100G Iwagumi tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
100G Iwagumi tank

I have set up many tanks before, some planted. After quitting the hobby for a few months due to busy work schedule, I now am setting up a new Iwagumi tank. The main goal is low maintenance.

Plants will be:
- Chrismast moss
- HC
- Eleocharis Sp Mini
- Staurogyne Sp Repens

Why:
- They are all slow-med growth. Less on maintenance time.
- They are easy to trim. I believe I just need to trim the top. No uprooting needed.
- I decided to go with severals instead of just HC for a more natural look.

Rocks: Dark Seiryu stone.

Fish will be:
- 30 Rummy nose tetras or Cherry Barbs.
- 8 Nerite snails for algea control.
- Some Crystal Red Shrimps/Tiger Shrimps for algae control, if they survive.

The tank is next to my 180G discus tank. Clear-for-life acrylic 60 x 18 x20. Stand is made by the LFS. It looks just like the Perfecto stand made by Marine Land. I went with LFS for both and saved $900 compared to Petsmart's tank + Fishtanksdirect'stand. Same place I bought the 180G few years ago.

The LED light fixtures arrived today. Radion XR15W G4 Pro. I was concerned that the spread may not be enough for a 5 foot tank. But after turning them on, I saw the spread and intensity was more than enough. I think I could grow HC at 75% intensity to be conservative.

Filter Hydor 600. About 400GPH. I'm not sure if this will be enough. Do you have any suggestions? It's currently hooked up to the established tank for the bateria.

Bump: reserved
aerosquid and aerosquid like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 09:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

Looks promising nice lighting. Make sure to use a few big stones. Example a main stone 2/3 of the height of the aquarium and with enough width.
markl323 and markl323 like this.

My Tanks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 12:32 PM
Planted Member

Off to a great start! Did those mounts come with the lights?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by geektom View Post
Off to a great start! Did those mounts come with the lights?
Bought separately. The fixtures didn't come with anything that could be used to mount or hang. You'd have to buy either a hanging kit, the mounts or the rail.
geektom and geektom like this.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 07:28 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl323 View Post
Bought separately. The fixtures didn't come with anything that could be used to mount or hang. You'd have to buy either a hanging kit, the mounts or the rail.

That is what I though, because I am considering them for a 150g project next year. Would you mind sending me information on the mounts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by geektom View Post
That is what I though, because I am considering them for a 150g project next year. Would you mind sending me information on the mounts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Single Light RMS

Radion Accessories - EcoTech Marine
geektom and geektom like this.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Added Aqua Soil, rocks, HC and Staurogyne Repens yesterday.

xmas_one and xmas_one like this.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 02:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Looks good. I would be worried that the hard scape will get lost once the plants grow in.
SKYE.__.HIGH and SKYE.__.HIGH like this.

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 04:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
Looks good. I would be worried that the hard scape will get lost once the plants grow in.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I would either

1) change out the rocks for bigger ones or

2) use egg crate (or something alike) to build those stones way up.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the feedback SKYE & xmas. I have about 30 lbs of white Seiryu stones under those hills. I had no use for them. Plus this is Aqua Soil which is supposed to slope a bit better, I am hoping this will stay for a year or two.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 02:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl323 View Post
Thanks for the feedback SKYE & xmas. I have about 30 lbs of white Seiryu stones under those hills. I had no use for them. Plus this is Aqua Soil which is supposed to slope a bit better, I am hoping this will stay for a year or two.

No that's not what we mean, we mean to tell you that your hardscape is to low. Your plants with grow over it. It also doesn't follow the rule of thirds when it comes to 2/3'rds up the tank height wise.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYE.__.HIGH View Post
No that's not what we mean, we mean to tell you that your hardscape is to low. Your plants with grow over it. It also doesn't follow the rule of thirds when it comes to 2/3'rds up the tank height wise.
ah..i've been trying to find bigger rocks.
SKYE.__.HIGH and SKYE.__.HIGH like this.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

- I finally found some bigger rocks at a LFS.
- I finally refilled the CO2 bottle yesterday so the lights have been on for only two days. Before that lights were off and no CO2 so half of the HC and Staurogyne Repens melt. However, I cranked up the CO2 and they have been recovering. HC even pearled.
- Light is set at 80% intensity, 8H/day. I reduced the yellow a bit to make the tank look prettier. CO2 starts 2H before lights on and stops 1H before lights off.

- The CO2 regulator is a $60 DiCi one from Amazon. It works great as the reviews indicated. Solenoid, bubble counter, and needle valve work as expected. Arrived the next day with Prime's free shipping. Quick follow up from seller. Zero complaint. I rarely do this, but I think I might have to log on Amazon and give this item a 5 star.

- Intake & Outtake pipes with surface skimming from JARDLI on Amazon. They are well made. I chose metal to avoid cleaning. They are made for rimless tank but I got them to work for this Clear-for-life tank. It is a bit tricky to get the intake pipe in the corner hole but it can be done.

- A $20 drop checker on Amazon. It works just as well. They are all using the same chemical solution.

- Some pics of HC and Staurogyne Repens. The melting has stopped and they are now growing. No fish & shrimp yet so CO2 has been at 10-20 bps to be sure the plants will recover.

Dempsey and Dempsey like this.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 06:48 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I bough that same regulator it's great.
markl323 and markl323 like this.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 10:25 AM
Algae Grower

Hi.

For a tank that size I still think you need larger rocks. Once your plants start to grow I count it that 4 rocks will be visible and the rest won't. I know in an Iwagumi styled tank you can sacrifice a rock or two but you're going to be left with 4 rocks visible which is a unnatural amount. What length is your tank?

Bigger rocks needed I believe.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode