75G High Tech Rainbowfish Build - The Planted Tank Forum
 156Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 159 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
75G High Tech Rainbowfish Build

Well, after suffering through my first high-tech learning curve(s), I am eager to convert my current 75g mish-mash into a semi-dedicated rainbowfish tank. (I must add, I was searching through these forums and came across a thread by Greggz - absolutely amazing tank and is my current 'inspiration'). As the title states, I will be converting my existing tank and will be using this post to hopefully document the 'transformation. Below is the equipment currently:

SunSun 403B Canister Filter (x1)
Finnex 24/7 SE LED lights 48" (x1)
Pressurized Co2 with custom regulator
PPS-Pro Dosing
Finnex Digital Heater/Thermostat

Current substrate is a basic play sand - I have had great plant growth and see no reason to use the expensive 'AquaSoil' types.

What I want:

Rainbowfish - multiple species
German Blue Rams
Cory Cats/Loaches - yet to decide.

(see above tank reference for my inspiration, just on a 75g scale).

My Concerns:

Filtration - I am highly considering switching to a wet/dry with sump (should not be a problem with pressurized CO2) as I really dislike cleaning canisters. From what I am gathering - a single SunSun403B is not nearly enough filtration. There seems to be quite a few threads debating pros/cons of each, and I am not really looking to start that debate here, but I am looking for a 'recommended' amount of filtration. Do I have enough? If not, canister recommendations and quantity.

Cyano - I have no idea how, but I recently discovered a decent cyano outbreak in my current tank. As per typical fashion, its quickly covered my substrate and plants. I am treating with Chemiclean (which seems to be working), but I am also aware that this stuff is the devil to completely eradicate. Am I asking for trouble if I attempt to 'convert' my tank without first tearing it down, cleaning it, and starting fresh?

I would post a few pics of current setup, but I do not have an upgraded Photobucket account, nor do I see a real relevance to this topic.

ANY input would be appreciated, and as stated previously, I do plan to upgrade my progress here regularly (with pics). Thanks for reading!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 159 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 01:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Is it any surprise to say I am looking forward to seeing where this goes??

Good luck with the build. Now go get a place to host pics, or learn how to do it right on this site, as I'm expecting a lot of them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

------------------
post #3 of 159 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Is it any surprise to say I am looking forward to seeing where this goes??

Good luck with the build. Now go get a place to host pics, or learn how to do it right on this site, as I'm expecting a lot of them.

I will do so! But before I can post I need to make sure I have my 'ducks in a row' I'm guessing you'd advise for more filtration?

And...I just noticed you are only an hour from me!

post #4 of 159 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 01:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I have no experience with sumps so can't help you there. In general, I've always believed in excess filtration, and if possible more than one. Basic idea is that when you clean one, you are not disturbing the bio field of the other. Ammonia spikes are not good for plants or fish. Also, if ever you run into an emergency problem with one, the other can handle things well enough so that you are not in a panic. I actually run three, but one of them is mostly to drive my Cerges reactor. Course media and lots of bio matter, but not any fine filtering with that one. Want to keep the flow rate up at all times.

Another thing to keep in mind for Rainbows is oxygen. Good surface agitation is a priority for me. Your Rainbows will appreciate it.

I don't have any experience with LED's, but I'm sure others can help you there. The amount of light really depends on the plant species you intend to keep. Many of the showier plants will require a good amount of light to thrive and show the best colors. Also, with only one 48" fixture, your par will vary quite a bit from front, back, center, sides. You might need to plant accordingly, keeping some lower light plants in the lower par areas.

Once again, looking forward to seeing what you come up with. If I can be of any help sharing my experience, don't hesitate to reach out.

------------------
post #5 of 159 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
I have no experience with sumps so can't help you there. In general, I've always believed in excess filtration, and if possible more than one. Basic idea is that when you clean one, you are not disturbing the bio field of the other. Ammonia spikes are not good for plants or fish. Also, if ever you run into an emergency problem with one, the other can handle things well enough so that you are not in a panic. I actually run three, but one of them is mostly to drive my Cerges reactor. Course media and lots of bio matter, but not any fine filtering with that one. Want to keep the flow rate up at all times.

Another thing to keep in mind for Rainbows is oxygen. Good surface agitation is a priority for me. Your Rainbows will appreciate it.

I don't have any experience with LED's, but I'm sure others can help you there. The amount of light really depends on the plant species you intend to keep. Many of the showier plants will require a good amount of light to thrive and show the best colors. Also, with only one 48" fixture, your par will vary quite a bit from front, back, center, sides. You might need to plant accordingly, keeping some lower light plants in the lower par areas.

Once again, looking forward to seeing what you come up with. If I can be of any help sharing my experience, don't hesitate to reach out.
Thank you for the input. Are you still running the Rena pumps? Would you recommend them?

One of the reasons I am considering a sump is for the surface skimming capabilities. Perhaps it's the saltwater reefer in me, but the maintenance on a wet/dry is so much 'easier'. I have no experience running a freshwater version, however.

Anyways, thanks again for the input and if anyone has any canister recommendations, feel free to chime in as well.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

post #6 of 159 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 01:55 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Getting help from the experts here, especially Gregzz with certainly supercharge the road to your success. Rainbows rock, and if I wasn't on a one tank leash, I'd be right there with you.
Greggz, Greggz, ProndFarms and 1 others like this.

Brian Rodgers

post #7 of 159 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 02:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProndFarms View Post
Thank you for the input. Are you still running the Rena pumps? Would you recommend them?

One of the reasons I am considering a sump is for the surface skimming capabilities. Perhaps it's the saltwater reefer in me, but the maintenance on a wet/dry is so much 'easier'. I have no experience running a freshwater version, however.
Here's the thing. If you ask the question what is the best canister filter, most people will respond with whatever it is they own. Two of my Rena's have been running for 16 years, so I don't know much about other brands. I do know the quick disconnect makes it easy to service. And the design hasn't changed in years, so parts/gaskets/etc are readily available. Honestly, I think they all do pretty much the same thing to one degree or another.

As far as maintenance, every 4/5 weeks or so, over to the laundry room sink, rinse out the pads, put in new filter floss, and in ten minutes back in the tank. And maybe sumps wet/drys are a better solution and easier, I just have no experience with them.

In the scheme of things, probably the most insignificant choice you will have. If you look at all of the items it takes to run a planted tank, it's the one I would give the least amount of thought to. IMO just have lots of it.

------------------
post #8 of 159 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 02:56 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProndFarms View Post

Filtration - I am highly considering switching to a wet/dry with sump (should not be a problem with pressurized CO2) as I really dislike cleaning canisters. From what I am gathering - a single SunSun403B is not nearly enough filtration. There seems to be quite a few threads debating pros/cons of each, and I am not really looking to start that debate here, but I am looking for a 'recommended' amount of filtration. Do I have enough? If not, canister recommendations and quantity.
I run 2 tanks: a 65 gal display tank with a 20 gal sump and a 135 gal with 2 canister filters - Fluval FX6 and a Hydor.

Both have their pros and cons.

With the sump you will have to consider the following:

1. Loss of CO2 - gal to gal, I use more CO2 in the 65 gal but there may be other variables apart from filter choice
2. Overflow and related noise (with the right design you can get a completely silent drain)

Like you, my inspiration for the 135gal was @Greggz setup. For this set up I opted for two canisters. The set up is an overkill but will allow me to keep a larger fish load. The Fluval FX6 is a monster and I use it exclusively as a filter. The Hydor feeds the inline heater, RG reactor and UV light filter.

I do not see much difference in filter maintenance: I give the sump a quick clean every weekend and a detailed clean every two months. The canisters are cleaned alternately every month.

With regards to surface skimming, I use an Ehiem surface skimmer on the 135 - works great.

As far as recommendations go: if you go for a sump, use the largest tank you can accommodate. I really like my Jebao DCT pump. For CO2, I use a dedicated pump to feed my Cerges reactor. Lot of choice for filter media.

For canisters, my choice of filters was based on reviews. filter ratings and the killer prices I got from the LFS. Having said that I have read positive things about the Sun Sun filters. Retail price of 2 of them is similar to one FX6!
Greggz, Greggz, RSS and 3 others like this.

post #9 of 159 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Here's the thing. If you ask the question what is the best canister filter, most people will respond with whatever it is they own. Two of my Rena's have been running for 16 years, so I don't know much about other brands. I do know the quick disconnect makes it easy to service. And the design hasn't changed in years, so parts/gaskets/etc are readily available. Honestly, I think they all do pretty much the same thing to one degree or another.

As far as maintenance, every 4/5 weeks or so, over to the laundry room sink, rinse out the pads, put in new filter floss, and in ten minutes back in the tank. And maybe sumps wet/drys are a better solution and easier, I just have no experience with them.

In the scheme of things, probably the most insignificant choice you will have. If you look at all of the items it takes to run a planted tank, it's the one I would give the least amount of thought to. IMO just have lots of it.

I suppose this is a very valid point - duly noted

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OreoP View Post
I run 2 tanks: a 65 gal display tank with a 20 gal sump and a 135 gal with 2 canister filters - Fluval FX6 and a Hydor.

Both have their pros and cons.

With the sump you will have to consider the following:

1. Loss of CO2 - gal to gal, I use more CO2 in the 65 gal but there may be other variables apart from filter choice
2. Overflow and related noise (with the right design you can get a completely silent drain)

Like you, my inspiration for the 135gal was @Greggz setup. For this set up I opted for two canisters. The set up is an overkill but will allow me to keep a larger fish load. The Fluval FX6 is a monster and I use it exclusively as a filter. The Hydor feeds the inline heater, RG reactor and UV light filter.

I do not see much difference in filter maintenance: I give the sump a quick clean every weekend and a detailed clean every two months. The canisters are cleaned alternately every month.

With regards to surface skimming, I use an Ehiem surface skimmer on the 135 - works great.

As far as recommendations go: if you go for a sump, use the largest tank you can accommodate. I really like my Jebao DCT pump. For CO2, I use a dedicated pump to feed my Cerges reactor. Lot of choice for filter media.

For canisters, my choice of filters was based on reviews. filter ratings and the killer prices I got from the LFS. Having said that I have read positive things about the Sun Sun filters. Retail price of 2 of them is similar to one FX6!

Thank you for the input. I actually am already using the Eheim skimmer on my 75g and yes - it works wonderfully; I will definitely continue to use it on my rework.

Bump: So after some input and thread searching, I have decided to continue with the canister filters, and will be ordering another one in the very near future to complete the existing SunSun. I am looking for something with perhaps a bit better build quality, as the self-priming pump no longer works and the self-contained UV light is no longer working (not that it was large enough to do anything in the first place).
Greggz, Greggz, RSS and 3 others like this.

post #10 of 159 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well, after a long weekend, I finally took some time and moved my existing inhabitants into a temporary home (40B). I was able to drain their old home, clean up the glass, remove and replace the silicone seals (tank is probably 15+ years old), install some new equipment, and finally add some sand and water. Maybe a bit pic intensive, but I was on a roll I guess

I've also determined that I can't quite figure out how to add the pics one by one with a description, so I guess this 'lump sum' of pics will have to do. I can also say that I am extremely disappointed in the sand that I chose, as it was Black Blasting Sand from Menards - and it is extremely fine and unfortunately, not very black. Instead it appears very brown and 'muddy' looking. Hopefully over time I will grow accustomed to it.

That's all the updates I have for now. I still need to make and install a CO2 reactor on one of the canister filters, as well as get some new black vinyl tubing for my original canister. I have a large piece of driftwood soaking that I am hoping will start to sink soon, and I am starting to work on a stock list for plants. I must admit I am a TERRIBLE 'waterscaper', and looking for some help on plant selections if anyone wants to chime in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030226.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	793801  

Name:	P1030237.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	793809  

Name:	P1030225.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	793817  

Name:	P1030238.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	793825  

Name:	P1030234.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	793833  

Name:	P1030229.jpg
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	793841  

Name:	P1030255.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	793849  

Name:	P1030254.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	793857  

Greggz, Greggz, The Dude1 and 3 others like this.

post #11 of 159 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quick Update

Received two shipments of plants, here are a few sample pics:

Synogonanthus 'Rio Negro'

Name:	P1030386.jpg
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	795618

Alternanthera reineckii

Name:	P1030387.jpg
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	795626

Cabomba 'Purple'

Name:	P1030389.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	795634

Pardon the coloration in this photo and my rocks weighing down the driftwood, but pic was taken at night as lights were ramping down.

Lobelia cardinalis in the front, Rotala colorata in the rear.

Name:	P1030400.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	795650

I plan on taking a trip to the LFS this weekend and picking up my first batch of rainbows - super excited. In the meantime, I'll work on taking better pics!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1030405.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	795642  

Greggz, Greggz, RSS and 1 others like this.

Last edited by ProndFarms; 10-13-2017 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Pics
post #12 of 159 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 02:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Looking forward to seeing the Bows! What kind are you getting?
RSS and RSS like this.

------------------
post #13 of 159 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Looking forward to seeing the Bows! What kind are you getting?
Well, after quite a lengthy discussion with Dale, I am hoping to walk away with the following to start:

Wapoga 'Red Laser'
Parkinsoni
Goyder River
Turquois

Initial stocking quantities are a bit of a concern to me, so I was thinking groups of 2-3 of each of those? Then I could add more over time, always saving a bit of room for the next 'must have' species
Greggz, Greggz, Immortal1 and 3 others like this.

post #14 of 159 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Fts 10-12-17

Ignore the rocks holding down the driftwood and the classic 'flowerpot'

Name:	P1030416.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	795658
RSS and RSS like this.

post #15 of 159 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 02:55 AM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looking forward to how your stocking goes (also a Rainbow fan)
Greggz and Greggz like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode