My First Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
My First Tank

After walking around in a local fish store that had a few planted tanks, I knew I wanted to have one. I started researching basic fish keeping and eventually moved on to what I would need to have a tank like the ones I saw online. After a year of reading and planning I decided to give it a shot.

The Stand:
First step was to build a stand, which I did using materials I had around the house from a previous project. I based it on a design I saw in a youtube video, and kept it open to show off the equipment I bout to run on the tank.
Name:  IMG_4641.JPG
Views: 34
Size:  44.4 KB

The Tank:
I got the Ultum Nature Systems 60U 23.62 x 14.17 x 14.17 (20.5 gallon) tank because I liked the rimless look and the low iron glass they use. Pretty much a cheeper alternative to ADA

Equipment:

Filter: Eheim Ecco Pro 200
Lighting: Finnex Ray2
CO2: GLA Gro-1 Regulator, Atomic Inline Diffuser, 5LB CO2 tank
Fertilization: PPS-Pro Fertilizer Package from GLA, Jeboa DP-4 Dosing Pump
Heater: Hydor ETH 200 Inline Heater
Substrate: ADA Amazonia powder type
Name:  IMG_4813.JPG
Views: 31
Size:  54.2 KBName:  IMG_4814.JPG
Views: 25
Size:  54.6 KB

The Story:
A few months ago I started to cycle the filter using the fishes cycle in a bare tank. After the tank was cycled, I added the substrate and planted as much as I could trying to recreate the look I had in my head. don't know how it looks to everyone else but I was happy with what I came up with the first try.
Name:  IMG_4815.JPG
Views: 30
Size:  48.7 KBName:  IMG_4816.JPG
Views: 31
Size:  66.2 KBName:  IMG_4828.JPG
Views: 30
Size:  52.1 KBName:  IMG_4830.JPG
Views: 34
Size:  58.2 KB

I started to see snails from the plants I bought, so after testing the water for a few days to make sure ammonia was staying at 0, I went out and bought some pea puffers to fight back. I never actually saw them eat any but in a couple days there wasn't any snails in sight. After their job was done I returned them to where I got them from and got a few ottos and shrimp.
Name:  IMG_4868.JPG
Views: 26
Size:  60.1 KB

A couple weeks later I got myself a pair of Sky Blue Albino Guppies. The female I picked was a little chubby and I was homing she bight be bringing a few baby guppies with her.
Name:  IMG_4875.JPG
Views: 23
Size:  66.7 KBName:  IMG_4878.JPG
Views: 28
Size:  57.3 KB

Looks like I was right because on 8/22/17 I had 8 guppy fry swimming around the tank. I quickly put them in a fish net breeder just in case mom and dad/step dad got a little hungry. Everyone is doing good so far.
Name:  IMG_4892.JPG
Views: 26
Size:  67.4 KB

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode