10 Gallon Low Tech Iwagumi - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
10 Gallon Low Tech Iwagumi

This is my first planted tank and first time keeping any kind of tank in about 15 years. Stumbled across some interesting photos and videos online and jumped into it blindly. I have no idea what I'm doing and it is great fun so far. Even my wife is mildly interested. I decided to go for a bit of a small Iwagumi design.

Equipment
Tank: 10 gallon Marineland from a kit
Light: CurrentUSA Satellite Plus Pro LED
Heater: Generic 50W from kit
Filter: Marineland Penguin Bio Wheel 75 from kit

Hardscape and Plants
Caribsea FloraMax black substrate
White sand
Rocks collected from a hike
Amazon Sword
Dwarf Hairgrass

Fish
6 Leopard Danio

Supplements
API C02 booster
Aqueon plant food
That's it...probably should have more...

The tank was set up on 09/03/2017 fish were added the following weekend after treating the water, and I've stumbled my way to today. I thought the light that came with the tank was 22W, but was in fact 22 white LEDs at 0.11W each. I figured this out after my plants started to yellow a bit (melt?). I tried to go budget friendly with the Finnex 24/7, but they neglected to put the remote in the package, so back it went.

I then bought a Current Satellite Pro Plus from my LFS and it's working well, though I'll have to wait more than 2 days to see if the plants are happier. I'm currently attempting a 10 hour photo period to get the plants to spring back, but I'm not sure if that's the right approach. Probably need to hop on some other fertilizers/plant food. I'd love to just have the rocks, a hairgrass carpet, and some taller plants in the back. The swords will be too huge, so I'll need a suitable replacement at some point, once I know I'm not killing everything.

With this tank, I'm mostly after something aesthetically pleasing and having some fun trying out a planted aquarium. I tried to attach some photos to show the initial setup and then the yellowing plants. First two photos are original light. Last photo is from yesterday with the new light. Some of the plants have moved because I accidentally pulled them up and had to replant.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170904_181611.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	789354  

Name:	IMG_20170905_084822.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	789362  

Name:	IMG_20170913_082905.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	789370  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode