2Likes
  • 2 Post By The Dude1
  • 2 Post By MasterofCloak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
150 gallon from Africans to Apisto's and Discus

This is the tank as it sits now. I'm going to trade in all of my cichlids and catfish and turn this into a heavily planted high tech Apisto tank with some Discus. I'll be adding full grown Discus last.
Tank has been up for 2 years.
Lighting - Beamswork DHL and Beamswork FSPEC
Filtration - Rena XP3, AC110, and AC70
CO2 - Aquatech Premium regulator 10# tank Griggs Reactor.
Substrate - removing all the crushed coral and sand and will be using a mix of Floramax and black sand.
Hardscape - rocks are coming out and will be replaced by a substantial amount of driftwood.

Flora - swords, crypts, bucephelandra, mosses, Bacopa Caroliniana, maybe some bolbitus, and blyxa Japonica.

Fauna - at least 3 pairs of Apisto's - haven't decided if I'll move the Caucatoides over here, but the lower 75 will be for raising fry. The top one will house fish that dont thrive in the display for whatever reason. Maybe displaced Apisto's along with Rainbows and Emperor Tetras.
I'm going to do 3 Discus... all the same so there is uniformity. I'm going to start with 50 Cardinal Tetras. I'm thinking a school of 15 Panda Cories.
Also 6 Nerites, 12 Amano shrimp, and any culls from my Carbon Rili tank.
Hopefully today or tomorrow I can get by the LFS to see what kind of deal he will work onbmy fish. He sells the Large Haps and Peacocks for $60 a piece. He sells the Synodontis for $25 a piece. Id be thrilled to get all the cardinals and maybe something else for the deal.

Abacaxis will DEFINATELY be in this tank. Other possibilities are Borelli, Panduro, and Baenschi. Like I said if someone doesn't thrive they will get to be the only pair in the 75 gallon so still a pretty sweet setup.

I'm undecided about leaf litter... it's so dirty..
Greggz and Greggz like this.

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by The Dude1; 09-14-2017 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 05:41 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/75%)
I am very excited to see the tank fully stocked. I really like large schools of tetras and cories. I'm not too sure about only three discus and how that would work. I've always seen more than 4 in a tank at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterofCloak View Post
I am very excited to see the tank fully stocked. I really like large schools of tetras and cories. I'm not too sure about only three discus and how that would work. I've always seen more than 4 in a tank at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh... I wonder if they need bigger groups.. I haven't spent too much time researching them. I have Rainbows in the top 75 so I thought Discus would be cool.. but now that I'm thinking about it I don't want to have to keep the tank at 80* for them. I'll have to look into them more. The LFS doesn't open until 4pm... if he even has power...
First step is rehoming all these fish.

Then swap out substrate and I need to get a large amount of driftwood for territories as well as substrate. I may take some substrate from one of the 75's... between that and 3 filters I should be able to avoid a cycle... if I haven't lost all the nitrifying bacteria in this ridiculous 5 day black out.
I think I'm pretty decided on
2 pairs of Apisto's (Abacaxis depending on breeding difficulty)
15 Panda Cory' s
50 Cardinal Tetras
?????
I want the Apisto's to be able to raise fry.
I don't want Angels I don't think... but some Pinoy Ghosts would be cool.

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by The Dude1; 09-14-2017 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Spelling

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Discus are out. Agreed minimum tempt it 82* and that would preclude some plants. Congo tetras eat softer leaves so they are out... perhaps I'll move the Rainbows and add a few? It's seems like 4pm will never come... I've got a pair of Abacaxis located. Now I just need to make space. Can't risk them being bullied.

Twin high tech 75's -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode