Help me set up my 55g planted tank and progress - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation Help me set up my 55g planted tank and progress

I will document as I go along this journey which I still don't know much about.

Hi all!
I finally have a stand set up. It was a long progress personally because I couldn't find any that didn't cost over $300 that was stable enough to ease my anxiety. I did a two day water test a week ago and there is no leak and so it's empty again on the ground.

Now on to substrate. I was going to go with organic miracle grow potting mix and top it off because that seems the cheapest. But I don't know what to top it off with and it just seems hard to do the more I read because there is no consensus. I've read the forums, but there's like a dozen different variations to do it and I don't know which one to choose so I gave up on figuring out what I'm suppose to do with the miracle gro. I'm not handy dandy so I'm afraid I'm going to mess up trying. Unless you can convince me with advice on how to use it in an easy step by step guide, I want to what can I buy that won't really break my bank that is good enough to grow plants that I can just throw in the tank? I can't do co2 or tabs because I don't know what they are reading them on this forum. Call me dumb on the topic of aquariums, idc, maybe after a year or two, I'll finally understand how it all work and will give it a try. Right now I just want to start having plants and fish and I already have a month delay because starting up is harder and taking longer than expected.

I also bought 2 24" Aqueon hood and when I got it, the light bulb is way smaller than what I expected for what I paid! They're T5 and only one per hood so there's only two T5 for the whole tank. I regret buying it but I'm keeping it because light is another thing that is hella confusing to figure out what I need.

So yeah, what substrate should I buy so I can start this thing already. I was going to go with eco-complete but I read it sucks in nutrient and slow to help plants thrive and grow. It seems to be noob friendly since it's the only thing sold at Petco so I'm most likely getting it unless anyone can point me in the right direction. I'm so stressed and tired of figuring it all out that I just wanna throw fish in there and call it good. Can I do that and add substrate and plants later on or will it kill the fish.

Sorry for this ranty post, I just had to get it off my chest that this is more than I can handle and with such a big tank but I won't give up despite multiple mistakes already. I'm too invested in it financially to walk away and I really want fish. Help me get over this start-up hump that makes me feel incompetent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Any advice throughout my progress of setting up my 55 gallon planted dwarf puffer tank is appreciated. TIA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode