50 gallon cube - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
50 gallon cube

Hello Everybody, I am going to be starting a new 50 gallon cube aquarium. I used to have an account on planted tank long ago, but I have been on hiatus from the hobby for the last few years. Now that I have some time on my hands, I am a student again, I thought it would be a good time to restart the planted tank hobby.

To start I decided to get a bigger tank than I had previously, so I opted for a 50 gallon cube from sc aquariums. It is their plug and play system with predrilled overflow and a sump that comes with a stand. I opted for a white stand as well.

This will be the first time trying a sump with an aquarium as I usually chose eheim canisters in the past.

I haven't chosen any kind of plants or stocking yet. I am trying to decide if I want any hardscape stones or wood or if I should go dutch.

Thank you to those who have read to this point. Let a new journey begin.

Other Equipment:

Lighting
1. Fluval Fresh and planted2.0

Substrate
1. 3*9liter aqua soil

co2
1. GLA co2 system with a 5lb tank
2. GLA diffuser ( I wanted to go inline but the tubing for the return of the sump was way too big)

Plants

1.Ludwigia Arcuata ◊ 1

2.Ammania Gracilis ◊ 1

3.Ammania Senegalensis ◊ 1

4.Rotala Wallichii ◊ 2

5.Rotala Indica ◊ 2

6.Ludwigia Inclinata ◊ 2

1. Alternanthera reineckii "Telanthera Cardinalis Roseafolia" -

2. Staurogyne repens -

3. Hemianthus callitrichoides "Dwarf Baby Tears"

4. Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini' -

5. Hygrophila 'Araguaia' -

6. Rotala macrandra -

7. Limnophilia aromatica

8. myrio mini

Edit: Tank as of Sept 14 2017

Edit: Tank as of Sept26

My Tank Journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by loveflying1991; 09-27-2017 at 01:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thought I would do an update on how my preparation is progressing.

As I said in my first post, I have ordered the tank, co2 system and lights. I already received the lights, but I am still waiting on the tank. It was supposed to come tomorrow morning but the delivery has been delayed to Friday morning.

As for the co2 system, it has taken awhile for that to get moving. Apparently gla has a 7 day build period for co2 system orders, so my system should be shipping this Friday. Hopefully, it doesn't take too long to get to me from then.

I do have a bit of a situation that I was hoping members here could give me some advice on.

In anticipation of my tank arriving on Thursday, I ordered some plants online from substrate source and buceplants today. Substrate source was able to ship the plants already!

I think that the plants from substrate source will be arriving this Friday and buceplants sometime early next week. ... Just got word that buceplants also shipped today! Got word as I was typing this post.

My question then is whether I should do short dry start method for my plants. Because I don't have co2 yet, I am hesitant to plant and flood the tank, but I don't want to keep my plants in their packaging over the weekend.

Do you guys think it would be better to do dry start method until the co2 arrives or should I just plant and fill right away and keep a very short photo period?

Any thoughts or opinions welcome.

Just as a note it appears that all buceplants stems are already transitioned to submerged growth.

Also, I don't have my ferts yet but I am using aquasoil so I think that should hold me over if I do go submerged right away?

Plant List

from Buce

1.Ludwigia Arcuata ◊ 1
2.Ammania Gracilis ◊ 1
3.Ammania Senegalensis ◊ 1
4.Rotala Wallichii ◊ 2
5.Rotala Indica ◊ 2
6.Ludwigia Inclinata ◊ 2

from Substrate

1. Alternanthera reineckii "Telanthera Cardinalis Roseafolia" -
2. Staurogyne repens -
3. Hemianthus callitrichoides "Dwarf Baby Tears"
4. Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini' -
5. Hygrophila 'Araguaia' -
6. Rotala macrandra -
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Plants came! I am storing them as seen in photos until tank is ready in a few days. Does anyone have tips on storing tissue culture and submerged stems?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

My Tank Journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tanks has arrived! Just finished plumbing and am currently doing a test fill.

My Tank Journal
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Pics

My Tank Journal
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 12:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Not sure of the exact dimensions of your tank and I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but I think your really going to need to consider buying a 2nd Plus Pro for your tank. I am running 2 of them (18-24") on my 25 gallon cube with all channels on 60% and I'm probably going to bump them to 70% soon. Especially considering your doing HC.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My tank is 24X24X20inch

20 inches tall but because of the overflow weir, I think that I lose about 4 inches of depth in the back. So more like 24L X 20W X 20H.

I'll see how the one light does for now and if more are needed I'll upgrade.

Thanks for the heads-up though sevendust.

I am currently trying to dial in my return so that I can get a full siphon going and get almost silent running.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

And so it begins

My Tank Journal
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tank is starting to clear up! Just added some ludwigia red and rotala rotundafolia red.

Also my co2 system from GLA came in and I must say they are very good at packaging. Probably the safest packing job I have seen in this hobby.

Here are some photos.

Water is still cloudy but I threw in some purigen and did a couple water changes

My Tank Journal
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 02:26 AM
Algae Grower

Nice setup. I'm curious to see how many CO2 bubble per second is needed to maintain 30 ppm.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl323 View Post
Nice setup. I'm curious to see how many CO2 bubble per second is needed to maintain 30 ppm.
I am also curious about the co2 requirements. I know people say that sumps with weirs tend to off gas...

I am, however, running this overflow with a complete siphon and the waterfall from the weir is a very gentle 2 inch trickle.

I'll report back after I get my co2 tank filled tomorrow.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 03:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Very nice. I like the whole set up. Will an open top sump create co2 gassing issues? I noticed in other threads mr. Barr seems to keep his sumps sealed for that reason. Im building a 60 cube at the moment and considered a sump but because of the aquariums placement chose a canister filter instead.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrypleBerry View Post
Very nice. I like the whole set up. Will an open top sump create co2 gassing issues? I noticed in other threads mr. Barr seems to keep his sumps sealed for that reason. Im building a 60 cube at the moment and considered a sump but because of the aquariums placement chose a canister filter instead.

I have read that the off gassing shouldn't be too bad as long as the weir is making a big splash. I'll set up co2 tomorrow and find out I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Tank Journal
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Co2 is now hooked up and running. Currently at 2bps.

I'll see where that gets me before deciding to up the co2 or not.

My Tank Journal
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Some photo updates.

Thank is still cloudy and it looks like the AR is melting unfortunately ㅠㅠ. However I think the ludwigia inclinata is pearling!

Question for those reading; what time do you start your co2 before the lights go on? I have been starting 1hr before but it takes 3-4hrs for the drop check to change colors. Should I start Co2 earlier?

My Tank Journal

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode