Blackheart's 58 gallon tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Blackheart

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Blackheart's 58 gallon tank

I figured I would start a thread for my newly planted 58 gallon planted tank setup. I have had this tank setup bought since January and finally set it up. It's pretty much been in my living room since collecting dust. I got sidetracked there for awhile but finally got back on track! Was gonna go with a 40B originally, but saw this oddball tank made by Marineland called the 53 gallon. Same as a 40B but 21 inches in height which really comes out to 58 gallons.

Some things I am currently using on/in the tank are...
Aquaclear 70 power filters (2)
Beamswork DA 6500K 0.50W Series LED
Caribsea Super Naturals Sunset gold sand (80 LBS)

Loading the sand up after rinsing

Background on and filling up finally!

Finally there!

Currently ATM I am waiting for the cloudiness in the tank to clear up. I will be soon picking up some plants and begin planting Fish-wise, I used to have Rummy Nose Tetras in my old 55 and I'm thinking a huge school of them to start with and maybe some Bloodfin Tetras possibly when the tank is actually done cycling.
Bradleyv1714 and Bradleyv1714 like this.

Last edited by Blackheart; 08-29-2017 at 07:05 PM. Reason: ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So I have a bit of an update. I have been on vacation for the past four days now so I had some time to go traveling to look for plants. I picked up a decent assortment. I got a few Amazon Swords, several small Crypts, 3 or 4 helpings of Jungle Val, Dwarf Sag and a Madagascar Lace plant which is a first for me.

I'm waiting to see how growth fairs with this batch of plants. I'm currently debating about what and if kind of hardscape I should use in the tank. I see lots of awesome pieces of driftwood around at LFS near me. I almost bought one today but it was 50 bucks I'm on a bit of a budget at the moment. I would also like to upgrade to a canister at some point possibly. Mostly using the Aquaclear 70 pair because it's what I had.

These Crypt Wendtii were really tiny But they were the best looking ones I could find.

This Madagascar Lace looks nice. It also has a flower attached to it which is pretty cool.

A few pics of my lame attempts at aquascaping lol This is mostly just a beginning experiment to see what works well plant-wise in my tank and what doesn't.

Ideas? Suggestions? Feedback? Let me know.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 02:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No CO2? Anyways the lace plant is a beautiful plant. Having 1 big centerpiece plant is always nice. Corkscrew or leopard vals might be better than the regular vals. The dark brown crypts would also look nice against the white substrate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 05:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I really like the light sand. Thats how a fishtank should look!

I know that most new swimming pools have recovered from the black phase, when the novelty of having a dark pool wore off. Hopefully we see more white sand tanks.

I think that people eventually get bored of the "new" and realize the original was the best.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Nope, no C02. This is a low-tech tank. Trying to keep it as easy as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisX View Post
I really like the light sand. Thats how a fishtank should look!

I know that most new swimming pools have recovered from the black phase, when the novelty of having a dark pool wore off. Hopefully we see more white sand tanks.

I think that people eventually get bored of the "new" and realize the original was the best.
Thanks It's actually light brownish. My camera is odd and makes it look lighter than it is. You can kind of tell the real color of it from the first pics in my post. Regardless, I love it. I will probably never go back to gravel or other substrates in my tanks in the future. Sand is very nice and looks so natural. I've done eco, flourite and others in the past and long term I just wasn't happy with the way it looked.

I'm hoping the plants will grow decently in the sand. If not, I might need to add a few root tabs here and there. I also have various other liquid ferts, flourish etc.

Last edited by Blackheart; 08-30-2017 at 06:29 PM. Reason: .
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Not much has changed so far... However the problem with the tank being all cloudy and murky that I have been having lately atm has cleared up. I am still planning on more plants soon and maybe hardscape but need to have a decent check come in first.

The Usual crypt melt... I need to find some more, big crypts as well

But... I think this Madagascar Lace is about to flower again I believe. I don't remember seeing this stem here before when I planted it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode