Brian's ADA 60p - Revival v3 Journal - The Planted Tank Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Brian's ADA 60p - Revival v3 Journal

Hey TPT community, I'm back! After a looong hiatus and moving around a couple of times, I finally settled in my new place and decided to revive my ADA 60p. Some of you that got to know me through this great hobby can attest to my appreciation and passion for planted tanks. While life got in the way of some fun things I got to spend my free time on, I managed to preserve my love for these mini eco-systems we get to create... hence my return! Too bad I didn't take all this time off to study layout skills. I think my aquascape ability has not improved, unfortunately...but I'll give it a go regardless... LOL

This was a FTS of my last scape with this tank:

Instead of reviving my old 60p thread on this tank, thought I'd start on a fresh slate here.

So here's the skinny:

Tank: ADA 60p - (17g = 24" X 12" X 14")
Lighting: 2x Ecoxotic E-Series
Filter: (Not Sure Yet)
Substrate: ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia + Sand (Yup, back to the sandy beach front)
Hardscape: Ohko Stone

Plants:
HC
Staurogyne repens
Alternanthera reineckii Mini
**Might add something else in the back. Either Blyxa japonica or a stem plant like Rotala macrandra red or something.

Without further ado, some pics:

Conduit Light Hanger DIY project + Ecoxotic E-Series hanging kit! Dual ramp timer enabled for photoperiod and moonlighting automation

Added faux potted green grass decor on the sides to fill the gap between the tank and wall):

Slight modification to the hardscape... I felt that eventually the smaller Ohko stones were going to get harder to see as the plants grew. So I decided to place a much larger dominant stone. Let the DSM (dry start method) commence!

About my Ohko stones, I got my hands on some excellent layout material, Ohko stones, from Aquatic Mag.
I mean, just look at these beauties!

Thanks for any comments and critiques

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
| [
]

Last edited by Brian_Cali77; 09-02-2017 at 07:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 11:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Glad to have you back Brian! I have learned much from watching your builds.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 02:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
I looked over your previous tank version. I look forward to seeing this one. I also have a 60p, but I fight with it every week. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Well, actually it isn't in too bad a shape these days, but you know how we are. We notice every imperfection in our own setups. I think I just need to start over with mine. The Aquasoil I used was 10 years old (long story), and now I have some fresh. I have enough experience in this hobby to be able to do this which is most frustrating. So thanks for the inspiration. I'll be watching.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcutl002 View Post
Glad to have you back Brian! I have learned much from watching your builds.
Thanks.. Think i caught the bug again because I'm already contemplating on adding a 12g long to my MTS addiction! Lol.. Glad I was an enabler in helping you learn in this great hobby of ours!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

|
|
|
|
|
| [
]
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Belton View Post
I looked over your previous tank version. I look forward to seeing this one. I also have a 60p, but I fight with it every week. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Well, actually it isn't in too bad a shape these days, but you know how we are. We notice every imperfection in our own setups. I think I just need to start over with mine. The Aquasoil I used was 10 years old (long story), and now I have some fresh. I have enough experience in this hobby to be able to do this which is most frustrating. So thanks for the inspiration. I'll be watching.
I think the 60p has just the right proportions to hit a sweet spot of not too small nor too big and allows for some flexibility in aquascaping to achieve the look of being bigger than it really is, if the scape is good. Yeah I think you'll notice an improvement in replacing a decades old substrate! What light are you using? High tech or low? Thanks for following.

|
|
|
|
|
| [
]
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 10:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
Yeah I think you'll notice an improvement in replacing a decades old substrate!
Well, it had never been used. It was still dry in the bag. It had been moved many times though. I feel like it might have been physically broken down some which led to issues with it chemically (fertilizing ability) Just an idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
What light are you using? High tech or low?
Definitely high tech. I have a Current Satellite Plus Pro
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Fast forward a few months.. We have growth! DSM in full effect. Geez, didn't know S. Repens can grow that tall emersed! I'll need to trim it down before the great flood. Also, a lot of it was just temporary as I plan to have something different in the back. S. Repens have a pretty robust root system so I'm dreading yanking some out. Yup never kicked the habit of wanting too many plant species. What's that syndrome called again? Lol

[IMG]https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4302/35699292750_52c7def468_b.jpg
[/IMG]

|
|
|
|
|
| [
]
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

It's about that time, time for the flood!

Trimmed the ultra tall S. Repens down. Trimmed some AR Mini and replanted the stems.

Used my floating breeder box to help disperse water to not disturb the substrate:

FTS... I'm eventually going to remove some S. Repens as I like that plant to be more compact as a midground. Thinking of throwing some tall grassy plant in the back like blyxa aubertii, Hygrophilia angustifolia, Eleocharis montevidensis, or cyperus helferi. I'm also thinking to add some extra small pieces of ohko stone I have and tie some mini fissidens for dark green breaks between the HC and maybe add more small stones tied with Riccia fluitans. I just hope my HC and other plants handle the transition from emergent growth to immersed.

Right now I'm using my Fluval C2 HOB filter. But given that I took the extra time to make the DIY conduit light hanger, I'm thinking I'm not doing this re-build justice by still going with that. So I dug out my old and first-ever canister, the fluval 106 from the garage. Cleaned her up. I just need to test it to make sure it's still working and the seals are still good. Also, still have my old lily piples from Cal Aqua Labs... geez, they need some elbow grease too! I'll see when I can muster-up the energy and time to setup the lily pipes. For now, the C2 will have to do.

xmas_one and xmas_one like this.

|
|
|
|
|
| [
]
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 06:12 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
looks great so far!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thank you, Tnalp!

|
|
|
|
|
| [
]
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Looks like the HC is liking the CO2 and light output from the E-Series.

Oh the pearling is all so great and pleasing to the eyes!

Ben Belton and Ben Belton like this.

|
|
|
|
|
| [
]
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 10:42 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Welcome back! How long did you do DSM for? Can't make it out by the post dates, looks like a week or so, but I'm sure it took longer than that. I'm staring my 60 now myself and am opting for the DSM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquil View Post
Welcome back! How long did you do DSM for? Can't make it out by the post dates, looks like a week or so, but I'm sure it took longer than that. I'm staring my 60 now myself and am opting for the DSM.
Thanks. It was about a few months. I had a weird mold that made most of it die out but after a little TLC, and a good amount of spot treatment with H2O2, I got the survivors to bounce back. I think initially I had too much humidity and didn't air it out enough. I bought a cheap $2 Analog Hygrometer and kept it around 80%. I'm going to post updated pics soon..

|
|
|
|
|
| [
]
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Update Time...

Did a PWC and pulled some S. Repens out to make room for some plants I managed to scrape up out of a friend's neglected tank... so I'm not sure if these will stay, but behind the main Ohko stone, I added in Hygrophila Corymbosa Angustifolia for the tall thin leaves, but I'm still thinking of something else there like a tall dwarf hairgrass or something. But this was free so I went with it (for now). In the right corner was some hardly-alive Rotala Macrandra. I'm hoping it'll acclimate and start growing and bounce back from near death. I give it a 50/50 at this point.

I also have a little jar of tissue cultured Riccia Fluitans I acquired a while back. It also looks barely alive because I had it in the jar for a couple of months and tried to remember turning on a little desk LED lamp to keep it going (yeah, lazy to use a timer). There is some green left, so there's hope. On the plus side, I do have some Mini Fissidens that look in great shape!

Anyways, here's my night project... took some small river rocks and used a bath loofah's netting to wrap the rocks with the Riccia attached. Twisted the bottoms and used zip ties to hold them. Cut the extra loofah and zip tie off... voilą, Riccia stones! Hope they grow in to make nice bushes!

Lastly, took the Mini Fissidens and used 2lbs test fishingline to tie them to some small pieces of Ohko. These should grow in nicely to add dark green breaks to the light green in the HC and Riccia.

FTS:

|
|
|
|
|
| [
]
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

FTS from a distance! Nice view from my reading chair

|
|
|
|
|
| [
]

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode