29 gallon low tech - The Planted Tank Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
29 gallon low tech

After taking a 3 plus year hiatus from the hobby I am back. I have finally gotten into a trucking job that will allow me to home enough to take care of an aquarium. So far I have the hard scape completed and am now planning what plants to get. Due to my job I am only home twice a week so I am definitely going to have to put plants in that require little maintenance. I know I want to put in some crypt wendtii red, Anubias nana , maybe some jungle vail in the background behind the rocks. I am open to suggestions just keep it low maintenance. I am still in the process of getting the starting equipment but here is a list of what I have up and running so far.

Finnex planted + 24/7

Fluval 306 canister filter

Fluval stratum for sub strait.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170903_201144.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	786818
rasaccount and rasaccount like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I decided to move the tank from the office to the living room, yeah big mistake. It destroyed the aquascape and I had to redo it. I got a few plants in today so here are some updated pics.

1 pod Bucephalandra Green

1 Hygrophila Corymbosa " small "

1 Crypt Beckettii

2 Microsorium Pteropus
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	21432779_1864341610249177_6333619256749539057_n.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	787890  

Name:	21557597_1864341613582510_2348771579623416979_n.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	787898  

Name:	21462893_1864341616915843_6609392983408027312_n.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	787906  

Last edited by shawnwaldon; 09-10-2017 at 07:16 AM. Reason: I want to
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 02:02 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
This looks really promising! Really enjoy the hardscape and I can't wait for the plants to fill in more. It's a shame you're only home two days a week, but you're definitely picking the right plants your situation. Excited to see it grow out.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you I am excited two. I purposely chose plants that will fill in around the rocks quite nicely but not get so big that they completely cover the rocks. I think that look is more natural. I am definitely not done with the plants for sure. I am looking into some type of floor cover plant for the right side of the aquarium and some type of red plant for the background of the left side next to the stream. My issue with finding a good hearty floor covering plant is I don't have CO2 and wont for awhile if ever. As I said earlier I am open to suggestions.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well got my next set of plants in today and have some fish in the tank now. I will do the planting tomorrow. After working almost 70 hours since Sunday and driving 2200 plus miles this week I am too tired to plant everything tonight. Will get some pics up once everything is in and the tank clears up.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 03:06 PM
Algae Grower

Very nice hardscape and plantings so far! I look forward to seeing what other plants you have selected.

For an easy carpet I would suggest mounting riccia fluitans mats to flat river stone or slate rock using fishing line. There is a seller on eBay that distributes already grown, super thick riccia mats approximately 4" x 4" in size (not sure if they ship to your particular area). This plant does not typically require CO2 and you won't have to wait for the carpet to grow in.

Have you considered adding some floating plants? Dwarf water lettuce is a particular favorite of mine.

Keep us updated!! Looking very good so far.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 01:37 AM
Algae Grower

Looking good. I myself have a 29 gallon. I think its one of the harder tanks to scape.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for the suggestion GouramiVillage. I already had a carpet plant ready to go but after putting it in I am not sure if I like it or not. I will give it a couple months to see how it goes. I am also thinking of putting Riccia on parts of the rocks later. So everything is in and the aquarium is done for now. I was very pleased with the plants I ordered from Planted Aquarium Central. All of them were in good condition when they arrived. I actually had to cut down the Crypt because it was massive and way to big for where I wanted to put it. I am used to buying plants from my LFS and you don't get very much so that was what I was expecting from this order. Much to my surprise every plant was almost fully grown and they gave me more then I needed. So enough babbling from me here is an updated list and some pics.

Finnex planted+ 24/7

Fluval 306 canister filter

Via Aqua 150w heater

Fluval shrimp stratum

Local person's trace elements mix

Flourish Exel

Stock list:

Koi Swordtail 5 Female and 1 male

Bucephalandra Green

Hygrophila Corymbosa " small "

Crypt Beckettii

Microsorium Pteropus

Ludwigia Glandulosa

Micranthemum Tweedie "monte carlo"

Pigmy Chain Sword

Cryptocoryne Wendtii Red
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	finished aquarium 3.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	789922  

Name:	finished aquarium 2.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	789930  

Name:	untitled.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	789938  

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 01:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Excel needs to be dosed daily. Have you seen the little kits on Amazon for DIY CO2? It hooks up 2 - 2 liter bottles and has an adjustment valve and pressure gauge.. it's like $14... you could also use a little Hagen Elite mini filter that costs about $15 to disperse the C02. You would need to mix up a new batch of yeast / sugar every 2 weeks or so. After years of low tech struggle I finally came to the realization that C02 saves alot of heart ache and frustration as well as plant costs...
It's rare to see a good amount of success with new tanks without C02.. and they will never be as lush or "grown in" looking as CO2 enhanced tanks. You will be MUCH happier with a little C02. Mix up a batch and you're done for 2 weeks...
The tank looks promising!

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for the suggestion. My wife is the one that takes care of the daily tank maintenance. We will be investing in a co2 system in a couple months though, but no DIY setup. My wife is putting up with it for now, but doesn't want to continue doing it for a long time so I need to make sure the tank is as automated as possible. My plan is to get an aquarium controller for a reef tank and get things set up to be a really low maintenance tank.

This is my first time dealing with a carpet plant so some advice would be appreciated.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 11:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnwaldon;10 484554
Thank you for the suggestion. My wife is the one that takes care of the daily tank maintenance. We will be investing in a co2 system in a couple months though, but no DIY setup. My wife is putting up with it for now, but doesn't want to continue doing it for a long time so I need to make sure the tank is as automated as possible. My plan is to get an aquarium controller for a reef tank and get things set up to be a really low maintenance tank.

This is my first time dealing with a carpet plant so some advice would be appreciated.
Monte Carlo makes a great carpet, but you have to plant it right. I broke it up into as small of pieces as I could and planted them one by one in the area that I wanted to carpet. No chunks or big groupings. When you plant it right you should see very little Monte Carlo. It will begin to sprout up in a few days. It must be periodically trimmed back or the parts on the bottom that become grown over will start to brown and rot. You really should take out all those masses and set aside a few hours to do it right otherwise it will never grow in the way you want it.

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was curious rather or not it was planted in the best manner. I only had a few minutes to do some research and I saw them planted like I did it and the way you suggested. I just decided to take the easy way out and attach them to rocks. I really don't like the way it looks so I think I will replant them the way you suggest. Thanks for the tip.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well got the ok to order the Co2 system from my wife so it will be on its way soon. Ordered a 5lbs bottle, regulator, line, and other things needed to install it. I am going to make an inline reactor for it out of pvc and some of my bio balls I have leftover from an old tank. I also ordered some uniseals so I can make an inline heater setup to. I want to get as much of the equipment out of the main display as possible. Looks like I will be busy again with the aquarium in a couple weeks. Once I get it all set up I will have to take some pics of all the gear in the aquarium stand.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well I lost one of the fish today and I noticed some melting on a lot of the plants. Looks like the Crypt is coming back though. I also started replanting the Monte Carlo the way that was suggested by another user. I really like it this way much better than the way I had it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ymail-tmp--546206322_1505978347166.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	791234  

Name:	ymail-tmp-176209976_1505978365435.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	791242  

Name:	ymail-tmp-2013580223_1505978381506.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	791250  

post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 12:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
I've had good luck with MC. I have a planted+ on my Spec V, pics though the link in signature.
Let it get a good hold into the substrate, grow it out to about 1" thick(tall), after that I'd keep it around " thick. If it starts to yellow underneath or de-root, trim it shorter.

75g Tank Journal:

Forest's Edge:

Tags
29 gallon low tech, finnex planted+, fluval canister filter, fluval stratum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode