NOTICE: I am from The Netherlands, so please excuse any errors in my writing, however if a mistake is too horrendous to let go, please do correct me.
So about 60 days ago I tore down my bigger 260 liter (68 US liquid gallon) because I hadn't bought fish for it in like 6 years and I only had 1 gold nugget pleco in there
and 1 amano shrimp, plus not enough time to do 50 liter (13 g) water changes every week anymore . These last two critters I gave away.
My bedroom however didn't feel the same without a tank in there so I decided to setup a smaller 60 liter tank in it, and this time a (properly) planted one.
My goal was/is to keep crystal red shrimp in it and get them breeding.
Below is the equipment I used and photo's of the progress, now remember this is my first attempt at a planted tank and my first attempt at keeping soft water shrimp (only shrimp i kept before are amano's) so please,
if you have any advice, or would just like to comment on my tank, feel free to leave a comment below ;D
I found a pretty cheap, everything included "Juwel Primo 60" about 50 days ago, which is when things got started!
- 60 L/15 g tank, 37x31x61 cm or 15x12x24 inches. (painted the back black)
- original filter but in front of the intake I added a coarse sponge and over the whole thing a black panty hose.
- juwel novolux LED lighting (red and white).
- a smaller pump (with a smalle sponge prefilter) for more surface flow and backup in case the bigger pump breaks (also a black panty hose over this whole pump).
- 50W heater built in the filter housing.
- 5 L (1 US dry gallon) worm compost.
- 15 L (3 US dry gallon) akadama.
- OHKO dragon stones.
- piece of driftwood.
- cheap RO-unit and salty shrimp GH+ remineralizer.
DAY 1, bare tank:
DAY 4, back of the tank painted black:
DAY 11, soil, akadama and rocks are in:
DAY 11, DIY CO2 setup I ran for the first 2 weeks:
DAY 12, plants arrived!:
So initially I used the following plants (see above picture, plants are listed in the order, top left to top right and then bottom left to bottom right):
- Alternanthera rosanervig
- Sagittaria subulata
- Staurogyne sp. repens
- Echinodorus parviflora/parviflorus
- Microsorium pteropus petit
- Taxiphyllum sp. Giant moss (in vitro)
- Alternanthera reineckii Mini (in vitro)
- Anubias nana yellow heart
- Anubias nana mini
- Anubias coffee folia (which is behind the anubias nana in the bottom right in the picture above)
- Anubias nana
DAY 12, Filling the tank right after planting:
DAY 12, right after filling the tank:
DAY 13, and the next day:
DAY 21, The Sagittaria subulata keeps shooting up so I am going to place it in the back and replace it with Glossostigma elatinoides, I also added a pieces of driftwood in the back and attached the moss, which I hadn't planted yet, to it. :
DAY 24, Glossostigma elatinoides is in and Sagittaria subulata is all the way in the back now:
DAY 29, First inhabitants of the tank, 5 Neritina Natalensis zebra:
DAY 29, I made these pictures of their mouthpieces through a magnifying glass:
DAY 40, I replaced the analog timeclocks with a digital timeclock around which I built a case:
DAY 44, And the CRS are in! 26 to start with, this is right after putting them in the tank:
DAY 45, This is one day after putting them in:
DAY 47, and three days later after colloring up a little:
DAY 50, This is the tank as it is right now,
- The Sagittaria subulata in the back completely melted away, roots and all, so I replaced it with Cryptocoryne beckettii "Viridifolia".
- The Glossostigma elatinoides kept making runners to the top off the tank and releasing leaves which made a mess, so I took it out and replaced it with some
Cladophora aegagropila "Moss" balls.
- All my anubias' kept getting soft, brown, stinking spots in their rhizomes, so I took them all out about two weeks prior to this picture and cut away all the soft spots and
5mm (1/5 of an inch) extra, gave them a good coldwater rinse and put them back in the tank, for now they seem to be doing pretty well, all of them
developping new leaves.
- My Echinodorus parviflora/parviflorus, melted away completely but 2 new leaves came back from the roots (I guess transition from emerse to submerse)
- about 4 or 5 days before this picture I trimmed the Alternanthera rosanervig and placed the cuttings in between the other stems for a fuller bush
- and I added some catappa leaves: