11.4 Carbon Rili tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
11.4 Carbon Rili tank

Forgive the cloudiness. I tore out all the stems and Monte Carlo. I did my best to siphon the substrate, but I didn't get as much as I wanted. This tank has been up and running for about a year. It's got a 2213 and yeast reactor CO2. I had a cherry shrimp colony a while back and it did awesome. No luck with Tigers or Crystal Reds. I was thinking of doing half tap pH 7.2 and half distilled RO water. If I have to get the numbers just right I will get all the tests and remineralize if that's what you think I should do. Since they are neocardinia I figured this would be fine.
Just a couple stems of Bacopa and 2 Hygro corymbosa that the fish were eating in the 75 along with a couple crypts now. I was going to do some moss and Buces on a piece of spider wood. I need to get a heater too. Any members here sell carbon rilis?? I'm not ready for the more delicate shrimp and I'd like to get colonies going in my other tanks with the culls. I may even do a moss or java fern wall. Picking up some egg crate for another tank tomorrow.
johnson18 and johnson18 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'm closing in on the scape that I want. Need to find a piece of driftwood and some stones to cover in moss.

Bump:
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'm going to pick up some wood and another bag of Floramax for this tank. Next week I'll get the water figured out. At the very least I need to measure everything so parameters are within range.

I've got a left over little hagen mini elite that I'm going to stick in here to disperse the CO2 A bit better.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

New piece of wood and I'm trying to get some kind of idea of how I want this to look. I'm out of superglue gel so the moss is sitting there on the mesh for now. I'm going to attach it to the top and one side of the wood and then some buces on the front. I'm going to give it a little more time. Ordered my new regulator today so next week I should be able to put my 2 bottle DIY C02 with hagen elite mini filter diffuser in there. I'm pretty excited!
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Did an 80% water change as I left the lights on too long the other day and had an algae bloom. Adding 10ml of metricide a day and cutting lighting back to 3 hours until things clear up. I'm considering tibee's since they produce a variety of offspring which would be cool.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 09:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
Did an 80% water change as I left the lights on too long the other day and had an algae bloom. Adding 10ml of metricide a day and cutting lighting back to 3 hours until things clear up. I'm considering tibee's since they produce a variety of offspring which would be cool.
You considering taibees? or tibee's? one includes tiger shrimp. I read your response my journal, will respond accordingly in time... thanks
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrungOut View Post
You considering taibees? or tibee's? one includes tiger shrimp. I read your response my journal, will respond accordingly in time... thanks
I think it's the one that is a cross between tigers and CRS. They produce the different color variations I think?? Taiwan Bees? I'm still researching. I am willing to do a buffering substrate, but I don't want to get over my head and lose a $100 colony of shrimp. I need to just suck it up and test my water and figure out what I am working with. Some of the things I see others having to do to get breeding Cardinia species is a little more than I want to tackle. The PFR colony I had totally tool care of itself with me just feeding algae wafers and doing a 50% water change every couple of weeks.
DennisSingh and DennisSingh like this.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 01:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Some of the things I see others having to do to get breeding Cardinia species is a little more than I want to tackle. The PFR colony I had totally tool care of itself with me just feeding algae wafers and doing a 50% water change every couple of weeks.
You can totally get the system to where your neocardinia are. Where they maintain themselves. Get water parameters right set and leave it....
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrungOut View Post
You can totally get the system to where your neocardinia are. Where they maintain themselves. Get water parameters right set and leave it....
Are you saying I could get a caridinia colony to that level of maintenance if I set it up right or should I stick with neocardinia? Ive got sludge / slime algae just going crazy in the tank despite only having lights on for a couple hours the last several days. So I cleaned out the filter and got rid of the finer filter media in favor of some course stuff. I'm going to dose 8ml of metricide a day and do only 2 hours of light. Once I get the other C02 systems set up I'll transfer the little yeast reactor with the 2 bottles and hagen mini elite onto this tank and just blast the C02 for 6 hours a day and then cut the lights. I'm hoping a couple weeks of that will get the algae and slime under control. I'm not putting shrimp in there with as gross as it is now.
Are Taiwan Bees the same as Mischlings?? I really like the carbon rili's and it doesn't seem that too many people have them. It would be cool to have the variation in offspring with the caridinia species though.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I want to be able to get some colonies going in my other tanks with culls... which isn't going to happen with caridinia... so I definately want some carbon rili... but could I do both in this size tank?
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 06:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Are you saying I could get a caridinia colony to that level of maintenance if I set it up right or should I stick with neocardinia? Ive got sludge / slime algae just going crazy in the tank despite only having lights on for a couple hours the last several days. So I cleaned out the filter and got rid of the finer filter media in favor of some course stuff. I'm going to dose 8ml of metricide a day and do only 2 hours of light. Once I get the other C02 systems set up I'll transfer the little yeast reactor with the 2 bottles and hagen mini elite onto this tank and just blast the C02 for 6 hours a day and then cut the lights. I'm hoping a couple weeks of that will get the algae and slime under control. I'm not putting shrimp in there with as gross as it is now.
Are Taiwan Bees the same as Mischlings?? I really like the carbon rili's and it doesn't seem that too many people have them. It would be cool to have the variation in offspring with the caridinia species though.
Yes you could get a cardinia colony to that level of maintenance.
I would use matricide with shrimp, they hinders reproduction and can kill them if overdosed
algae is fine, thats food for them
mischlings are crs/cbs that have the genetics of taiwan bees and can produce them.

You can fit both in the same tank, as long you keep the water pristine, i do not see a problem. I've seen tanks just utterly flooded with healthy shrimps, it looks disgusting to me, but done.
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Figured out most of my issue was a lack of flow. Adding an airstone and in 1 day it looks way better. Still need to add a little more substrate and swap out DIY C02 systems, but I can hopefully do that this weekend and then it's times to add shrimp. There's still plenty of stuff in there for them to much on and help clean up. Also the moss in my other big tanks is growing like crazy so I'll add some more in here maybe on some stones or something. I know shrimp love moss!! I may have to move this tank out of here soon though since I'll be hiding a 10# tank and reactor under there soon.. we will cross that bridge at another time.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I need to get some moss in there, but I think it's ready for occupants.
jakeshady and jakeshady like this.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I've got some blue / carbon rili's on the way. Should be here by the end of the week. I started with 6. As long as they are good and healthy and do well in the tank for a few days I'll order more. I'd like to start at 20 or so.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 01:32 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Looking a lot cleaner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode