Forest's Edge - The Planted Tank Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Forest's Edge

New Tank! Just acquired this beautifully over grown jungle through a fellow hobbyist. He's getting out of the hobby and donated the entire setup to me.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4781.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	786290
It's a 30 gallon (36x13x17 inch) with a planted plus 24/7, heater, Aquaclear70 and that giant powerhead. Looks just like this, just set up in my basement now lol.

Here's the plan! I'd like to do a Forest's Edge aquascape with a fallen tree and an open meadow area. The forest will cover about 1/3 with the other half being open grass & shrubs.

Name:	30 gallon.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	786282
Ideally I will shell out the cash for Aquasoil. I have a spec V with aquasoil, planted plus 24/7 set up, the MC is doing great! I'm looking for spider wood to make the trees, hopefully I can find enough to really get the right pieces for the space. I think I will pick up a canister filter off Craigslist (or here if someone has a Fluval for cheap) and try to hid the inlet, outlet and heater in the forest. Stocking will likely be shrimp and CPD/(other small fish that might like the open space better) and maybe a betta.

The tank is very much in the concept stage right now haha, but I wanted to start a journal as I never did for my other tanks. Need to find somewhere to put all that jungle val! Let me know you thoughts!!

75g Tank Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forest's Edge:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Vinster8108; 09-01-2017 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 02:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I like it, and that professionally dawn model is lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 02:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Location: Park City KS (Our House consists of, 4 glass boxes 5 miniature dachshunds and a black cat)
Keep us posted, I am looking forward to seeing how it develops.

Take only pictures, leave only footprints.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 05:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

Cool idea.

It is pretty hard to make a fallen tree look natural I tried it to. I would recommend to practice a lot with the hardscape before setting up.

Remember to cut/saw pieces of spiderwood to make the "perfect" pieces.

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 06:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I love the Idea you drew. It looks really, really nice. Only thing I would change, or add, is some Staurogyne repens in patches close to the "trees" right before the Monte carlo, and in the right, where you have the Pogostemon, I would add a central AR 'mini' surrounded by some Pogostemon helferi - to add a really impacting red accent... Just some suggestions.

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 03:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Any updates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hey all, sorry nothing at the moment to update on. I cleaned up the current scape a bit, will post a pic later today. Still scavenging equipment and accruing plants for the new year, planning on diving into this tank January 1st!
I'm actually finishing up my Master's (in Environmental Engineering) along with my research this semester, so not a lot of free time right now. Hopefully Christmas will brings aquasoil and spiderwood

75g Tank Journal:

Forest's Edge:
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thinned things out a bit and swapped in a different powerhead. There were a couple swords hidden in the val jungle haha.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5416.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	795770  

75g Tank Journal:

Forest's Edge:
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm thinking of what background would be best for this tank. The tank is currently painted black, but I'm leaning towards a frosted glass. Then I could play around with different back-lighting too. Thoughts?

75g Tank Journal:

Forest's Edge:
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinster8108 View Post
I'm thinking of what background would be best for this tank. The tank is currently painted black, but I'm leaning towards a frosted glass. Then I could play around with different back-lighting too. Thoughts?
I think black looks best makes the colors pop out more. My tank came with frosted back glass but if i would redo my scape i'd make it black. Back lightning is nice if your scape is build for a sunset kind of thing.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G903F met Tapatalk
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Name:	IMG_6041.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	816466

Picked up some spiderwood and made a box to work through some scapes. Aquasoil is on the way in the mail. I also cleaned out the tank and picked up another 5# CO2 tank and an aquatek regulator off craigslist. Things are coming together!

Haven't decided if I will do the DSM or try and flood right away. leaning towards the yogurt method for the mosses with DSM and flooding relatively early.

I picked up a frosted glass laminate but really did not like how "sparkly" it was. Will be looking around for another option.

75g Tank Journal:

Forest's Edge:
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 05:22 PM
Algae Grower

I'm excited to see how this comes out!
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

trial and error

Took a few tries at scapeing the forest. Defiantly gonna need a few more. I think I found the perfect piece for the fallen tree. I has a nice knotted hole in it and seems to fit well with the scale of my layout. Let me know what you think!

Still working on finding a balance between placing enough trees and having a manageable scape. I want to be able to get around everything to trim the moss and stuff. I also have to keep everything like 2 inches away from the glass to get the algae scrapper in between everything. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Here's the best 3 so far. Too many trees or not enough? Sorry about the washing machine really throwing the balance off haha.

Name:	IMG_6080.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	819658

Name:	IMG_6081.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	819666

Name:	IMG_6088.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	819674

75g Tank Journal:

Forest's Edge:
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 11:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Have you looked at @Nigel95 scapes. He has some very nice Forest Scapes and seems to be working a lot on perfecting them.
Nigel95 and Nigel95 like this.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 02:04 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinster8108 View Post
Took a few tries at scapeing the forest. Defiantly gonna need a few more. I think I found the perfect piece for the fallen tree. I has a nice knotted hole in it and seems to fit well with the scale of my layout. Let me know what you think!

Still working on finding a balance between placing enough trees and having a manageable scape. I want to be able to get around everything to trim the moss and stuff. I also have to keep everything like 2 inches away from the glass to get the algae scrapper in between everything. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Here's the best 3 so far. Too many trees or not enough? Sorry about the washing machine really throwing the balance off haha.

Attachment 819658

Attachment 819666

Attachment 819674

of these three, I like the middle one most

Aqueon 120 gallon community (planted)
ADA 120p - 65 gallon community (planted)
Eclipse system II tall - 30 gallon - mixed community (non planted)
AGA 20 gallon - lake Tanganyika shell dwellers (semi planted)
6.6 gallon nano planted red cherry shrimp (planted)

Tags
aquascape, dwarf hair grass, fluval plant 2.0, forest, monte carlo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode