Changing Substrate in a Tank (return post!) - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By ChrisX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Changing Substrate in a Tank (return post!)

Hello everyone! This is my first post in a while as I've just recently re-kindled my love for the hobby. So currently all of my tanks are dirted with a sand or fine gravel cap, except one. It's a 56 tall but factoring in the scape and all sand bottom it's closer to 50. Since the bottom is only sand you'd image growing much else then simple plants is difficult. My plan would to be to drain water and keep fish in tank water with a bubbler while I scoop out sand, put in a bottom layer of dirt, put the sand back in to cap and then fish and plants. Now I've never done a complete substrate change with out saving most if not all of the water, but I don't have 10 5 gallon buckets for this project. So my question is, is it safe to do this and keep only about 25% of the water? With the filters, plants and sand have enough Bio to put a fully stocked tank back in? I do 50% water changes weekly so it'd essentially just be another 25% for that week. Thanks is advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will Ogburn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 11:27 PM
Algae Grower

If your saving the sand that was in it to put back in I'd think you'd be fine as long as you keep the sand submerged and bacteria alive, if done all in the same day it should be fine. You'll likely want to re acclimate the fish to the new water's temp and everything.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaotickross View Post
If your saving the sand that was in it to put back in I'd think you'd be fine as long as you keep the sand submerged and bacteria alive, if done all in the same day it should be fine. You'll likely want to re acclimate the fish to the new water's temp and everything.

Yep, keeping the sand is a no-brainer. Plan is to do it all with in the course of an hour and obviously I'll prep the dirt prior to draining that way it's efficient as possible.

Will Ogburn

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 12:48 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugburnTanks View Post
Yep, keeping the sand is a no-brainer. Plan is to do it all with in the course of an hour and obviously I'll prep the dirt prior to draining that way it's efficient as possible.

Yeah with all that you should be fine might have a small spike from disrupting the bacteria and anything the soil leeches, but a water change over the next couple days should solve that.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 11:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I don't see the need to save the water if your tap is of similar parameters. There is very little bacteria or anything of much substantial importance in the old tank water. It's all on substrate and other media. You may have a decent ammonia spike from the soil though.. Might work... then again you may have some problems.. just test and be prepared with Prime and water changes.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 01:00 PM
Algae Grower

If you REALLY wanted to save the water, you can tear apart a garbage bags and use it like a condom for your sink. (Store your water in the sink temporarily)

But I don't think the water is as important as people think. It's just a medium for delivery. It doesn't gain special abilities once its in the tank.

I think you've got a good/basic plan
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 02:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugburnTanks View Post
Hello everyone! This is my first post in a while as I've just recently re-kindled my love for the hobby. So currently all of my tanks are dirted with a sand or fine gravel cap, except one. It's a 56 tall but factoring in the scape and all sand bottom it's closer to 50. Since the bottom is only sand you'd image growing much else then simple plants is difficult. My plan would to be to drain water and keep fish in tank water with a bubbler while I scoop out sand, put in a bottom layer of dirt, put the sand back in to cap and then fish and plants. Now I've never done a complete substrate change with out saving most if not all of the water, but I don't have 10 5 gallon buckets for this project. So my question is, is it safe to do this and keep only about 25% of the water? With the filters, plants and sand have enough Bio to put a fully stocked tank back in? I do 50% water changes weekly so it'd essentially just be another 25% for that week. Thanks is advance.

My advice, if you are dirting the tank, take the fish out in a large bucket of tank water, empty the tank, dirt it, put a 1" sand cap and refill the tank.

If you try to put soil into a tank with water, you will create mud everywhere.

If you need more buckets, buy a cheap 10 or 20g trashcan from Home Depot.
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
I don't see the need to save the water if your tap is of similar parameters. There is very little bacteria or anything of much substantial importance in the old tank water. It's all on substrate and other media. You may have a decent ammonia spike from the soil though.. Might work... then again you may have some problems.. just test and be prepared with Prime and water changes.

I thought this was the case but I've heard so many different things I always save what I know is safe.

Will Ogburn
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisX View Post
My advice, if you are dirting the tank, take the fish out in a large bucket of tank water, empty the tank, dirt it, put a 1" sand cap and refill the tank.

If you try to put soil into a tank with water, you will create mud everywhere.

If you need more buckets, buy a cheap 10 or 20g trashcan from Home Depot.

Yeah I knew that! . I'm sure the fish would LOVE chocking on chunks of dirt and mud water!

Will Ogburn
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Changing Substrate in a Tank (return post!)

Well Ive done it. Followed all steps of my plan with no mishaps. So far no deaths or unhealthy fish, but Ill be watching with siphon in hand for a while. Water was a bit murky but that was likely because of me adding some new sand in addition to my current sand to make a good cap. Only thing Im worried for are my apistos... them being sensitive and all. I have a tank I could put them in temporarily but now that theyre in there would the additional change just mean more stress? Better of where they are? Thanks.

Will Ogburn
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 11:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I've done it before, but I put the fish into buckets so that I was able to drain all of the water, add dirt, cap it, and then refill. It worked for me, but I can see the possibility of an ammonia spike. I literally killed and entire tank a couple months ago just draining and refilling a tank after moving it. Had a huge ammonia spike and everyone was dead in 10 minutes. Is the water reasonably clear?

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Now that i did a water change and filter cartridge Chang water is crystal clear. No algae blooms, no weird tints, none of that. I think the cloudiness was from the small amount of sand I put in. But so far all is well

Will Ogburn

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode