíll be a little while yet.

I think I need to thin my crypts!

- Nikki

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The 72 bow front has been resealed as of last Saturday - Woohoo! It was a total amateur job done myself with some direction from YT videos, so it's not pretty but it should hold. I'm excited to test it outdoors this weekend to be sure!

- Nikki

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode