After years of keeping a large reef tank I decided to set up a 40B planted tank in my office. I enjoyed it so much I am now in the process of setting up a 280 gal Jungle style planted tank in my living room. Thankfully, I can use everything I already have with a few simple and inexpensive changes, i.e. different bulbs in metal halides, using sump for filtration, etc.
This weekend was final clean up and installation of substrate, using flora max and root tabs. Got the driftwood in place also. Yesterday and today concentrated on ordering plants- good thing I didn't have to buy lights or canister filter- Phew!
Hopefully, I can start adding water and plants sometime after Wednesday and get some pictures up.
I had posted the above when I first joined the forum in beginning of August. At the time I had not even thought about a journal, but have since decided it would be nice to have a place to go back and look at the progress - or even lack thereof- in the future. This should be helpful as from time to time I may go off on a tangent. For instance- if you notice in the first paragraph I stated "Jungle Tank". I meant it when I typed it. But then I saw some pretty stem plants and Ooooo colors! Then I saw some Discus and oooo planted Discus tank!!!!
So like I said... I may go off on a tangent or two.
For equipment I have reused most things I already had from reef tank with a few changes.
280 gallon tank with overflow 8 ft. long x 2 ft. deep x 31 inches tall
60 gallon sump
1 light fixture housing 3-250watt metal halides, 4-80 watt T5 HO. At the moment only running 2 of the MH with 6500K bulbs.
There is a heater, but off the top of my head can not remember specs.
Just Floramax with root tabs
12 Bloodfin tetras
7 Peppered Corys
5 baby bristlenose plecos
Rotala wallichii - Remember the Ooooo pretty color stem plant from above? Yep! That's the culprit!
After getting plants in place on Aug. 9th, I was excited to finish filling the tank and standing back to take a look. Unfortunately, I only got the tank a little over half full when I realized my driftwood was...drifting. (insert face palm here) Okay look, I KNOW you have to soak wood for it to sink. I literally had and still have tons of smaller pieces soaking. But these 2 large pieces- between getting them, cutting them to fit- that whole soaking thing got forgotten. So.. driftwood was drifting. Luckily, I had rocks. Actually used all my rocks to hold them down but it worked.
Not very pretty, but rather funny! So here is a picture of said driftwood laden with rocks:
Sorry about lighting, was having to use a floor lamp at the moment. I will post a whole tank shot later this evening using the regular lights.