15g/60L planted shrimp tank (CRS) - The Planted Tank Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
15g/60L planted shrimp tank (CRS)

NOTICE: I am from The Netherlands, so please excuse any errors in my writing, however if a mistake is too horrendous to let go, please do correct me.

So about 60 days ago I tore down my bigger 260 liter (68 US liquid gallon) because I hadn't bought fish for it in like 6 years and I only had 1 gold nugget pleco in there
and 1 amano shrimp, plus not enough time to do 50 liter (13 g) water changes every week anymore . These last two critters I gave away.
My bedroom however didn't feel the same without a tank in there so I decided to setup a smaller 60 liter tank in it, and this time a (properly) planted one.
My goal was/is to keep crystal red shrimp in it and get them breeding.

Below is the equipment I used and photo's of the progress, now remember this is my first attempt at a planted tank and my first attempt at keeping soft water shrimp (only shrimp i kept before are amano's) so please,
if you have any advice, or would just like to comment on my tank, feel free to leave a comment below ;D

I found a pretty cheap, everything included "Juwel Primo 60" about 50 days ago, which is when things got started!

EQUIPMENT:
- 60 L/15 g tank, 37x31x61 cm or 15x12x24 inches. (painted the back black)
- original filter but in front of the intake I added a coarse sponge and over the whole thing a black panty hose.
- juwel novolux LED lighting (red and white).
- a smaller pump (with a smalle sponge prefilter) for more surface flow and backup in case the bigger pump breaks (also a black panty hose over this whole pump).
- 50W heater built in the filter housing.
- 5 L (1 US dry gallon) worm compost.
- 15 L (3 US dry gallon) akadama.
- OHKO dragon stones.
- piece of driftwood.
- cheap RO-unit and salty shrimp GH+ remineralizer.

PICTURES:

DAY 1, bare tank:

DAY 4, back of the tank painted black:

DAY 11, soil, akadama and rocks are in:

DAY 11, DIY CO2 setup I ran for the first 2 weeks:

DAY 12, plants arrived!:

So initially I used the following plants (see above picture, plants are listed in the order, top left to top right and then bottom left to bottom right):
- Alternanthera rosanervig
- Sagittaria subulata
- Staurogyne sp. repens
- Echinodorus parviflora/parviflorus
- Microsorium pteropus petit
- Taxiphyllum sp. Giant moss (in vitro)
- Alternanthera reineckii Mini (in vitro)
- Anubias nana yellow heart
- Anubias nana mini
- Anubias coffee folia (which is behind the anubias nana in the bottom right in the picture above)
- Anubias nana

DAY 12, Filling the tank right after planting:

DAY 12, right after filling the tank:

DAY 13, and the next day:

DAY 21, The Sagittaria subulata keeps shooting up so I am going to place it in the back and replace it with Glossostigma elatinoides, I also added a pieces of driftwood in the back and attached the moss, which I hadn't planted yet, to it. :

DAY 24, Glossostigma elatinoides is in and Sagittaria subulata is all the way in the back now:

DAY 29, First inhabitants of the tank, 5 Neritina Natalensis zebra:

DAY 29, I made these pictures of their mouthpieces through a magnifying glass:

DAY 40, I replaced the analog timeclocks with a digital timeclock around which I built a case:

DAY 44, And the CRS are in! 26 to start with, this is right after putting them in the tank:

DAY 45, This is one day after putting them in:

DAY 47, and three days later after colloring up a little:

DAY 50, This is the tank as it is right now,
- The Sagittaria subulata in the back completely melted away, roots and all, so I replaced it with Cryptocoryne beckettii "Viridifolia".
- The Glossostigma elatinoides kept making runners to the top off the tank and releasing leaves which made a mess, so I took it out and replaced it with some
Cladophora aegagropila "Moss" balls.
- All my anubias' kept getting soft, brown, stinking spots in their rhizomes, so I took them all out about two weeks prior to this picture and cut away all the soft spots and
5mm (1/5 of an inch) extra, gave them a good coldwater rinse and put them back in the tank, for now they seem to be doing pretty well, all of them
developping new leaves.
- My Echinodorus parviflora/parviflorus, melted away completely but 2 new leaves came back from the roots (I guess transition from emerse to submerse)
- about 4 or 5 days before this picture I trimmed the Alternanthera rosanervig and placed the cuttings in between the other stems for a fuller bush
- and I added some catappa leaves:

Last edited by giwan; 09-11-2017 at 02:16 PM. Reason: reuploading the picture through imgur, because they didn't work at first
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Feeding time, this time zucchini ;D

Tomorrow I'll get my feeding tube, I will feed them some of my homemade food, they love that stuff
(it's nettle leaf, dandelion leaf, elderberry leaf, a red paprika, and some montmorillonite clay blended and dried to a crisp in the oven (40 deg. C or 104 deg. F))

I will also be adding a ludwigia to the left side of the tank behind the rock. Probably a ludwigia sp. super red, it'll grow faster than the alternanthera rosanervig (and that way use some more of the iron in the water, which is pretty high right now), but when both reach the top of the tank again, i think it'll look pretty cool (and it will take the filters a little more out of sight).

Last edited by giwan; 09-12-2017 at 09:03 PM. Reason: announced what is being added to the tank soon
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 10:40 PM
Algae Grower

Good luck with CRS! Be sure to trim the plants and keep some space for them to swim in there. My try to keep them in a 6g tank was a flop as it got filled with plants quite fast and I lost all of them eventually. Both CRS and CBS. Might try in another tank.
giwan and giwan like this.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquil View Post
Good luck with CRS! Be sure to trim the plants and keep some space for them to swim in there. My try to keep them in a 6g tank was a flop as it got filled with plants quite fast and I lost all of them eventually. Both CRS and CBS. Might try in another tank.
haha, thanks man!
for now the CRS seem to be doing very well, they are very active ;D
plants I do trim, but i haven't had the tank up for that long yet.
The ludwigia thats coming on the left side probably has to be trimmed a little more often,
the microsorum still has to grow in (it's getting there ),
and the alternanthera rosanervig was already trimmed once (I placed the cuttings inbetween the existing stems).
I indeed plan on keeping the middle portion of the aquarium open, and let the plants/rocks slope up to the back and sides, for a sort of concave look.

btw, here are the schematics I use for my aquarium, just to make my life a little easier:

this is to keep track of my watervalues over time:

this is to see when I have to dose a certain fertilizer and when to do a waterchange:

And this one I use to have a visual of which light is on at what time, and if I change it in the clock I change it here:
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 08:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Great looking tank!! You've got an eye for scaping.

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Thanks man, that's kind of what I'm going for. Higher plants on the sides and in the back. a concave look to it.
So far my CRS seem to be doing good, I have only had them for 11 days though ;P
I hope the females will get berried soon, KH is currently around 1, GH is 6, pH around 6,8 now (started at pH 7, 11 days ago, slowly lowering it to 6.6/6.7 and keeping it there), temperature always around 23 deg. C (about 73,5 F), and doing bi-monthly waterchanges with remineralized RO-water (using saltyshrimp GH+ for that). so yeah fingers crossed for babies ;P

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
Great looking tank!! You've got an eye for scaping.
Thanks for the kind words ;D regarding the scape, I didn't follow any particular rules orso, I just did what I thought would look good. and a small tank like this with alot of limitations due to the CRS being so sensitive, makes that I learn alot of new things, so I am very curious as to what this tank will look like in 6 months, let alone a year ;P

And an update:

I fed them my home made food, through a feeding tube so it would stay put in the feeding dish, and the little bastards dragged the piece of food to right outside the dish...

and 15 out of 26 shrimp gathered in the middle of my tank (the piece of anubias I have there is going out, i am keeping it in here to save it for someone else):

And to the left of the tank you can see my new ludwigia sp. super red (it still has to color up though), i think i might trim every stem to roughly the same height, or maybe a slight slope in the trimming, and let it reach the top of the tank at roughly the same time as the alternanthera rosanervig, let me know what you guys think:

These are the charts I use to keep track of my water parameters and to see when I need to dose a certain kind of fertilizer:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by giwan; 09-14-2017 at 07:51 PM. Reason: extra overview picture
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 03:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Very good journal here. I really like the scape a lot. Their colors look really good. I would say you really do not need a heater. They can handle cold water MUCH better than warm water. Just keep the temp below 75 and they all should be very happy. That's good you feed them montmorillonite clay. That stuff not many know about and is super good for them. I put some in the tank about once a week. Oh also get some Bacter AE and use it every other day. I am telling you its like as soon as I started using that stuff it was like college town and I went from 0 berried to 5 in 2 weeks. Not saying it was all attributed to it but feel some of it was.

Also they really love mulberry leaves. Put a couple in there for them(make sure organic) and leave in there and in a couple days the leaf will be gone. Also I really like to have in the tank at all times is a Indian Almond leaf or two. Those are apparently really good for them and help their immune system which helps fight off any potential bacterial infections. Keep up the good work really like the chart. I do something similar and have one for the feeding schedule as well.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownplanted View Post
Very good journal here. I really like the scape a lot. Their colors look really good. I would say you really do not need a heater. They can handle cold water MUCH better than warm water. Just keep the temp below 75 and they all should be very happy. That's good you feed them montmorillonite clay. That stuff not many know about and is super good for them. I put some in the tank about once a week. Oh also get some Bacter AE and use it every other day. I am telling you its like as soon as I started using that stuff it was like college town and I went from 0 berried to 5 in 2 weeks. Not saying it was all attributed to it but feel some of it was.

Also they really love mulberry leaves. Put a couple in there for them(make sure organic) and leave in there and in a couple days the leaf will be gone. Also I really like to have in the tank at all times is a Indian Almond leaf or two. Those are apparently really good for them and help their immune system which helps fight off any potential bacterial infections. Keep up the good work really like the chart. I do something similar and have one for the feeding schedule as well.
Wow, thanks for the great tips!
I will definitely be buying some of that Bacter AE, sounds great.
I have my heating element set to around 22-23 deg. C (71,5-73,5F), and will be leaving it in my tank as it can sometimes get as low as 55 deg. F in my room if the heating is disabled and my windows are open.
i also add the montmorillonite about once a week and i have it in their food, and they go crazy for that food, fighting over it and everything.

fresh mulberry leaves are hard to come by in the netherlands, so I'd have to order some dried ones, or go to this park around 40km away where i know for sure there are some mulberry trees.
I already have like 3 catappa leaves (IAL) in my aquarium, and you're right, they absolutely love to graze off the biofilm that forms on them.

And great idea about the chart for feeding too, I have so many different kinds of food right now, it's hard to remember which type i feed on what day XD.

This is what i am feeding them now (and twice a week i add some betaglucan+immunoglobulin):

so in the bags are from left to right:
- home made food (stinging nettle leaves, dandelion leaves, elderberry leaves, red paprika, montmorillonite clay. all mushed and dried to a crisp).
- dried stinging nettle leaves.
- dried slices of zucchini.
- and in front of the zucchini bag are some sample bags of walnut leaf food and growth food.

In the pots are:
- pollen
- barley food mix
- daily food mix
- glucazyme (betaglucan+immunoglobulin)
clownplanted and clownplanted like this.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey @clownplanted as you suggested I got some Bacter AE and used it in my tank.
I think I did something wrong though as it just sits on top of my surface (for more than 8 hours at time of posting)

here is a picture of it for reference:

should I have premixed it with some tankwater?
and the stuff that's on the surface now, should I remove it or just leave it be?
my shrimp seem to love the stuff that does sink, so I still think it was a great tip, i am just wondering how you dose it ;P

and a very minor update, I did a very small trimming of the ludwigia sp. super red and the staurogyne repens on the left side of the tank. and I of course replanted the cuttings. Also, the anubias are all getting new leaves very regularly now, the new growth of the anubias coffee folia especially stands out ;P

Before:

After:

I'm thinking of taking out the alternanthera reineckii mini on the right and placing some staurogyne repens in the same way I did on the left side of the tank. I'll first give it some more time though, for now there is enough happening in the tank. Let me know what you guys think about that plan, and feel free to leave as many suggestions as you want!
johnson18 and johnson18 like this.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 12:57 AM
Algae Grower

I would actually not remove AR completely as it adds a nice touch to the colorway of the tank, thinking about adding AR Lila to my scape from my smaller 6g tank, I can post a picture here of how it looks tonight. What I would do though is remove some stems from the far right side of the tank, near the glass, put SR there and leave a few ARs behind the stone. Thus you will have a nice green scenery with red accent a bit to the right of the center of the tank. Almost same set up as I would have.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 06:09 AM
Algae Grower

this is how AR Lila looks in my tank - just replanted, but you get an idea

Last edited by tranquil; 09-21-2017 at 12:08 AM. Reason: updated pictures
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
I would actually not remove AR completely as it adds a nice touch to the colorway of the tank, thinking about adding AR Lila to my scape from my smaller 6g tank, I can post a picture here of how it looks tonight. What I would do though is remove some stems from the far right side of the tank, near the glass, put SR there and leave a few ARs behind the stone. Thus you will have a nice green scenery with red accent a bit to the right of the center of the tank. Almost same set up as I would have.
Quote:
this is how AR Lila looks in my tank - just replanted, but you get an idea

Hmmm, those pictures aren't working somehow, maybe you can upload them to https://imgur.com/?
EDIT: replaced old pics with newly hosted pics in quote

Thanks for the advice btw, I think I should have clarified though, because I think you thought I mean to pull all of the Alternanthera on the right side of the tank.
I have 2 different alternanthera species on the right side of that tank: Alternanthera Rosanervig and Alternanthera Reineckii "Mini",
out of which I'm thinking about pulling the latter.

Here a picture to clarify:

Last edited by giwan; 09-21-2017 at 03:03 PM. Reason: replaced images in quote, with newly hosted pics
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 12:12 AM
Algae Grower

Нmm, this is weird. Anyway, changed the hosting, hope it works now.

Yes, I'd pull out AR mini completely and would also pull out a few stems of rosanervig which are close to the glass. This would give you more depth, accentuate the hook stone and rosanervig which is behind it.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Нmm, this is weird. Anyway, changed the hosting, hope it works now.

Yes, I'd pull out AR mini completely and would also pull out a few stems of rosanervig which are close to the glass. This would give you more depth, accentuate the hook stone and rosanervig which is behind it.
hey, thanks for the advice, beautiful tank btw!
I will do this as soon as i can get some staurogyne repens.

First another issue though...
I first noticed this about 5 days ago.
Something seems to be chowing down on my red plants (A. Rosanervig, A. Reineckii "mini" and Ludwigia sp. super red).
The only animals I have in this tank are 5 nerite snails and 26 Crystal Red Shrimp, neither of which are known to eat plants.
I have looked in the tank at night with a flashlight and turned the lights on to see if i could find any other animals eating my plants, but i can't.
Could it be that something is wrong with my parameters and weakening these plants, and the shrimp are just eating dead tissue?

Here are my parameters:
Temp.: 23,0 - 23,5
KH: 1 - 2
GH 5 - 6
pH: 6,6 - 6,8
NO3: 5 - 10 ppm
PO4: 0,2 - 0,3 ppm
Fe: 0,20 - 0,25 ppm
K+: 5 - 8 ppm

I sure hope someone can help me with this, Anyways here are some pictures, I circled the problematic areas:

tranquil and tranquil like this.

Last edited by giwan; 09-21-2017 at 07:56 PM. Reason: correction
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 12:11 AM
Algae Grower

interesting...I don't think this is a shrimp job, doesn't look like it. Do you see new leaves affected? Try cutting the affected ones and watch if any new leaves on the same plants get affected or new plants get affected. Might be light/water thing.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode