• 2 Post By Garifuna
  • 2 Post By SKYE.__.HIGH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My first planted tank: Nuvo 20 black build

Hey guys!

I've been posting questions building up to the start of my tank and I feel I am far enough along to start a build thread. Here are the details:

Tank: Nuvo Fusion 20 Black
  • Nice tinted background
Filter: Fluval C3
  • Running what it came with for now, will replace carbon for purigen and add seachem matrix slowly to replace the bio media it comes with.
Light: 24Ē Beamswork DA FSPEC
  • I got the timer that works with it. Super easy to work with, love it.
  • QUESTION: Do you think Iíll need to get the dimmer? I donít want to battle algae the whole time. I will be planting heavily and will be using diy CO2 with citric acid and baking powder.
Fertilizer: Thinking about buying the set for EI method from Greenleaf. Thoughts?

Heater: 75w Eheim Jager

Substrate: Seachem Flourite Black (2 bags, about 30lbs)
  • Just started rinsing this last night, Iím not sure 2 bags will be enough.
Hardscape: 10lbs of Seiryu stone and 1 medium piece of branch wood ordered from AFA

Plants: I only want 3-5 types of plants in the tank to keep it easy.
  • Foreground: I really like dwarf baby tears or dwarf hairgrass
  • Midground: Iím pretty stuck on Alteranthera Reineckii ďminiĒ though I would appreciate suggestions.
  • Background: This is where Iím having issues, I have no idea what to put in the back. I know some sort of stem plant but I donít know what would go well with what I have chosen so far. PLEASE HELP!!!
  • I will be buying enough plants to cover 80-90% of the tank, so it will be very heavily planted from the beginning. From what I understand, that makes it easier.
  • Any suggestions for any type of plant would be greatly appreciated.
Livestock
  • 11ish Chili Rasboras
  • 7ish Rummynose Tetras
  • Amano shrimp
  • Some sort of bottom dweller. (Necessary if I have amano shrimp?)
  • Obviously this is the final list. I wonít be dumping all these fish in at once.
Layout:
I plan to have the wood on the right side of the tank and the stone drift to the left side of the tank from the wood. I like the idea of having sort of a negative space on the left side of the tank. I will carpet the front of the tank and put the AR ďminiĒ among the wood and stones. From that point Iím sort of stuck on what to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Well, I know that was long and I hope you were able to get through it. Iím excited to get this started and show you guys how it goes.

Ps, I will post pics of the tank and set up later tonight!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

...bump?
SKYE.__.HIGH and SKYE.__.HIGH like this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 06:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Lol, I think most people started to read your post but then they decided to quit while they were still ahead. They didn't want to get 2 hours into reading to answer a couple questions. LOL, JK. Anyways on to Q & A.

1/dimmer) I would get the dimmer if I were you, it will allow you to fully maximize the light. Without it, it's either on or off. If you ever were going on a vacation or what not you could dim it for slower growth and insurance for algae growth.

2/green leaf ferts) yup, I think of all dry ferts as the same it's just how the quantity and container correlate with the price. I have some from both GLA and nilocG. NilocG is going to be cheaper on average (I believe).

3/substrate) start with 2 bags if that's not enough you can put lava rock rubble under neath to boosted it up a little.

4/plants) I really love dwarf hairgrass belem, and Monte Carlo is much like HC just not at all as demanding.

AR mini would work fine but I am very partial to Anubis nana petite for a foreground, especially a nice cluster of them.

Here's a few stem plants that I like and others like on this forum. I didn't ad any that are super demanding and I think almost all of them are "medium" in the ease to grow rating. A couple of them are not quite background plants but I like them so your gonna just have to look at them (LoL).

5/Fish) I like the chili's but if you bump that rummy school up, they will actually school. Rummys school very nicely in bigger schools. I am going to be putting right around 50 in 65 gallon of mine in the next couple of months. Amanos are my saving grace for when it come to algae, and they will be yours too. No bottom dwellers are "needed". But Cory's are really cute and a group of 4 or 5 would look nice.

6/scape) TBH I have no clue what the vision is until you post a picture, but once I see a picture I will be able to fully help you with that too. Hope it helps, make sure to post pics.

-Skye

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 02:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Rotala rotundifolia for background plants is always a good choice. Maybe Lysimachia nummularia. But you really have a big amount of options.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I know it's been a while since I posted on here, but I have the best reason!

I have a DAUGHTER!!

As you can imagine it's been a crazy time recently.

Here are a couple pictures of what I have in mind. The layout changed from the fts to the pic of the plant layout.

Click image for larger version

Name:	layout.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	789482

Click image for larger version

Name:	plant layout.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	789490

Here in the legend for the plant layout pic:
(all plants from AFA except the Eleocharis parvula)

Red Stars: Ludwigia Repens "Super Red"
Red Circles: AR "Mini"
Light Green: Eleocharis Parvula
Dark Green Circles: Anubias Nana Petite
Dark Green Hexagons: Will shift to the left and be Rotala Rotudifolia Green
Dark Green Squares: Anubias Nana Gold? Not quite sure yet.

I will also use Peacock moss on the driftwood.
SKYE.__.HIGH and SKYE.__.HIGH like this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 03:33 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Congrats for the daughter. I like planed scape.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 04:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Congrats on the tank.............................................. .and the kid too, I guess.

LOL, Just kidding

Best thing that can happen to a man
1)wife
2)kids
3) boat
4) when you get rid of your boat

Tanks looking good, and is on track to look even better.

Garifuna and Garifuna like this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 11:11 PM
Algae Grower

haha, congratz man!
tank is going to be awesome, but I'm sure you're quite busy with other things right now XD
enjoy every moment of it

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the input! It'll probably be a few weeks before I get the plants. I'm soaking the wood now.

Should I put tabs in the gravel from the beginning? Will it cause algae problems?

This is our first child so this dad thing is taking some getting used to haha.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 03:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

update on the tank?
really thinking about the nuvo 20 or 30 for my 1st planted tank.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 10:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYE.__.HIGH View Post
Congrats on the tank.............................................. .and the kid too, I guess.

LOL, Just kidding

Best thing that can happen to a man
1)wife
2)kids
3) boat
4) when you get rid of your boat

Tanks looking good, and is on track to look even better.

The acronym for BOAT is Bust Out Another Thousand. And two of the best days of your life are the day you buy a boat......and the day you sell it.

My tank journal.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey all! So, the tank has been up and running for about 2 weeks and things are looking pretty ugly. I have fish in there and they are doing great! I have 6 Kubotai Rasboras from aquatic arts. I unfortunately have not bought any plants yet but plan to in January once we get past Christmas.

I'll post pictures of what it looks like tomorrow.

Question, will the brown diatoms go away on their on or should I clean in up constantly?

Also starting to get a little bit of hair algae.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 08:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My first planted tank: Nuvo 20 black build

Lots of water changes, scrub at your hearts content, does a little metricide (glut), and lower your lighting. The most basic ways on getting rid of algae

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode